Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Things you didn't know you should do around the house [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a great thread

1) dog hair - had never owned a dog before and now own a dog and a house (GSD). it sheds twice a year...for 6 months each time. cleaning up dog hair is basically just part of the routine now

2) pool - the house has a pool. when we were first moving in (march/april), i went to go turn off the pool pump to save some electricity. the pool turned green two weeks later. oops. tried to remedy myself, never made it. hired a pool company at that point, haha.

3) house has a swamp cooler - have learned a lot about that in the past months. first, how to drain the water line during the winter so as to prevent freezing, what all the components inside the cooler are and what they do, that you have to clean the water tray and replace the "media" every once in a while, etc.

things i haven't done yet but are mentioned frequently in this thread: blow out the dryer vent. ours is a very short run (<6ft) but whoever originally "set up" the laundry room made the vent a flexible one vs. solid and gave it a very snaky route. so i check the outlet every once in a while to make sure that air is moving through it easily. need to blow out the whole thing or replace with a solid vent at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you didn't know you should do around the house [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't see anyone mention this. You should know where your main water shut off is and be able to turn it off. You may just have a lever or you may need a "street key" you can buy from Home Depot for $10. Invaluable if you ever have a pipe burst or want to shut the water off while on vacation.

It's also handy to know where to shut off your gas line if you have natural gas lines.
Quote Reply

Prev Next