Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Water Heater [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That reminds me. I should flush the water heater. Thanks.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ryans wrote:
Like others have said, answer a couple questions first...

* what hot water use do you have? shower, laundry, dishes can go smaller than if you love to take your weekly bath in a Jacuzzi tub
* how many people? two people can get away with a smaller gallon than a five person family

Me, I get by with 40 gallon because I also have a pre-heater tied into my geo-thermal system. But that is not exactly normal for most homes.

Showers baths dishes toilets washer. Hopefully four people in the future

Whoa... you fill your toilets with hot water? Holy fuck, you are elitist.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you are a fan of asbestos and such, but another vote here for going tankless. Compared to conventional hot water tank, they have vastly less energy use, a tiny physical footprint, and endless hot water even in a super cold climate (chicago).

We have a Navien, works great.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Water Heater [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our house was built in 1965 with an electric 50 gallon water heater and re-circulation lines and pump. The water heater began leaking last fall, likely the second one installed in the home.

I ordered a Rinnai RUR199iN from Amazon as they had the best price and there was no local retailer. The Rinnai we ordered has an internal re-circulation pump. I bought materials to do the replacement with pex piping as it is easy and I have the crimp tools. I started on what I thought would be the hardest part first which was running two 3 inch pvc pipes (air intake and exhaust) from the tank up to the basement ceiling and horizontally 12' and to the outside of the house. I had to drill through two holes through two courses of brick and two rim joists. The core bit I ordered went dull half way through the first hole. The second hole took probably 3 times as long to drill as the first.

Once I had the air intake and exhaust run, I began trying to figure how I was going to demo the old piping, tank and pump and route the new piping. It became apparent to me that I would not be able to get this done in one day, therefore, causing my family to go stay at my dying father-in-laws house which wasn't a good plan. I ended up calling a plumber friend to come check it out. As we got into it, we realized the 1 1/2" supply line for the house had a slow leak at an elbow. This would be a good time to repair that as well as put in a valve so the supply could be shut off at the basement and not have to rely on the meter cut off at the road.

In the end the install cost around $3200, $1,300 of that being materials above the $2,000 cost of the heater. Copper isn't cheap these days. Took 3 guys a day and a half to do the swap. Hate to think what it would have been had I not already mounted the heater and run the intake and exhaust.

I didn't go into this thinking tankless was going to save me money. I wanted to get rid of the tank to save some room and add a workbench.
Quote Reply

Prev Next