Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it?
Quote | Reply
I don't live in a state where MJ is legal and haven't cared enough about it to find a supplier locally. But, with the legalization in some states has me considering options.

I drink booze daily after work and weekends to catch a buzz or take the edge off/relax, whatever. Speaking of 2-3 drinks max thing to relax.

I don't really like the baggage that comes with alcohol though..groggy in the morning, weight thing, low-T (hi other thread), not really into the type of buzz alcohol gives me sometimes. And a big one is that at this point I feel like I need to have one after work, so there is the addiction side of it.

Any thoughts if moving to pot to take the edge off and give up the booze is a path? Does pot make me hungry so that I'll eat more and gain weight (munchies). Will pot make me want to drink booze also, instead..? I know these are dub n00b questions. I've smoked it in the past on occasions back in college, but I've always been drunk at the same time, so couldn't really tell much about what it felt like.

I'd like to give up alcohol but still like something to cop a small buzz when i need. I don't have any desire to add pot on top of booze.

Quote Reply
Re: Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question. Do you think you have a problem? What was the last day you had no drinks?
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pot will drop T as well...

Sounds like you’d be a daily use guy, so it’s a definite possibility.

Once I’m retired from the Army, I’d be interested in CBD for joint pain, but won’t go within a mile of it for now.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I don't live in a state where MJ is legal and haven't cared enough about it to find a supplier locally. But, with the legalization in some states has me considering options.

I drink booze daily after work and weekends to catch a buzz or take the edge off/relax, whatever. Speaking of 2-3 drinks max thing to relax.

I don't really like the baggage that comes with alcohol though..groggy in the morning, weight thing, low-T (hi other thread), not really into the type of buzz alcohol gives me sometimes. And a big one is that at this point I feel like I need to have one after work, so there is the addiction side of it.

Any thoughts if moving to pot to take the edge off and give up the booze is a path? Does pot make me hungry so that I'll eat more and gain weight (munchies). Will pot make me want to drink booze also, instead..? I know these are dub n00b questions. I've smoked it in the past on occasions back in college, but I've always been drunk at the same time, so couldn't really tell much about what it felt like.

I'd like to give up alcohol but still like something to cop a small buzz when i need. I don't have any desire to add pot on top of booze.

When I was a kid I smoked pounds of weed. I would wake up and have a bowl or doobie.

I never drank unless I was really hitting the drugs hard.

So no, the pot didn't make me drink.

Oh, pot makes me paranoid now so I don't smoke it anymore.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Serious question. Do you think you have a problem? What was the last day you had no drinks?

Possibly and part of why i'm thinking on it.

I don't drink a lot at once...thus my 3 max comment. I don't like being drunk. It would be very rare for me to have more than 3 drinks in a night, even at a party or whatever.

However, I do drink very frequently, after work. Consistently.

Last day with no drinks? a couple days ago. I don't drink every day, but most days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone back and forth over the past few years, meaning on weekends I'll either have a couple of drinks or smoke a little pot. I much prefer the pot. Just a more enjoyable high, doesn't make me sleepy like alcohol, and no hangover the next morning. I wish our state would get on the ball with opening the dispensaries because I'd like to try the edibles.

But on sort of a clean kick at the moment, so I can wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to drink a lot.

Haven’t in almost 11 years.

I used to smoke pot a lot.

The last few times I smoked it it gave anxiety and I felt like an idiot.

If you think your alcohol consumption is (or will become) a problem you should address that separately.

I personally don’t think pot is a good substitute for booze.

Obviously you can do whatever you want but lately I’ve been seeing pot smokers over 40 years old as, well, losers.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Mar 1, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In college I used both booze and weed. After college I gave up weed mostly because of the illegality. So I was basically a drinker for 30 years before moving back to pot once it became legal. I will drink a beer now and then usually while out to eat. I keep my weed use to days where I can just chill which is why I use it. There is a huge difference in the buzz between weed and pot, I think pot is much better for chilling. As for food, well every restaurant in the US serves booze. Have you been able to walk away from a table once you were full? If so, you will have no trouble not eating on pot. Unless of course you like pizza...

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'd be questioning why I have the need for either? You do make it sound like its a need.

Having said that if it was legal here I'd have possibly look at edibles for the joint pain I had prior to my knee partial replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

It’s like we share the same brain.
I don’t drink every day, but 5 out of 7 days I’ll have a beer. Or a glass of bourbon. On Friday or Saturday night I’ll have several. Once a month or 2, I’ll drink too much and the next day sucks.

I smoked pot as a teenager / into my 20s. Not daily. But at a party. It usually made me tired. But I didn’t “love” it. Or “hate” it.

I’m 45 now. I’ve taken a “puff” or had a bit of an edible once or twice a year for the past 10 years.

I haven’t “owned” any weed in at least 15 years.

Lately, as I veg on the couch watching TV and the kids are asleep- I’ve wondered- it would be good to be a little high right now.

I can’t believe it’s legal. I don’t think it should be for recreational purposes. Mostly because I have teenage and younger kids. And I don’t want them to spoke weed all day like some of the high school stoners I grew up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from Alcohol to Pot as your vice of choice...anyone done it? [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
I think I'd be questioning why I have the need for either? You do make it sound like its a need.

Having said that if it was legal here I'd have possibly look at edibles for the joint pain I had prior to my knee partial replacement.

Sorry to have given you the wrong impression.I have never needed either. But I still enjoy them from time to time. These days gummies are my first choice. FYI a few years ago I used a marijuana medicinal salve on my tennis elbow. It worked a thousand times better then IBU.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply