Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [bcart1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the thread as a whole, I would recommend listening to Meat Eater podcast number 155 “guns.” The director of the NSSF discusses what their vision for future regulations look like. The NSSF represents the gun industry as a whole.

It is an interesting discussion. The industry as a whole isn’t just sitting on their hands.

My thought would be, complete the 4473 once a year and you are clear for any transfer that calendar year.

The but to this is NICS has to be fixed. Until we have a proper method to exclude people from approval or prosecute people trying to purchase illegally it is all for not.

I believe in my home state you are liable for any handgun you sell for 1 or 2 years. If it is used in a crime you can be held liable.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There is a chance it stops a bad dude from buying a gun at a gun show and if it does, lets pass it.

That is not the threshold we use to curtail civil rights.

You’ve heard the saying, “better to let 1,000 criminals go free than to jail one innocent man...”?

It applies here.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
There is a chance it stops a bad dude from buying a gun at a gun show and if it does, lets pass it.

That is not the threshold we use to curtail civil rights.

You’ve heard the saying, “better to let 1,000 criminals go free than to jail one innocent man...”?

It applies here.

Hasn't the ship already sailed that we can curtail the right to bear arms to some extent? We don't allow fully auto, RPG or other items and we already require background checks. My understanding is this just beefs it up a little.

I don't compare passing this to jailing an innocent man. If the burden was that onerous, then yes, I would have a problem with it. This seems like good common sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Precisely why this is problematic. The ship needs to turned around.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:

I believe in my home state you are liable for any handgun you sell for 1 or 2 years. If it is used in a crime you can be held liable.

what state? that sounds pretty ridiculous. Is every gun dealer held to the same standard?

as for the whole background check bill issue, while I dont think it would do a thing to reduce gun violence, I wouldn't be opposed to it passing to to stop hearing about the "gun show loophole".
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minnesota, I don't know that anyone has been prosecuted for it. If you demonstrate that you have the person's name, birth date and drivers license number you're pretty well cleared.

You just need to demonstrate that you aren't slinging guns for cheap to just anybody.

I would like to invite anyone that thinks it is so easy to buy a hand gun at a gun show, to go try it some time. Most people that own enough guns to make it worth going to a gun show to sell them have an FFL license, which means they have to complete form 4473. I am sure there are a few around that aren't but I have watched friends complete a crappy paper version of 4473 to buy a pos WWII era gun at a gun show in BFE South Dakota... Where everyone and their cousin owns more than a few firearms.

I know this one gets trotted out more than enough, but the system works when it is used properly.

https://www.dailywire.com/...ssault-ryan-saavedra

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of key elements that folks need to understand regarding purchases of fire arms at gun shows.

The majority of sellers at gun shows are businesses which are required to have a FFL and comply with all requirements for transfer of fire arms. There may be individual collectors selling arms as well but they have to purchase a space or table in order to participate in the show. This limits individuals to an extend in selling arms. In other words a vast majority of gun show purchases are the exact same as purchasing at a sporting goods store.

The so called loop hole that people refer to is the private transfer of firearms. Meaning I sell an individual weapon to another individual but it's not my business. Typical scenario is if I sell to a buddy or give to my son. I can do this at a show or in my home, location makes no difference. I have seen people walking around shows with a sign on their person selling individual arms but it's not the norm.

Waiting periods for arms purchases vary by state. Idaho my home state does not require a waiting period meaning I can go to a store, purchase the fire arm, submit to the background check, and walk out of the store with my purchase that day or as long as the check takes place. The store usually gives you the fire arm as you walk out the door when the transaction is complete. Other states vary.

Just some background on the so called loop hole at gun shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Right.. but if it does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, why do we need this law in the 1st place? I don't think anything sort of a complete repeal of the 2A and mass gun confiscation would make a dent. Even then it would take time for the supply to dry up.

If it does nothing to stop underground abortions why do we need to try to repeal Roe v Wade in the 1st place?

I don't think anything short of complete repeal of Roe v Wade and mass pregnancy tracking and home ankle monitoring would make a dent. Even then it would take time to find all the underground abortion clinics and morning after pill importers.

See how that works?

IMHO, it's not just background checks......I think guns need to be registered, taxed, and inspected like automobiles are. Yearly.

Personal sales would have to go through the "DMV" of guns just like a car with a title transfer.

Worried illegal arms coming in over border to criminals? Don't build the wall, shore up the actual legal entry points the smugglers actually use to smuggle arms inside of cars/vegetable shipments/ etc.....

I strongly think legal folks should be able to have their gun if they like, but I also strongly think that it should be as traceable as an automobile is.

Also........why all the hate for "smart guns"? If James Bond can get a reliable unit some 15 odd years ago, I would think the tech reliable and cheap enough by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/house-background-check-pass_n_5c76d86fe4b08c4f5556b27b

The house passed gun reform requiring everyone to do background checks on those buying guns, not just FFL's. Meaning, if you get a gun at a gun show you will have to have a background check. The article claims this will not prevent a person from loaning a gun to his family member to hunt or target shoot without a background check.

Assuming the article is right on the loaning issue, is there any logical opposition to this? don't we want background checks on everyone that buys a gun?

On this we can agree yes??

Only caveat is the Dems claim this is only the start on gun reform but lets worry about the slippery slope later. This seems like sensible legislation.

My concern isn't with the background checks, its with what they do with them in terms of retaining the records of the background checks. It isn't too hard to see this as a back door way to gun registration, which is the first step in confiscation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
You will be shocked when this doesn’t pass the senate.

Well then I would stand beside you ardent Dems and support your position the Rep are completely unreasonable as to this issue.

Don't see any reason this shouldn't sail through.

While I am not sure this does a whole lot to quell illegal gun activity there is no downside and if it stops a "bad dude" from getting his hands on a gun at a gun show it was worth it.

Gun shows already process background checks, its the personal sales in the parking lot that this bill covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Big Endian wrote:
orphious wrote:

Right.. but if it does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, why do we need this law in the 1st place? I don't think anything sort of a complete repeal of the 2A and mass gun confiscation would make a dent. Even then it would take time for the supply to dry up.

What might help is a comprehensive law that makes gun owners responsible for their guns and ammo at all times (much like it is in Canada and most other places that are not the USA), with legal repercussions for leaving your gun out, anywhere, anytime, irrespective of whether it's used in a crime. It could reduce the incidence of gun thefts, and of 'accidental' gun injuries and deaths. Part of that would be the requirement for background checks anytime anyone tries to acquire a gun.

Such a law would not at all impede your right to carry a gun or to use it in whatever way you use it today, as permitted by your local ordinances and whatever permits you have. It's just that when you're away from your gun it would have to be locked away and possibly unloaded. Not stashed in a desk drawer, hallway cupboard, or under your pillow.

I can agree to this too. It's something I already do as a responsible gun owner. I would also like to see mandatory safety classes for anyone who wishes to purchase a gun.

Why not make gun ownership licenced? Each state can have it's own gun agency where you have to pass a written and practical test. Run it like a dmv. Have to register your guns and be licenced to use one. If it's good enough for cars surely it's good enough for guns..

Every gun confiscation scheme started with gun registrations. Also, car ownership is not a Constitutional right, gun ownership is a Constitutional right. Safety classes, testing are all great until they become a gun registration system. Once a government (local, state or Federal) decides it wants those guns, it already has a database with a big chunk of those pesky gun owners.

And really, how many criminals, gun wackos, terrorists, or strange Las Vegas shooters will any, repeat ANY of those stop? We already ban the importation, use, sale of many things from drugs to elephant ivory, but all of those can be found in the US, some so prevalent that 12 year old students can get them. If you think a law will make you safer, okay, but those same laws can enslave you if the Government ever gets the urge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Well then I would stand beside you ardent Dems and support your position the Rep are completely unreasonable as to this issue.

While I am not sure this does a whole lot to quell illegal gun activity there is no downside and if it stops a "bad dude" from getting his hands on a gun at a gun show it was worth it.

I am for it. However, it will not keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

I am not sure there is much legislation wise that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals but this is an effort and its something.

When these mass shootings come up my main question is always what type of law would have prevented it and normally its crickets. One of the tougher issues and it doesn't really fall on party lines completely. I know a lot of NRA supporting Dems.

All guns serialized and each one has to have an owner (or gun shop) attached to that number.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been proposing universal background checks for years. It is common sense gun control, so long as it is doesn't get loaded down with amendments and add-ons.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

I am not sure there is much legislation wise that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals but this is an effort and its something.

When these mass shootings come up my main question is always what type of law would have prevented it and normally its crickets. One of the tougher issues and it doesn't really fall on party lines completely. I know a lot of NRA supporting Dems.

All guns serialized and each one has to have an owner (or gun shop) attached to that number.

Who has that list? Exactly ...

What you want is gun registration. That's a non-starter.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Same people who maintain the background list. I agree, it's a non-starter.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we all Agree on this (Gun Legislation) [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
orphious wrote:
ACE wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Same people who maintain the background list. I agree, it's a non-starter.

Background checks are not gun registrations.

Quote Reply

Prev Next