Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War...
Quote | Reply
And both countries have nuclear weapons and have gone to the edge once before over Kashmir back in the late-1990s. Fortunately, cooler and wiser heads prevailed back then, though it remains to be seen if that same outcome will hold true today. If they go to full-scale war, then millions on both sides could die in a trice, and ain't that a shame?

But the media and a lot of folks here are apparently like a kid in a candy store with the idiotic Michael Cohn/Donald Trump saga playing out in Congress today and jonesing for another sugar rush to sate their TDS so carry on, I guess...

Nuclear Powers India and Pakistan on Brink of All-Out War

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 27, 19 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
China joining in would make it more interesting
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MiG-21 damn fine aircraft 50 years ago.
Shot down or mechainal failure.
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

China would come in to help Pakistan don't you think? India would be forced to go nuclear. The fallout would be a nightmare for China. That would plunge them into an economic recession. Better all parties find a way to co-exist.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very regular incidents involving deaths of soldiers on the Indian-Pakistani border. There is little reason to think this will escalate.
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

China would come in to help Pakistan don't you think? India would be forced to go nuclear. The fallout would be a nightmare for China. That would plunge them into an economic recession. Better all parties find a way to co-exist.

anything that irradiated the siachen glacier (where a disputed line is set up) would poison a massive watershed.

but presumably you'd save the nukes for the populated area; islamabad is worryingly close to the border.

my feeling is cooler heads will prevail again, only because there's so much on the line. rather keep things limited to skirmishes at the border and let it simmer indefinitely.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
There are very regular incidents involving deaths of soldiers on the Indian-Pakistani border. There is little reason to think this will escalate.

This is the first time in decades that each country's aircraft have crossed the LOC to conduct airstrikes on each other's territory; this is far, far different from previous incidents.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

This is the first time in decades that each country's aircraft have crossed the LOC to conduct airstrikes on each other's territory; this is far, far different from previous incidents.

This has been going on since 1980 and escalation is not the primary issue between nuclear powers; rather, an accident is the existential scare. Pakistan has already agreed to release the captured Indian pilot. The underlying tension over Kashmir will not be resolved any time soon. Probably not in our lifetimes.

If this was a serious issue you would have seen the INR weaken more dramatically. See attached chart which shows a slight weakening yesterday (but remaining within the recent range) and then strengthening again today - but very minor moves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
If they go to full-scale war, then millions on both sides could die in a trice, and ain't that a shame?

Serious question:

What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you not give a shit if millions of people died?

You have serious issues.

Get help.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terminal screenshot? Nods in appreciation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

This has been going on since 1980 and escalation is not the primary issue between nuclear powers; rather, an accident is the existential scare. Pakistan has already agreed to release the captured Indian pilot. The underlying tension over Kashmir will not be resolved any time soon. Probably not in our lifetimes.

If this was a serious issue you would have seen the INR weaken more dramatically. See attached chart which shows a slight weakening yesterday (but remaining within the recent range) and then strengthening again today - but very minor moves.

Again, yes, there have been skirmishes going on along the LOC, but airstrikes across the LOC have NOT been a part of those skirmishes. This is very new and not comparable. Now, that isn't to say that I think this will escalate further, especially if the pilot is released soon, but to suggest this is just more of the same is not correct.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Again, yes, there have been skirmishes going on along the LOC, but airstrikes across the LOC have NOT been a part of those skirmishes. This is very new and not comparable. Now, that isn't to say that I think this will escalate further, especially if the pilot is released soon, but to suggest this is just more of the same is not correct.

I get that, and it certainly hit the headlines (to the level that BK became alarmed) more than the usual ongoing skirmishes. I was just looking to put some perspective on it for those who may be unfamiliar.

The debate now is about things like whether to resume full train services, which I guess shows that, yes, it was a slightly bigger incident, but also if that's the kind of debate taking place it doesn't point to anything like all out war.
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
If they go to full-scale war, then millions on both sides could die in a trice, and ain't that a shame?

Serious question:

What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you not give a shit if millions of people died?

You have serious issues.

Get help.

Agreed.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Feb 28, 19 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3. I don't even know what that throw away was supposed to mean but there's no good interpretation.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
spot wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I get that, and it certainly hit the headlines (to the level that BK became alarmed) more than the usual ongoing skirmishes. I was just looking to put some perspective on it for those who may be unfamiliar.

The debate now is about things like whether to resume full train services, which I guess shows that, yes, it was a slightly bigger incident, but also if that's the kind of debate taking place it doesn't point to anything like all out war.

I was alarmed, Mr. Blep's completely mistaken reading of my comment to the contrary.

So far, the balance of terror between the two countries seems to be holding steady and we can hope that rational people on both sides won't end up nuking both countries back into the stone age.

That's the problem with nuclear weapons and defense treaties and such. Those things start flying, and everybody will be dragged into it.

Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Serious question:

You have serious issues.

Get help.

Agreed.

Both of you should get help with reading comprehension and the use of sarcasm to make a point. But I forget; you folks are part of some self-appointed morals police here, or something.

This place didn't used to be so infested with an inordinate amount of scolds, but that unfortunately seems to be the case these days. You guys should work on correcting that problem.

Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
x3. I don't even know what that throw away was supposed to mean but there's no good interpretation.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Serious question:

You have serious issues.

Get help.

Agreed.

Both of you should get help with reading comprehension and the use of sarcasm to make a point. But I forget; you folks are part of some self-appointed morals police here, or something.

This place didn't used to be so infested with an inordinate amount of scolds, but that unfortunately seems to be the case these days. You guys should work on correcting that problem.

Well then man up and explain exactly what you meant with the "and ain't that a shame" add on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ...

Would be a good trick.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

Well then man up and explain exactly what you meant with the "and ain't that a shame" add on.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/...hrodingers%20asshole

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Serious question:

You have serious issues.

Get help.

Agreed.

When you are 100% in the wrong on a comment... claim it was sarcasm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Serious question:

You have serious issues.

Get help.

Agreed.

Nice try BK. If your sarcasm was some kind of point please make that point.

Or maybe just admit that your comment was out of bounds.

Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was clearly sarcasm. Yet one more example of BK using this forum as practice for his blogging aspirations. He's poor man's Ann Coulter.
Quote Reply
Re: So India and Pakistan May Go to Full-Scale War... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm confused. I see all the same people, but didn't read how this is Trump's fault...
Quote Reply