Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Yeah, but alcohol and blueberries tend to have different effects on one's weight. I didn't mean to suggest you were being dishonest, just that its a pretty common phenomenon that when people give up alcohol (even non-intentionally) they tend to lose weight.

you wouldn't believe how many blueberries I can eat in a sitting....

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet Coke has no calories, so that would not add to the calories found in the salad dressing right? I realize diet soda is not a healthy choice, but not because of calories.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dunno wrote:


Counting calories is everything. You could have a diet of pure sugar and loose weight so long as you counted the calories.


I disagree. It's neither a necessary practice to lose weight, it's annoying and cumbersome to do, and plenty of people lose weight without doing it. I don't know why people get so emotionally attached to the notion of "calorie counting."

Not that I said "calorie counting" not that weight loss requires calorie regulation. Calorie counting it just a tool, and not a very effective one.

Counting calories might not be 'necessary' but having nfi about calorie consumption and expenditure would be the number one reason people fail at loosing weight
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Diet Coke has no calories, so that would not add to the calories found in the salad dressing right? I realize diet soda is not a healthy choice, but not because of calories.

That's the point -- there are no calories. They convince themselves they are dieting because the salad is LOW cal, the diet coke is NO cal, but they ignore that how much salad dressing they are using and turn their salad into a fat laden, high calorie mess.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dunno wrote:


Counting calories is everything. You could have a diet of pure sugar and loose weight so long as you counted the calories.


I disagree. It's neither a necessary practice to lose weight, it's annoying and cumbersome to do, and plenty of people lose weight without doing it. I don't know why people get so emotionally attached to the notion of "calorie counting."

Not that I said "calorie counting" not that weight loss requires calorie regulation. Calorie counting it just a tool, and not a very effective one.

It works like a champ for me every - single - time! It's not difficult at all, just use something like MyFitnessPal. And if you aren't lying about your eating and your exercise then it is 100% effective - at least for me. However, I'm not emotionally attached to it; I only know that it works. If you have something that works for you then by all means use it.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
trail wrote:
dunno wrote:


Counting calories is everything. You could have a diet of pure sugar and loose weight so long as you counted the calories.


I disagree. It's neither a necessary practice to lose weight, it's annoying and cumbersome to do, and plenty of people lose weight without doing it. I don't know why people get so emotionally attached to the notion of "calorie counting."

Not that I said "calorie counting" not that weight loss requires calorie regulation. Calorie counting it just a tool, and not a very effective one.

It works like a champ for me every - single - time! It's not difficult at all, just use something like MyFitnessPal. And if you aren't lying about your eating and your exercise then it is 100% effective - at least for me. However, I'm not emotionally attached to it; I only know that it works. If you have something that works for you then by all means use it.

People don't like counting calories because they dontike being slapped in the face with reality. It's much easier to blame their hormones than to admit all the snacks the forgot or the increased portion sizes etc.

At the end of the day you can't make something (fat) out of thin air. It needs to come from calories.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Counting calories might not be 'necessary' but having nfi about calorie consumption and expenditure would be the number one reason people fail at loosing weight

Semantics, but I'd argue a little differently. There's no question that you have to run at a net calorie deficit to lose weight.

But the argument is about what levers of behavior modification are the most effective at achieving that calorie deficit in a sustainable way.

One lever is to spend time every day estimating calorie expenditure and calorie intake and then to make sure that there's an estimated deficit Apparently some people like doing that. But even then I'd argue they're considering food quality and timing as well. Once you regulate calorie intake you're forced to make other decisions. You don't just eat normally and then stop as soon as you reach your daily limit. That'd be dumb to stop eating like at noon. You ration over time. You select foods that are more satisfying rather than drinking a lot of sugar. You don't "just count."

I've found that *just* considering food quality and timing alone is fine for me. I tried "MyFitnessPal" and life is too damned short for logging every damn thing with vague estimates of calories and expenditure. Screw that. The science also suggests that explicit calorie counting isn't that helpful.

But for those it works for, great.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dunno wrote:


Counting calories might not be 'necessary' but having nfi about calorie consumption and expenditure would be the number one reason people fail at loosing weight


Semantics, but I'd argue a little differently. There's no question that you have to run at a net calorie deficit to lose weight.

But the argument is about what levers of behavior modification are the most effective at achieving that calorie deficit in a sustainable way.

One lever is to spend time every day estimating calorie expenditure and calorie intake and then to make sure that there's an estimated deficit Apparently some people like doing that. But even then I'd argue they're considering food quality and timing as well. Once you regulate calorie intake you're forced to make other decisions. You don't just eat normally and then stop as soon as you reach your daily limit. That'd be dumb to stop eating like at noon. You ration over time. You select foods that are more satisfying rather than drinking a lot of sugar. You don't "just count."

I've found that *just* considering food quality and timing alone is fine for me. I tried "MyFitnessPal" and life is too damned short for logging every damn thing with vague estimates of calories and expenditure. Screw that. The science also suggests that explicit calorie counting isn't that helpful.

But for those it works for, great.

I can tell your the type that likes to needlessly argue.

So, how does someone know if they are in calorie deficit unless they count their calories....yeah Im sure guess work is a much more effective 'lever' than spending two seconds on an app...
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
trail wrote:
dunno wrote:


Counting calories might not be 'necessary' but having nfi about calorie consumption and expenditure would be the number one reason people fail at loosing weight


Semantics, but I'd argue a little differently. There's no question that you have to run at a net calorie deficit to lose weight.

But the argument is about what levers of behavior modification are the most effective at achieving that calorie deficit in a sustainable way.

One lever is to spend time every day estimating calorie expenditure and calorie intake and then to make sure that there's an estimated deficit Apparently some people like doing that. But even then I'd argue they're considering food quality and timing as well. Once you regulate calorie intake you're forced to make other decisions. You don't just eat normally and then stop as soon as you reach your daily limit. That'd be dumb to stop eating like at noon. You ration over time. You select foods that are more satisfying rather than drinking a lot of sugar. You don't "just count."

I've found that *just* considering food quality and timing alone is fine for me. I tried "MyFitnessPal" and life is too damned short for logging every damn thing with vague estimates of calories and expenditure. Screw that. The science also suggests that explicit calorie counting isn't that helpful.

But for those it works for, great.

I can tell your the type that likes to needlessly argue.

So, how does someone know if they are in calorie deficit unless they count their calories....yeah Im sure guess work is a much more effective 'lever' than spending two seconds on an app...

It’s pretty easy to know if you are in a calorie deficit if you aren’t counting calories.

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It’s pretty easy to know if you are in a calorie deficit if you aren’t counting calories.

How so? With experience sure, but for most people they have absolutely NO idea how many calories they have eaten in a day, or if they are in deficit.

Reminds me of a fat lady I used to work with-she would skip breakfast and lunch and then eat a packet of chips, two chocolate bars with a can of coke in the afternoon and then go home and eat a bowl of ice cream after dinner.

In her mind she had 'starved' herself all day and only eaten a couple of snacks and one meal. If she had an idea of calories should would have known her 'snacks' were almost 1,000 calories! That's a couple of very nice sized meals.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose the way to know is to step on the scale every day. Gone up, ate too much...gone down, ate just right.

Rugby Media Dude-earfulofdirt.com

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I suppose the way to know is to step on the scale every day. Gone up, ate too much...gone down, ate just right.

The scales or a pretty poor measure. Drink a litre of water and you have put on 1kg...oh no what have I done, go to the toilet loose 1kg yippee diet is working.

But over time yes it will show a correlation
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Over a long enough time period.

The problem with counting calories is that although you might be able to estimate intake fairly accurately, independently estimating your daily burn isn’t very precise. But, if your weight is remaining steady, then you know that calories in must = calories out. If it wasn’t then your weight would change.

The way you do it without actually counting total calories is to look at your eating habits and substitute one of your daily high calorie foods for a lower calorie equivalent. Eg replace that bag of chips with an apple. You’re working off changes, not absolutes.

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 2, 19 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. Weigh yourself consistently, everyday, on wake up. Usually after the bathroom trip. As long as you control a few simple variables you'll get an idea.

Rugby Media Dude-earfulofdirt.com

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not really. Weigh yourself consistently, everyday, on wake up. Usually after the bathroom trip. As long as you control a few simple variables you'll get an idea.

Two many variables-have two glasses of water instead of one there's 250gms, have a hot night and sweat there's another 250gms. Have a meal that is slow digesting-there is another 500gms.

What I'm getting at is weight can fluctuate so much due to a whole myriad of factors that have absolutely zero to do with fat loss.

So weight yourself sure, but do it every week or two. By doing it everyday I've seen people get distraught and give up unnecessarily when their 'weight gain or loss' was nothing more than water or stuff in the bowels
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but once a week and you get a bad picture. Weigh yourself everyday and take the average.

Rugby Media Dude-earfulofdirt.com

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
People don't like counting calories because they dontike being slapped in the face with reality.

I don't like it because it's tedious, annoying, and imprecise to me. And I have single digit bodyfat %, so I have no problem with "reality." The metrics I track are weight and body fat%. Screw calories.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Yeah, but once a week and you get a bad picture. Weigh yourself everyday and take the average.

Ditto. This is what I have done for years tracking the weekly average.
Quote Reply

Prev Next