Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data?
Quote | Reply
I saw L/R data when I first started using my P1 pedals (it was 50/50) and promptly forgot about it. Now I'd like to see that again but I can't figure out how I ever saw that data. I'm using a Garmin 520, Trainerroad, Kickr Core, and Strava together but I'm not seeing the data anywhere. I swore I found it somewhere in the 520 before.

Can anyone tell me how to navigate to this?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Last edited by: bryce_d: Mar 6, 19 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Garmin connect it's on the summary page.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just not seeing it. Are you talking about this page?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bryce_d wrote:
I saw L/R data when I first started using my P1 pedals (it was 50/50) and promptly forgot about it. Now I'd like to see that again but I can't figure out how I ever saw that data. I'm using a Garmin 520, Trainerroad, Kickr Core, and Strava together but I'm not seeing the data anywhere. I swore I found it somewhere in the 520 before.

Can anyone tell me how to navigate to this?

I bought P1s a few months ago and was pretty sure I was getting power readings from both pedals (at least originally). More recently., it turns out that I wasn't getting a reading from the left pedal. When I no longer got power readings from the pedal, I thought it might be a battery issue. Changed the batteries, but to no avail. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. I still use the Wahoo Kickr app. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [PatMcNichol61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know both pedals are sending signals, because I just updated the firmware through the PowerTap app, and you have to do each pedal separately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be the page you would see it on.

But - you have to have recorded the activity with your Garmin, if that particular activity was auto-uploaded from Zwift or another trainer app to Garmin Connect, then the app (Zwift) doesn't record L/R data, and therefore does not send it to Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The app (not website) has it on the summary page, but on the website above what you screen shotted there should be charts, ETA if not there likely what was said above, ie. not loading though Garmin connect. This is from a race two days ago

Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 6, 19 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's from the Garmin upload, not from the Strava upload.

I'll get the device to "forget" the pedals and try to start from scratch, see if that makes a difference. I have a session planned for my lunch break today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also add power balance as a data field on your 520 to make sure that it is at least transmitting.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [PatMcNichol61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The right should be a slave to the left in ANT+ mode, so is it safe to say you're using Bluetooth to connect?

If that's the case, PT has mentioned some (most?) devices are unable to incoorporate the two separate Bluetooth signals from the pedals into one coherent power measurement and ends up reporting a single-sided number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the P1s, so I checked her Garmin connect and sure enough there is no L/R balance in her recent ride files. But like you I could have sworn it used to be there. So I looked back at some older files and sure enough on Jan 16th it is there and then it disappeared on Jan17. Some time this winter she got fresh batteries and then checked for firmware updates but I feel like that was more in the November-December range. But I suppose that could have been then...
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
The right should be a slave to the left in ANT+ mode, so is it safe to say you're using Bluetooth to connect?

I'm using BT and ANT+.

Pedals are paired to 520 via ANT+.
Pedals paired to Trainerroad via BT.
Kickr Core paired to Trainerroad via BT.
Kickr Core is using powermatch, so Trainerroad senses power from pedals and Kickr adjusts resistance based on that data.

When I have time I'll try isolating everything. Just try the pedals in ANT+ with no other apps running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like if I have TrainerRoad/Strava linked to Garmin Connect, Garmin Connect throws out the duplicate ride that I record with my 520, and so it's throwing out the ride with the L/R data.

When I record a ride only with the 520, the L/R data is there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
If that's the case, PT has mentioned some (most?) devices are unable to incoorporate the two separate Bluetooth signals from the pedals into one coherent power measurement and ends up reporting a single-sided number.

bryce_d wrote:
It looks like if I have TrainerRoad/Strava linked to Garmin Connect, Garmin Connect throws out the duplicate ride that I record with my 520, and so it's throwing out the ride with the L/R data.

When I record a ride only with the 520, the L/R data is there.

These two make sense then.

Personally, I would unlink trainerroad from Garmin and keep Garmin connect as the 'pure' repository of all workouts. The data is not crunched through another software (TR) and shipped over. If you ever forget to start the garmin or it otherwise borks, you can always manually transfer that file over.
I do the same with zwift since I don't want 'miles' in my data while I'm on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1: How to see left/right data? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm going to do.

Also need to research what drills I need to do to get my torque effectiveness and power smoothness higher.

Quote Reply