Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had PF in both feet due to bone spurs. Tried all the PT stuff, but the only thing that worked for me was surgery. Both feet. Injections did help, right up until I ran again.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem last summer.
Think that the best option for me was Shock wave therapy. I need 8 weeks of 20 min sessions once a week.
Change from vaporfly4% and hokas back to newton (how irony) and look for flat shoes this summer.

The sretching, rises, bearfoot, helps, but not completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different things work for different people - you can tell that, just from the variety of responses you've gotten here.

Things that have helped me:

-if I haven't moved for a while, like I've been lying down, or sitting for a while, before a first step i rotate my foot around a little bit and get the muscles warmed up. That helped a lot.
-wearing shoes around the house. (like others have said).
-stretching my calves.

Things that haven't helped me:

-rest.

YMMV, best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffered with PF for over two years and then it went to insertional AT for another year. I tried most all the non-invasive remedies posted on this forum. I was desperate for a cure. I thought my running days were done. Fast forward to today and I'm on day 84 of 100 runs in 100 days and before that I completed my first ultra. What worked for me? I believe rest (2 months no running) to calm it down (because I never really stopped during those three years). Always wearing something on my feet around the house (two pairs of very supportive sandals). Different running shoes (went back to Brooks Beast), and then started back slowly running using the BarryP plan. I read on here many years ago from a Dr. Roof that the reason there are so many reported cures for PF is that it's always the last thing that is tried that is given the credit for fixing it. That makes the most sense to me. Don't give up. Keep tri-ing!
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
347CX wrote:
My wife has been dealing with this for what seems a few years now. She has been seeing a PT and they are doing dry needling to her now. She's been to quite a few sessions and it appears to be helping a bit though I think it's a ways away from being resolved still. I had PF a decade ago which thankfully resolved through some of the more conventional methods, I can't imagine how awful it is for it to be chronic.
Same. I had PF twice. Both times it lasted a few months chronic (can't run) and probably at least 6-8 months sore after that but able to run. My lady on the other hand has had PF for a year now and it is just not going away. She too is doing all the right things but it's just not getting better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you will take me advice. It's cheap and easy. I was in the same position as you. Had it for about a year and tried all the recommendations. I finally had a friend recommend I find a PT or chiro that specializes in Graston. Graston is a specific type of soft tissue scraping, named after the guy that developed the tools. Long story short, I found a guy by me certified in it. I went three times a week for the first two week, after which I was almost symptom free. I then went twice a week for two more weeks and once per week for the last two weeks. After the first four weeks it was gone. No pain running, no pain in the morning, nothing. I've turned a few more people onto it with similar results. Nobody that went, that I know, didn't have it go away after a couple of weeks.

It saved me. I was able to give up running. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I read on here many years ago from a Dr. Roof that the reason there are so many reported cures for PF is that it's always the last thing that is tried that is given the credit for fixing it.

certainly fits with the various "and then I tried" and "I finally tried" etc in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [edwinj] Update - not PF, Fat Pad Atrophy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate all of the answers. As you can imagine this has been very frustrating. After being evaluated by the new Dr. his opinion is that my PF is not causing my the pain that I'm experiencing. It's actually Fat Pad Atrophy. The pain in my heel is much further back than what would normally be caused by PF and the MRI showed bruising in this area. I have since switched to gel insoles and taping my heel and the pain is greatly reduced. My custom orthotics were hard and provided little to no cushioning, which aggravated the problem.

Here is my treatment plan:
Continue stretching my calves
abstain from running for a few more weeks to allow the bone to heal
tape my heel to support the fat pad
switch to Hokas for the cushioning
transition to a forefoot running style
pray that this does the trick

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [edwinj] Update - not PF, Fat Pad Atrophy [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beware the Hoka Cliftons... the C3's and 4's aggravated my PF something terrible. I went to the Bondi 6's with double insoles, and all is well.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [PhxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was battling chronic PF last year, I tried the scraping which I did on my own following a video I watched. I only did it a couple times and found it helpful and think it may have set the stage for overcoming the PF. Basic idea was to put lotion on the bottom of my feet and use the biggest wrench I had to work the bottom of my feet. Think it was this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQhtavGoL6A

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone who's had luck with wearing a boot have a recommendation for one? I've tried sleeping with the sock, as well as with the braces that run only along the front of your ankle/top of foot, and haven't been able make those work (and actually sleep).
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis 1 year [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been thinking of this as a cause for my case for a few weeks now. Never so much as an twinge for two years wearing Nikes then a year wearing Clifton 5s. A few weeks after switching to Clifton 6s I got pain one day on a long run and wasn't smart enough to stop then and there. Now on my second pair of C6s and very mild (mostly annoyance) pain will not go away even after a good amount of rest. Obviously individual but anyone with thoughts about specific shoes causing PF occurrence?
Quote Reply

Prev Next