Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All aboard the bulls#!t train!!!
Quote | Reply
No this isn’t about the Orange man.

Anyone who follows baseball probably knows who Vladdy Jr is by now. He torn the minor leagues a new one last year in AA and AAA. As is the new norm, the Jays dont want to burn a year of his service by having him start the season in the bigs.

Anyway, I was looking forward to the utter bullshit that they would spew to justify keeping him in the minors.

and here’s Jays GM Ross Atkins saying that he simply isn’t a major league player at this point.

Right... but on April 15th he’ll magically have figured it out.

https://www.google.ca/...don-t-033022357.html

If he actually thinks that Vladdy isn’t ready then he should be removed from his roll because he can’t judge talent.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Anyone who follows baseball probably knows who Vladdy Jr is by now. He torn the minor leagues a new one last year in AA and AAA. As is the new norm, the Jays dont want to burn a year of his service by having him start the season in the bigs.

Anyway, I was looking forward to the utter bullshit that they would spew to justify keeping him in the minors.

and here’s Jays GM Ross Atkins saying that he simply isn’t a major league player at this point.

If he actually thinks that Vladdy isn’t ready then he should be removed from his roll because he can’t judge talent.

I know you spell things differently but didn't you mean role?

There are rules. They are leveraging them to their advantage. I see no problem
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

No. Roll = list of members
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

No. Roll = list of members

Uh huh. Read the sentence again
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yes, role. Typo on iPhone.

And I am aware of the rules, it's the bullshit that they have to spew to use that rule because they can't explicitly say "we're keeping him back to take advantage of the rules in place".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Blue Jays fan you should prefer this tactic. If you are Little Vladdy, his agent, or anyone sharing his money it should bother you.

No way will he come right out and say it, but for the team it is the right thing to do.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yes, role. Typo on iPhone.

And I am aware of the rules, it's the bullshit that they have to spew to use that rule because they can't explicitly say "we're keeping him back to take advantage of the rules in place".

You're taking this too personal. It is strictly business. In the last year of his rookie contract your boys might just win the Series because they opted to delay arrival by a couple three weeks this spring. BS abounds everywhere. Much ado about BS is just BS.
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
As a Blue Jays fan you should prefer this tactic. If you are Little Vladdy, his agent, or anyone sharing his money it should bother you.

No way will he come right out and say it, but for the team it is the right thing to do.

You and Windy aren't reading what I am writing.

I am fine with what they are doing. It's the hoops that they jump through that make me laugh.

Vladdy isn't a big leaguer? Yeah. he's not ready. But hey, on April 15th after two solid weeks of AAA he'll be perfectly suited for the majors and we'll never discuss his "poor defense" again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesnt this exact same thing happen every year with different players?

To me, the MLB players union is the strongest union in professional sports. If the union had a problem with this, they could negotiate the dates for arbitration differently.

Obviously the fans just want the best team out there. But what are you going to do, root for a different team that does the exact same thing? the players care, and this can be brought up later in arbitration, and the players can later leave if it damages their rep with the team. Its a business decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I am fine with what they are doing. It's the hoops that they jump through that make me laugh.

Vladdy isn't a big leaguer? Yeah. he's not ready. But hey, on April 15th after two solid weeks of AAA he'll be perfectly suited for the majors and we'll never discuss his "poor defense" again.

Is there some repercussion if they admit they are simply holding him back for contractual reasons? Maybe there is.

The astros did the same thing with Bregman and Correa. They were not as absurd as the Jay's GM, but they did do a lot of "with this talent level we need to make sure he is ready..."

It kind of worked out for them ; )
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Is there some repercussion if they admit they are simply holding him back for contractual reasons? Maybe there is.

The astros did the same thing with Bregman and Correa. They were not as absurd as the Jay's GM, but they did do a lot of "with this talent level we need to make sure he is ready..."

From what I have read, if they explicitly say that's why they are holding him back the players association will file a grievance and likely win. So they make up BS about the players defense and other hard to quantify things.

Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, the MLB players union is the strongest union in professional sports. If the union had a problem with this, they could negotiate the dates for arbitration differently.
---

The Cubs did this with Kris Bryant during his freshman year. They sent Kris back to the minors to fine tune some rough spots. They had a pretty good 3b in Mike Olt at the time so it was kinda plausible. Then Olt injured himself conveniently on APril 17th. They called Kris Bryant up and boom.

The player's union filed a grievance on Bryant's behalf against the Cubs for purposely delaying his entrance into the bigs. Kris remained supportive of both sides and basically said that he's neither for nor against the decision but rules are rules, so let the arbitration people figure it out. IIRC- the Cubs won that round.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
BLeP wrote:

From what I have read, if they explicitly say that's why they are holding him back the players association will file a grievance and likely win. So they make up BS about the players defense and other hard to quantify things.

That is my recollection but I'm not sure. I think it is against the CBA to keep someone down strictly for service time purposes.

Maybe he needs to work on pitch selection like his dad, that guy would swing at anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
That is my recollection but I'm not sure. I think it is against the CBA to keep someone down strictly for service time purposes.

Maybe he needs to work on pitch selection like his dad, that guy would swing at anything.

He would, but he would also hit those shitty pitches. Vladdy Sr. didn't strike out that much. Never more than 95 times in one season.

And from all accounts Vladdy Jr is pretty selective. Basically there is nothing in VGJs hitting in which the Jays can say he isn't ready. They are pointing at less quantifiable stuff like baserunning and defense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a closer look at those comments:
Everyone then points to defense, but it’s really not just about defense, it’s about him having a 15, 20-year career, starting with an incredible foundation. That’s everything that encompasses ‘teammate’ — the physical aspect, the baserunning, the defense. That physical aspect really plays into what type of offensive player he’s going to be. He has the ability to be so versatile and dynamic and we want to make sure we tap into all that potential.

Translation: YOU FAT!

Seriously though, he's 1000% ready offensively--as an aside his projections are ridiculous, if he hits even the mean projections (which tend to be conservative already) he's an All Star out of the gates), obviously this is about his service time, but I don't totally disagree with them saying 'work harder on conditioning and defense, MLB is a long grind, if you want to play 162 you better be ready for it'. He's not in great shape, he wouldn't be the first to be a phenomenal MLB hitter but why not push him more while he's still in the minors to work on conditioning, baserunning and defense? There is NO REASON he couldn't be a Scott Rolen or Adrien Beltre at 3B in his first decade in the league, but he looks more like Rafael Devers and a future first baseman. He's a TREMENDOUS athlete, how does he have just 11 SB's in his two full mL seasons (where SB's are easier to come by anyway)?

The bat will play anywhere, he could be a no-show in the field, DH his whole career and still be generational...but why not push for more if you're the organization? He has a chance to be this generations Barry Bonds (minus the giant head), he needs to get his conditioning down though.
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His offense by far outweighs any negatives he has in other parts of his game. And I've seen him play 3B. He isn't terrible. He might not have the best range but he plays the balls hit to him.

SB? Don't care. Hardly anyone steals any more.

He's fat. Yup. I don't see how keeping him in the minors changes that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This kind of worked itself out. Hope he heals quick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah fatty fat fat fat is starting to get injured already.

Yay.

BTW, the Jays recently (and quietly (but it obviously didn't go unnoticed)) changed his weight from 200 lbs (laughable) to 250 lbs.

Given that 250 is a nice round (ha!) number, I'll put him at closer to 265.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

This^^^

If This is the blue jays year and holding him back is detrimental to the their shot at the playoffs I would have an issue with it. Otherwise, you get him for an extra year when the team is more likely to be competitive.

We played these games ad nauseum when the royals were putting together what would eventually be their 2014-15 WS clubs. The mealy mouth bullshit is aggravating, but what do you really, and realistically, expect them to say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Jays need to get him in the lineup on Day 1 and keep him there.
Quote Reply
Re: All aboard the bulls#!t train!!! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That isn’t going to happen.

Quote Reply