Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Funny or Divisive? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not funny. Telling a joke that you know your audience can't understand is not funny. This alone suggests the speaker has an ulterior purpose.

At any rate, humor is dead. The liberals, including those in Hollywood, killed it.

That this excerpt now passes for humor is pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
Funny.

Chri55 wrote:
Vote weak sauce. Most black people don't know what he's saying either.

So what? About 350 million Africans would. Certainly the brave citizens of Wakanda would (I assume you are familiar with the Marvel Atlas).

And now even lots of white people do. Some of us enjoy the joke. The rest are very welcome to be cranky.

False. There are roughly 20m Xhosa speakers in South Africa. Just because they are African and black doesn't mean they all speak the same language.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At any rate, humor is dead. The liberals, including those in Hollywood, killed it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
Not funny. Telling a joke that you know your audience can't understand is not funny. This alone suggests the speaker has an ulterior purpose.

Wow. People complain here about folks with TDS or whatever... but now liberals have killed an entire part of human existence and communication. Just... wow.

So, enlighten us, what *was* funny before the liberals killed funny? And when, exactly, did this death occur?

MAFA!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank wrote:
jw13 wrote:

Wow. People complain here about folks with TDS or whatever... but now liberals have killed an entire part of human existence and communication. Just... wow.

So, enlighten us, what *was* funny before the liberals killed funny? And when, exactly, did this death occur?

MAFA!!

I'm guessing the whole PC moment...as taking away the fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
If he was white and said in Afrikaans black people don't know what I'm saying what would the reaction be? That tells you if it is racist or not.

That's not true. A better analogy would be a female comic mocking an angry, powerful man by suggesting he smile more. It's funny (or could be) because we know and understand the history of sexism and the weight of that phrase when applied in one direction. The joke lands when we recognize the direction has been flipped.

For centuries Africans were caricatured as intellectually inferior, incapable of understanding language. For a black man to joke that white people can't understand them is funny (or could be) for the same reason.

Intransiently insisting that every "is it ***ist?" question can be answered by pretending that the history of ***ism doesn't exist, and that context is irrelevant, is wrong-headed and self-serving.

You wrote three paragraphs without making a coherent point. Impressive if I may say.
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should clarify. Humor is dead in the United States. If you think I'm wrong, I can't help you.

Seinfeld is funny. There's an example. No way that show gets created today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
I should clarify. Humor is dead in the United States. If you think I'm wrong, I can't help you.

Seinfeld is funny. There's an example. No way that show gets created today.

I don't entirely disagree. It was just the knee jerk blaming of liberals for the death of humor. I love Seinfeld, I'm guessing a lot of liberals do too. Can you imagine if All in the Family came out today?? We always have Family Guy. Gigity!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Humor is dead in the United States. If you think I'm wrong, I can't help you.

Humor is a very basic trait of being human, and nothing has destroyed it at all, except in isolated individual cases. If you are unable to find humor in life, I can't help you ;).
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
If he was white and said in Afrikaans black people don't know what I'm saying what would the reaction be? That tells you if it is racist or not.

That's not true. A better analogy would be a female comic mocking an angry, powerful man by suggesting he smile more. It's funny (or could be) because we know and understand the history of sexism and the weight of that phrase when applied in one direction. The joke lands when we recognize the direction has been flipped.

For centuries Africans were caricatured as intellectually inferior, incapable of understanding language. For a black man to joke that white people can't understand them is funny (or could be) for the same reason.

Intransiently insisting that every "is it ***ist?" question can be answered by pretending that the history of ***ism doesn't exist, and that context is irrelevant, is wrong-headed and self-serving.

You wrote three paragraphs without making a coherent point. Impressive if I may say.

I'm sorry it went over your head. TL;DR version - it's very, very hard to be anythingist when speaking to power. Situational or systemic. It's very, very easy to imagine something that if said by a white Afrikaans man to a black audience would be racist but if said by a black man to a white Afrikaans audience would not be. If you doubt the different treatment is justifiable, ask yourself how many opportunities there are in society today for white comics to stand in front of an audience of hundreds of black millionaires and tell jokes of any sort.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, humor is a tonic to life's BS. I find lots of stuff funny, all the time. Sometimes even here, in the LR!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
If you doubt the different treatment is justifiable, ask yourself how many opportunities there are in society today for white comics to stand in front of an audience of hundreds of black millionaires and tell jokes of any sort.

You don’t think whites people can be comics or you don’t think there can be hundreds of black millionaires? I’m really not sure which is your point (although I think I do), or why you’re making it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For sure, humor is a tonic to life's BS. I find lots of stuff funny, all the time. Sometimes even here, in the LR!

Then, to quote another satirist/comedian, "Reports of (humor's) death are greatly exaggerated."
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm taking issue with the statement on the first page that to work out whether anything is ***ist you can just flip the roles around and if the answer seems clearer that way around then that is in fact your answer. The idea that context, history and power don't matter one bit and the answer is purely textual.

I think Chris Rock is hilarious. He can use almost any epithet for white people in his act and it doesn't spoil my enjoyment at all.

I also think John Mulaney is hilarious. If he repeatedly used the "n" word in his act his career would be over and deservedly so.

That doesn't cause me any cognitive dissonance at all.

I know your confusion was specious but, obviously, white people can be comics and, equally obviously, there are hundreds of black millionaires. It's a side-track but I stand by my observation that I can't think of one actual context in the US where a white comic gets to stand up in front of a crowd of millionaires that is 84% PoC (assuming the crowd tracks the academy itself).

Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
Funny.

Chri55 wrote:
Vote weak sauce. Most black people don't know what he's saying either.

So what? About 350 million Africans would. Certainly the brave citizens of Wakanda would (I assume you are familiar with the Marvel Atlas).

And now even lots of white people do. Some of us enjoy the joke. The rest are very welcome to be cranky.

False. There are roughly 20m Xhosa speakers in South Africa. Just because they are African and black doesn't mean they all speak the same language.

Not false.
About 20m speak Xhosa as their first language. Many more as a second or third.
More importantly, Xhosa is just part of a continuum of Zunda languages with are mutually intelligible. If you speak Zulu, for example, you also speak Xhosa, with some dialectical differences.
Nguni languages are, in turn, part of the much larger group of Bantu languages spoken throughout most of Africa, with common grammar, structure and vocabulary.
There are about 400m speakers of Bantu languages. 350m is a reasonable estimate of how many could understand a simple sentence in Xhosa. The black population of Africa is 1.2 billion. I didn't say they all speak the same language.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
The idea that context, history and power don't matter one bit and the answer is purely textual.

As long as that works both ways I guess I'm fine with that. We should all be less easily offended. I don't think that's what you're going for though. You seem to want it to be that someone from a race that was historically less powerful has a different context through which they view things today. That, by it's very definition isn't equal. I don't really give a shit how my great grandfather treated someone else's great grandfather. I care very much how I treat you and you treat me. And nothing about the past has anything to do with that. And to the extent that you think it does could end up being a tad racist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm sorry it went over your head. TL;DR version - it's very, very hard to be anythingist when speaking to power. Situational or systemic. It's very, very easy to imagine something that if said by a white Afrikaans man to a black audience would be racist but if said by a black man to a white Afrikaans audience would not be. If you doubt the different treatment is justifiable, ask yourself how many opportunities there are in society today for white comics to stand in front of an audience of hundreds of black millionaires and tell jokes of any sort.

Your TLDR version is almost as long as the original. You have again not made any real or innovative point with your drivel. it's very, very hard to be anythingist when speaking to power. That truly impressed me with it's nonsenicality. Pseudo-intellectual at best and a weak effort.

So the fact that a black person said it to a rich white audience does not make it racist? But a white guy doing the opposite is racist? That's your position?

Do you worry that a black man performing for a lot of whites is racist as it harkens to the minstrel age of yore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:

I think Chris Rock is hilarious..

The only thing you've said that makes any sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/...ah-oscars/index.html

"Growing up as a young boy in Wakanda, I would see T'Challa flying over our village, and he would remind me of a great Xhosa phrase," Noah said. "He says 'abelungu abazi uba ndiyaxoka' -- which means, 'In times like these, we are stronger when we fight together than when we try to fight apart.'"

But those who speak Xhosa got a good chuckle, because what Noah actually said is: "White people don't know I'm lying."

Seeing as you are the OP I’m going with incredibly divisive
Quote Reply
Re: Funny or Divisive? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
DJRed wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/...ah-oscars/index.html

"Growing up as a young boy in Wakanda, I would see T'Challa flying over our village, and he would remind me of a great Xhosa phrase," Noah said. "He says 'abelungu abazi uba ndiyaxoka' -- which means, 'In times like these, we are stronger when we fight together than when we try to fight apart.'"

But those who speak Xhosa got a good chuckle, because what Noah actually said is: "White people don't know I'm lying."

Seeing as you are the OP I’m going with incredibly divisive

You should read Post 23.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the fact that a black person said it to a rich white audience does not make it racist? But a white guy doing the opposite is racist? That's your position?

Yes. But, again, "a white guy doing the [exact] opposite" is a situation that really doesn't exist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:

Yes. But, again, "a white guy doing the [exact] opposite" is a situation that really doesn't exist.

Your position is imbecilic. Next time try to be original when you use rambling pseudo intellectual prose and buzzwords.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've replied to me 3 or 4 times, insulted me repeatedly and never once actually engaged with my position. I'm sorry if my writing style annoys you, I don't claim to be a great writer, but...do you need a hug?

Quote Reply

Prev Next