Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight loss struggles... is a nutrition coach the answer? Other thoughts? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I looked up 3 national brands for 0% fat Greek yogurt. Same ingredient list : rade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L Bulgaricus, S Thermophilus, L acidophilus, bifidus, l casei)
So seems like you are trying to villainize good products the way good babe does.

Of course if you want to find good products it's not that hard to find them.
Organic certified products for example have specifications regarding product transformation and so on...wich is a good thing.
Some brands have quality labels that ensures the customer about product quality,etc...

EDIT: Just came back from Costco. I checked for Greek yogurt from Kirkland. You know what ? Organic Kirkland yogurt has protein powder in it, but "normal" Kirkland has the exact same ingredients list as the one you got up here...confusing, confusing...

Also depending on food administration laws in different countries (what's accepted or not as food ingredients, etc...) , and food lobbies, there are different ways to produce "quality food"....

But we have lots of off the shelf products that have this kind of label in them ( Liberty brand, ( one of the most popular brands in eastern Canada) Greek 0% yogurt) :

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Mar 7, 19 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss struggles... is a nutrition coach the answer? Other thoughts? [slappymcgee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While it's not a specific plan, there's one thing that has helped me make better choices nutritionally that I hope might help some of you who struggle with body composition as well.

I find that my hunger at the end of a long training session/day is based on my body's demands for nutrients, not just calories. I could eat dozens of cookies and still be hungry, but a veggie-packed salad will satisfy with a fraction of the calories. I don't dispute that sugar and starch can be beneficial for glycogen replenishment after a workout, and usually have at least a banana or bowl of oatmeal (usually with maple syrup or honey, often with a big handful of berries) immediately after training...but for the hunger that comes later, a big salad or just some steamed/roasted vegetables will quiet the hunger without me overeating. I make it a point to try to have a salad every day, as part of ensuring I eat the recommended 6-10 servings of fruit and veg daily. If I'm still hungry after I've eaten lots of nutrient-dense foods, I'll add in calories to ensure my energy requirements are met. With a specific nod to StroBro, I'm not sure that just broccoli would do it for me; I find myself much better nourished with a wide variety of fruit and veggies to give me a greater range of micronutrients.

Always veggies first, though. I have a sweet potato for breakfast every workday (after a 20min strength workout), a container of carrot and cucumber sticks as a mid-morning snack (10am-ish), a salad (spinach, avocado & berries - no dressing) and a few almonds (less than 10) as a mid-day pick-me-up, a banana as pre-lunch run fuel, then veggie-packed leftovers from the previous night's dinner as my post-run meal around 4pm. I know that wouldn't be possible with travel, but many concessions carry pre-cut veggie sticks and hard boiled eggs in easily transportable containers, and most restaurants have some kind of salad and hot vegetable side dish. You can get your nutrient dense foods in if you make the effort to seek them out.

Not saying I'm anyone's model of race weight, but since figuring this out (and returning to consistent training after an injury-plagued year), the scale is moving in the right direction even as a woman whose 40th trip 'round the sun is nearing its end.

Quote | Reply
Hey Slappymcgee - looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to contribute.

It sounds like you have a lot of success when you put your mind towards losing weight. If I understand you correctly, you're looking to lose about 40 lbs to be more competitive. What have you done in the past that you've had success with? Could you do more of that, today, to achieve the results you're looking for? What's the simplest, easiest thing you could start doing today that would put you on the path of weight loss?

If you don't have a plan in place and are simply looking for a starting point here's what I can suggest -

If you're already tracking food and are comfortable doing that you have a leg up on most. A great starting point for most folks, looking to lose weight, is using their hand to measure food and eating slowly. for each meal try to include all of these:

1-2 palm size servings of lean protein
1-2 fist size servings of vegetables
1-2 cupped handfuls of carbohydrates
1-2 thumbs of fat
1-2 cups of water

Try to eat slowly and mindfully. Pay attention to your hunger and fullness cues. Your body will do a great job in telling you when it's hungry and full if you listen. If you notice that you're not eating everything on your plate than take a serving of fat or carbs away. If you're starving after you've consumed your meal consider adding an additional meal during the day or adding another serving of lean protein, veggies carbs or fat to each meal.

Track your intake for 2 weeks. Compare your 2nd week weight average with your 1st week weight average. Did your weight go up? go down? Stay the same?

If your gaining weight or staying the same weight, take a few servings of fat/carbs away per day. If you're losing weight, keep at it.

***Again, this is just a starting point/suggestion***

Ultimately, the laws of thermodynamics trump all. If you consume more energy than you burn, you'll gain weight. If you consume less energy than you burn you lose weight. Whichever method that you can consistently do day-in and day-out will be your best method. The way that you achieve your weight loss is almost more important than the actual weight loss. If your habits are not sustainable than you'll ultimately continue yo-yo'ing. Build a house with a solid foundation and the rest will follow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next