Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TimeMachine 80mm/90mm wheels
Quote | Reply
Hello there,
After few years of riding on my 2014 TM01 I'm looking for 80 or 90 mm wheels (Clincher or tubeless) and noting fit
The brake system is so narrow that any of the wheels out there that are 24mm or more just don't fit

Any ideas ?
modifications ?
Wheels that will fit ?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TimeMachine 80mm/90mm wheels [eyalh99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked in the owners manul, there are some washer spacers that can be removed for wider wheels. I have a 2014 TMR01, which has similar breaks and was able to run 25mm wide rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran 28mm wide HED Stingers on my 2016 BMC TM01, I couldn’t use a 25mm tire upfront because of the rake and it would rub on the top inside of the fork under load.
In the owners manual it will tell you how many washes to use for the brakes by wheel, if yours isn’t listed go by what resembles it closest.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TimeMachine 80mm/90mm wheels [Bulldogjcz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi @Bulldogjcz
I did remove all washer spacers the problem is that with the newer wheels in the shops is that 25mm rim with the tire rub the brakes
BMS manual suggest to grind the pads as you need to be in -1.5 space

Did you had to grind your pads to make it fit ?
What type of wheels are you using ?
Last edited by: eyalh99: Feb 28, 19 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a flo disk installed in the back. I think it was 25mm. Never shaved the break pads. Breaks only slow you down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Hed Jet Black 9's F/R on a 2012 TM01. I had to shave the rears pads. also if I want to run GP4K 25 on the rear the drop outs have to be back pretty far. Run a 23 up front.

ETA: It was kind of okay with all spacers removed. there wasn't any brake rub under normal/easy conditions, until I really hammered down, like coming out of a slow turn or up a hill, then I could hear the textured brake track on the black's grind on the pad. Its something that might not get noticed except for the sound of the blacks when you brake.
Last edited by: tfleeger: Feb 28, 19 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put HED Jet 6 Plus (25mm) on my 2014 Time Machine and I shaved down the brake pads because I was too lazy to take off the crank to remove the spacers. It worked fine but I ended up taking it to my local shop to have them replace the pads and adjust the brakes just for peace of mind. No issues, the brakes work great.

ETA: Not sure if it makes a difference but they are NOT Jet Blacks. I also run 25mm GP4K's front and rear.
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Feb 28, 19 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eyalh99 wrote:
Hello there,
After few years of riding on my 2014 TM01 I'm looking for 80 or 90 mm wheels (Clincher or tubeless) and noting fit
The brake system is so narrow that any of the wheels out there that are 24mm or more just don't fit

Any ideas ?
modifications ?
Wheels that will fit ?

Thanks,

I removed the pins on the BB brake and always used pads that were pretty run down and no spacers. Used deep Enve's, Zipps etc. Yes tolerances were tight back there.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 28, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big TM thread on here generally recommends these brake shoes https://r2-bike.com/...r-Carbon-2-Pcs-black to address this issue

Using these brake shoes I'm running an 808 rear with 25mm tyres - the clearance is tight, but no rubbing.

Note: I am on a 2016 TM01, so not sure if the chainstay design is different
Last edited by: Fresh79: Feb 28, 19 14:38
Quote Reply