Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: On what items have you gone cheap with no ill effects? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm with you on sunglasses. I really only need them in the car, the last few pairs I've had are from Home Depot. I think they were $7 or $8 in the checkout aisle.

Maybe Home Depot stocks better glasses up there. Last two pair of $5 sunglasses I got at HD managed to scratch in the first week. I don't like using sunglasses with scratches. So I have decided expensive sunglasses are better. $7.99 at CVS glasses seem to be much more scratch resistant. I've had two pair. Current pair for two months and I've dropped them lens down on the pavement and just throw them in motorcycle top box and they are still scratch free.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: On what items have you gone cheap with no ill effects? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:
J
I cheaped out on dishwasher pods recently. Bad decision. Now I have a huge box of shitty pods that don't clean all that well.

More importantly, how do they taste?

can't believe you didn't get more props for this. If I had been drinking anything I would have spit it out laughing. Good one.
Quote Reply
Re: On what items have you gone cheap with no ill effects? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran out of Gilette stupid expensive 5-blade razors and decided that I wasn't paying for that anymore. Picked up a bag of 10 Bic twin blade disposables (no pivoting head, no fancy strips. just 2 blades and a handle) for $3. I can't tell the difference in either how long it takes to shave or how close the shave is when I'm done.

If you mean "Cheapest", I can't think of anything. If you mean "Not spending more money than you need to to get the job done"...pretty much everything.

I've run into few products that I ended up feeling like a cheaper version of the item did not do 90% of the job at 50% of the price.

I've been looking at what I buy from the "Best bang for your buck" standpoint since I can remember. Is a $300 bottle of wine really 10 times better than a $30 dollar bottle of wine? Probably not. Is a $30 bottle of wine 10X better than a $3 bottle of wine...probably. Almost evry product has a sweet spot. Obviously everyone's "Sweet spot" is a bit different.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: On what items have you gone cheap with no ill effects? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean stuff where the “premium” product provides no additional benefit to you over the less expensive substitute. What you consider to be a “benefit” is totally a personal, subjective judgement.

I don’t like the store brand cheap toothbrush, for example. I don’t feel like my teeth get as clean as with a better toothbrush. You may not find a difference between the cheap ones and an Oral B or Colgate toothbrush.

I’m not talking about “it does 90% of the job”. I’m talking about “I can’t tell the difference on anything that I actually want the product to do”

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next