Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to tris and been on a Premier Tactical for the last month. It's a great bike, super stable. I went to ERO to get a refit/check-up last Saturday, and there for 4!!! premier tacticals getting fitted there. Dan answers every question within a few hours. Can't recommend him and the bike highly enough.

One other interesting note, I was in a market for this or a Canyon Speedmax SLX and this tested faster, but can't mention who told me.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [JerseyDragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think the first step in all of this is ditch your fitter and find a 100% independent fitter... one not attached to a shop and one that is paid ONLY to first find out what bike he can fit you on, then fit you on that bike as he / she said they could.

the only thing the fitter needs to sell you on is the service they provide.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Damon's opinion, that the only way to an independent opinion is thru an independent fitter. Try one of the fitters on the ST database.

That said, given that you have already paid for a fit, I bought a Trek SC 5 years ago and honestly you cant go wrong with one. And, while I admit that I don't follow this site as much as I used to, I have never heard of Premier Tactical before this thread (and yes, I have heard of Canyon, Dimond, Ventum etc). So for me this would be an easy decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going by your name- jerseydragon - go see Missy at ERO in PA or another fitter that is not affiliated with any brand to sell.
I have an SC that I absolutely love but that is me and I’ve never been on a PT. Maybe I would love that too. But I do know that she had me in a perfect long distance position in one shot. And I spent months adjusting everything and I hated the bike before I went to her. She’s not a dealer and she knows what she’s doing, she learned from one of the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a Trek SC for 5 years and while it is a slick ride I couldn't get in a more aggressive position on the Small. The XS Premier Tactical was a much better fit allowing me to get in a much better position. This problem may not be an issue for you though!
However, the bike is awesome and just as speedy as the Trek SC. I am not worried about parts as Dan has made the bike quite easy to work on and the nuts and bolts aren't particularly difficult to source. Plus, Dan is one heck of a guy!! Best service ever and his passion shows in both his products and communication with the customer. Heck, he even flew to Vancouver BC (Canada) just to make sure a washer wasn't potentially missing from the front end of my bike!!

I am very excited to see what else is coming down the pipeline in terms of bikes and products from Dan!

So, yes, +1 for Premier Tactical

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i think the first step in all of this is ditch your fitter and find a 100% independent fitter... one not attached to a shop and one that is paid ONLY to first find out what bike he can fit you on, then fit you on that bike as he / she said they could.

the only thing the fitter needs to sell you on is the service they provide.

Exactly this. Get yourself a different fitter, grab your money and run.

What you get with Trek - well known brand with a worldwide supply chain. Fast bike. If you go this route, I would wait for the Trek announcement this month.

What you get with PT - fast bike. An owner who will walk you through any issues and you have his contact with return emails within minutes sometimes.

Welcome to triathlon. Glad to have you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you have rightly hinted at fit is the refining factor as both are well tought out aero bikes.

You could arguably say that the Premier might by cheaper/ easier to adjust as it uses standard extensions straight out the box and there are a number of people that sell pedestal spacers with different tilts etc. While the speedconcept requires an expensive part if you want to use other aftermarket extensions. I am not sure how easy it is to alter reach on the Premier, but again different stem options aren't cheap on the Speedconcept though they seem to be easy to get hold of.

All that being said the Speedconcept is a great bike and as stated currently well supported (though this might change if they go down the blooming disc route). It is certainly on my short list for possible replacement of my battle scarred Plasma 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get an independent fit... not only are you being sold, you're being sold a bad fit most likely. Get a proper TT fit from a knowledgeable independent fitter.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd question the fitter too in addition to the SC vs. PT choice. I have a local Trek dealer and the fitter there is one of the most expensive in the area and probably one of the last ones I'd trust to give me a good fit.

In regards to the actual bikes, both are great choices IMO. I ride a SC and would recommend it... the only thing I don't love about it would be the front end construction... I travel with the bike a couple times a year and breaking it down/reassembling isn't terribly hard but can be a bit a pain.

It's part of the pain that comes with having a bike with aero stems, hidden brakes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your Bike-Fitter will be fitting you to the bike, not vice versa.

You'd probably be better off having a fit with one of the highly regarded independent bike fitters around here and then decide on a bike that fits you - it's quite a bit of cash to drop on something you may regret down the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up getting?
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
What did you end up getting?

2019 Trek Speed concept project one with Di2.

Long story, I laid out a list of plus and negatives for both. Made a few final calls and sent a few emails - then judged the responses and info that I gathered. There really was no wrong answer. In the end the Premier is an amazing bike, and the Trek is also an amazing bike. It really was a coin toss with the coin landing on the Trek side for me.

So far I have about 300 miles on the Trek and one race (ETC) and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Congrats!
Quote Reply

Prev Next