Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia?
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on how to rid the pain around the ball of my 'ring' toe? Started after ramping up my running in Hokas (plenty of foot room in the toe box) about 32 days ago.. Rested it for 30 days (no running) and the pain still comes and goes. Xray showed no break (per Dr.), but I know it's hard to see on an Xray. Did a 2.5 miler yesterday and felt some on and off pain, but wasn't too bad. Today, I really feel it... rolling, massage, and Ibuprofen seem to help, but I want to continue running thru it if I can... if that's even possible. Being 56 yo doesn't help with recovery time either.... what to do?
Last edited by: jerrettmc: Mar 5, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [jerrettmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you googled "Morton's Neuroma"?
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [jimmytheeagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes... however, I'm currently in denial that Mortan's may indeed be my problem.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 55. Started up for me about 4 years ago. Wider shoes metatarsal pads for most of that time. Was replacing my running shoes every couple hundred miles. Had nerve removed in both feet end of December and so far doing great. I’ve been officiating basketball and running since February, 3 weeks of swimming to date and was only off the bike for first week.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [jimmytheeagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info... how's the numbness with nerve removed?

Much appreciated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be shoe related. I had toe pain with the original Hoka cliftons and recently with Altra escalante racer (but I'm fine with the standard escalante). As soon as I changed to a different shoe the pain went away.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Bondi's, my foot began hurting using them... switched to New Balance 1080s, but didn't help. Going to go back to the Asics Cumulus next time I run. No run for 1 week though to try to let my foot heal on its own. I will swim and bike in the meantime... hopefully won't hurt on the bike.

Switching to shoes that are advertised well may not be in my feet's best interest.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jerrettmc wrote:
Any thoughts on how to rid the pain around the ball of my 'ring' toe? Started after ramping up my running in Hokas (plenty of foot room in the toe box) about 32 days ago.. Rested it for 30 days (no running) and the pain still comes and goes. Xray showed no break (per Dr.), but I know it's hard to see on an Xray. Did a 2.5 miler yesterday and felt some on and off pain, but wasn't too bad. Today, I really feel it... rolling, massage, and Ibuprofen seem to help, but I want to continue running thru it if I can... if that's even possible. Being 56 yo doesn't help with recovery time either.... what to do?

When that happened to me here is what I went through over a two year period.

Morton's Toe potential so treated it like that. Doctors gave me injections to try to heal (steroids) or kill (alcohol) the nerve. Didn't really work.

Finally Dr Perry Julien, in Atlanta who has a lot of experience with runners, gave me two B vitamin shots in that nerve. That worked.

Also it could be "gout". After the nerve pain was gone a couple years later, pain across the beefy part of the forefoot came back. Felt like walking on pins, needles and glass at it's worst. It was gout or high levels or of uric acid from working out and muscle metabolising itself - catabolism. Besides the pain, the other sign was my workout clothes (especially the shoes) smelled like urine.

If I were you, I would get your doctor to get with Dr Julien on the B vitamin shots. Long term you might wonder if not hydrating enough or catabolism is irritating the nerves down there.

Mine happened in my 50s. In my 60s now and back to being OK.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jerrettmc wrote:
I have the Bondi's, my foot began hurting using them... switched to New Balance 1080s, but didn't help. Going to go back to the Asics Cumulus next time I run. No run for 1 week though to try to let my foot heal on its own. I will swim and bike in the meantime... hopefully won't hurt on the bike.

Switching to shoes that are advertised well may not be in my feet's best interest.

Thanks!

I agree that it might simply be the combination of new shoes and ramping up your running. I have had similar pain that I swore must be a stress fx that was due to a crease in my shoe where it hits the toe. Take a few days of no running, hit the pool and bike, switch back to your old shoe or the same model, and slowly get back into it.

If you feel like you need more cushioning in your old shoe, you can always experiment with a cushioned insole like the spenco walker/runner, or the spenco cross trainer- which is the same but with more forefoot cushioning- have had great luck with those models over the years.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vitamin B shots... sounds like I would have nothing to lose...

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Pain - Metatarsalgia? [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spenco? Never heard of them... but I will check them out!

Thanks!
Quote Reply