Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with air purifiers?
Quote | Reply
Hello everybody,
I live with my family near a busy street and we noticed that if we keep the windows tilted for a while, a lot of dust flows in. Constantly cleaning is really annoying and if we keep our windows closed the air is quite stuffy .. after a bit of research on the internet, I came across some air purifiers and wanted to ask you if it is actually worth to buy them. On this page https://devices4home.com/best-air-purifier/ , I have found some good overviews of what a cleaner can do...
We are currently thinking to buy a Bissell air400 but before I spend my money, I would like to know if you had some experience with such devices and is this investment worthwhile?
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with air purifiers? [rerna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have an ionizing air purifier. We live in rural Canada so there is little pollution - the idea was to use it during pollen season as my wife has seasonal allergies.

But why not just do this:

Put the fan in your open window

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the air purifiers do the same thing. Channel air through a filter. One main recommendation I would have is look to see how much it costs to replace the actual filters. They can be somewhat similar to printers. The unit may be cheaper but the cost to replace the filters can be higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with air purifiers? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Put the fan in your open window

Actually don't do that. The point is to filter the existing air in the house. Personally, I would put the filter on the other side of the fan so the air is filtered before being drawn through the fan. This will keep the fan clean and allow you to use much less tape to keep it in place. Furthermore I would use a foam pre-filter that you can wash periodically to keep the more expensive HEPA (that was not a HEPA filter BTW) clear of large particles.

Of course, I'm directly contradicting my employer here but I actually fix flow hoods and Bio-safety cabinets for them which use real HEPA filters so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/...r-purifier-in-china/

This is relevant

You need to get a seperate particulate measuring device then select a purifier that can manage the air changes and space

I was in Beijing for 5 months last year. Its pollution is mind blowingly bad. This saved my existence
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with air purifiers? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Actually don't do that. The point is to filter the existing air in the house.

The OP started off with the premise that he opens the window to get fresh air but is worried about the particulate (dust) and/or car exhaust coming in.

If the issue is the bulk air in the house then he needs to consider how the house handles air intake from outside. Typical North American homes have a primary air inlet from the outside that then feeds the furnace / AC and is distributed by central ducting. Most homes have a filter (HEPA cartridge or electrostatic) to filter that air. Improving this with a better filter, better seals and better maintenance will make a bigger difference for general house air quality than adding some small, residential use air purifier. A better set-up includes a HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) that continuously exchanges air with the outside and passes it through a filter.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple RabbitAir units in the house.. I've been happy with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with air purifiers? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Actually don't do that. The point is to filter the existing air in the house.

The OP started off with the premise that he opens the window to get fresh air but is worried about the particulate (dust) and/or car exhaust coming in.

Missed that part. Fair enough.
Quote Reply