Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape?
Quote | Reply
Zipp super 9 comes with rim tape. Can i use it without the tape? It is clincher, rim brakes, intended tube is conti race light or supersonic.
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should use latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should use latex tubes.

I have been considering this, but got mainly concerned that latex is going to loose pressure while the bike is waiting in transition ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will lose about 1 psi while you are swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, they give you rim tape for a reason. I tried this and the tube went flat in under an hour. Guessing the carbon rim bed may have small imperfections or splinters.
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh@Silca recommended tape for the imperfection as well as heat dissipation from rim braking (esp for latex)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you're bombing a descent at 45mph in your aero bars, do you really want to worry that a burr, seam or other imperfection in your disc's carbon construction is going to poke a hole in your tube?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
Zipp super 9 comes with rim tape. Can i use it without the tape? It is clincher, rim brakes, intended tube is conti race light or supersonic.

Conti supersonic tubes are about the least reliable tubes IMHO. Easily by a factor of 10x over something like the Conti Race Light. With that being said, no, I wouldn't run without rim tape for a few reasons. One being the tires probably aren't designed for no rim tape so you are increasing the odds of something like a blow-off with the smaller diameter. Two, you could puncture the tube, cause it to tear, or wear down thru abrasion. I myself would get away with a layer or two of electrical tape at the minimum. Why don't you want to use rim tape BTW?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not for all the reasons above... for a few grams you can put tubeless tape in there, eliminate risk of puncture from stray carbon fiber, eliminate the risk of heat flatting, and help with latex tube installation by having a more slippery tire well surface to allow the tube to orient itself during install..

So for a couple of grams, you can gain some significant peace of mind
Worth it
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At worlds last year the Danish mechanic installed the clincher tyre without any rim tape on my Roval 321. I was a bit surprised and asked the other mechanic that is working for QuickStep. He said they usually don't use rim tape on that wheel either when running tubes. Don't know if he was just saying it so they didn't have to install rim tape and refit the tyre.

I would definitely use rim tape if installing myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
At worlds last year the Danish mechanic installed the clincher tyre without any rim tape on my Roval 321.

I found the bed of the 321 to not be worth the risk to run sans tape. I'm a fan of a single layer of packing tape which adds little height to the rim and plenty of protection for a tube.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am a little lost, when did rim tape become a bad thing??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use tubeless rim tape like Stan's or Silca and latex tubes. Pretreat your latex tubes with sealant for A races

vladi wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bora mechanics do the same with the 321, but that is somewhat driven by the fact that the wheel is nearly impossible to install tires on!

Personally, I greatly prefer and recommend a thin tape in there to eliminate any chance of a rim bed imperfection causing an issue, plus the added thermal benefit. Tony Martin flatted his Vredestein latex tube in a Zipp disc at the TdF a few years back without rim tape and when we tested it found that even the thinnest tubeless type rim tapes will buy you an additional 15-20 seconds of heavy braking before the tube becomes heat damaged

Not worth the risk in my book

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, I was also quite surprised they didn't use rim tape for clinchers - tubeless I could see as you don't have the heat problems, nor the splinter problem, and those tyres are usually much harder to install. I didn't have much problem installing a Vittoria non-tubeless tyre on the 321.

So, maybe just a single Silca tubeless tape layer and a Silca latex tube in the 321 when I get it back? ;)

Going a bit off topic, I found it curious that the recent BRR test found a larger butyl tube having lower Crr than a smaller butyl tube (both in a larger tyre), but not sure this would necessarily apply across tubes and/or latex tubes. But remembered you mentioned something about your Silca tubes having slightly lower Crr than standard Vittoria tubes and now I seem to be able to track them down in Europe I'm thinking of switching from Vredestein.
Quote Reply
Re: Can i use zipp super 9 clincher without rim tape? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
vladi wrote:

Conti supersonic tubes are about the least reliable tubes IMHO. Easily by a factor of 10x over something like the Conti Race Light. With that being said, no, I wouldn't run without rim tape for a few reasons. One being the tires probably aren't designed for no rim tape so you are increasing the odds of something like a blow-off with the smaller diameter. Two, you could puncture the tube, cause it to tear, or wear down thru abrasion. I myself would get away with a layer or two of electrical tape at the minimum. Why don't you want to use rim tape BTW?

Thanks! The reason is due to analogy with campagnolo bora wheels. They have no rim holes and so no rim tape. So i thought same could apply to super 9 disk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Bora mechanics do the same with the 321, but that is somewhat driven by the fact that the wheel is nearly impossible to install tires on!

Personally, I greatly prefer and recommend a thin tape in there to eliminate any chance of a rim bed imperfection causing an issue, plus the added thermal benefit. Tony Martin flatted his Vredestein latex tube in a Zipp disc at the TdF a few years back without rim tape and when we tested it found that even the thinnest tubeless type rim tapes will buy you an additional 15-20 seconds of heavy braking before the tube becomes heat damaged

Not worth the risk in my book

Josh

Hi Josh,

Your comment about the Roval 321 does not personnaly match my experience.
I'm on my second 321 (the first one went back for warranty before I even rode it as it was completely out of tolerance, but Specialized was perfect just sending back a new one) and installed tires on both. Honnestly I did NOT find it all that hard to install a tire on (tried both Continental and Vittoria Corsa Speed). On both it was with one layer of Silca tape + latex tube.

Awesome wheel if you accept that they don't run super true (but it happens to many disc wheels... except for the one that have spokes underneath like Hed Jet Disc which can be trued just like any other wheel...).

To the OP, in the past, I was using one layer of Notube tape on my Super9, also with latex tube. I would always use one layer for all the good reasons already given.
Quote Reply