Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How fatigued are you? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
I'm currently recovering from a Trainerroad build that left me quite fatigued.

The # of athletes I've consulted with over the last 2 years that have this exact complaint is staggering. >70% who used the TR plans

cmart wrote:
I find it hard following a training plan... because if I get fatigued before the planned rest week I'm very much inclined to push through only to recognize that this was a bad idea

If you need to plan a rest week into your training you are structuring things wrong.

I skimmed the first & last 3-4 posts of this thread, maybe that has been addressed, didn't see it though. Food for thought anyway

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How fatigued are you? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t recall whom said\ wrote it first but it goes “ you have to train to train”. Lots of folks start with a TR program without having the base to do 4-5 bike sessions a week, plus trying to fit in the run and swim workouts too can build a disaster down the line. What worked for me has been testing ftp inside my training. If I just biked, rested and threw down a ftp test the numbers would rise but how that fit in a week of running 35-50 miles would not be pretty.

I’ve also really schooled myself on Training Peaks and used their metrics to track fitness and fatigue. I’ve built into many weeks of 20+ hours and the delicate dance of pushing and resting really gets interesting. I’m usually into the hole -40 TSB at the end of the week, then use Mondays easy swim/ bike to dig out and begin to build through the week. I’ve been at the -50, -60 and at that point it’s just good nights sleep and a day off.

My silver bullets recovery wise have been sleep, Amp lotion and watermelon.
Quote Reply
Re: How fatigued are you? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat My silver bullets recovery wise have been sleep.....[/quote wrote:

The #1 under utilized training & recovery is sleep.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How fatigued are you? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
cmart wrote:
I'm currently recovering from a Trainerroad build that left me quite fatigued.

The # of athletes I've consulted with over the last 2 years that have this exact complaint is staggering. >70% who used the TR plans

Working with a coach now and that's pretty much what he said. Really wish I would have known/seen that before. TR combined with life stress (esp work) led to overtraining which was not nice at all. It actually triggered some anxiety disorder which I'm still fighting to get rid off to this day.
Quote Reply
Re: How fatigued are you? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found mixing two midweek interval sets from a TrainerRoad mid-volume plan within some additional aerobic riding + long ride to be about my limit. Trying to hit the two midweek interval sets and the harder third ride is a very quick path to being over cooked.
Quote Reply
Re: How fatigued are you? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're using the Lionel Sanders Training Plan going into Augusta 70.3. Multiple 400-500 mile weeks on the bike leading into the race won't leave you cooked at all...despite how it feels. Wait until it just hits you from nowhere and you're fucked. I know from experience.

I see way too many people overtraining and burying themselves leading into a race. The plan should be to come in sharp and fresh.

plant_based wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
I have IM 70.3 North Carolina on October 19th. At this point, I think a lot of us are fried from a long year of training and racing.

I have Augusta 70.3 coming up on 9/29, but am carefully tiptoeing toward fatigue this week and next week. I actually plan to go relatively hard until 9/22. My Strava is saying to tone it down this week already (or be careful and have adequate rest/recovery), but my Garmin said that I was 'productive' when I finished my Friday night session, leaving me at 313.9mi at 15h6m of cycling so far.

I didn't even know if I wanted to ride last night as I was at 280mi and didn't know if I should rest, but my girlfriend wanted to go ride and so I went out and decided to just to try to blow up my quads. I already had a 50mi ride earlier so didn't want to be sluggish, but rather try to make my quads really scream. Surprisingly enough, I started riding very snappy and fast and my quads held up for a good session.

Hitting 400mi this week would be good. Maybe more next week if possible. But, at the same time I want to be productive and don't want to tear up my muscles completely so will have to just see if I can avoid fatigue, but the weather is so nice next week - it would be a great 500mi week.

Cycling doesn't tire me out a ton though - the running gets me super fatigued. I did 10mi/day for 7 days in December and I was beat. On concrete. I hardly run train that much as I feel I'm just being so much more productive on the bike. I've only had 117mi of outdoor running this year, which includes a 70.3 and 140.6. I have a few miles on the treadmill as well. I'm nervous about hitting knee issues as well and have been injury free for a while now.

I've had the fatigue where you can't move and you feel like you might tear something and its terrible. I avoid that like the plague. I feel hydration is a big part of this equation and just chug La Croix non stop off of the bike. Dehydration is the first step to feeling sluggish and locking up.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Sep 15, 19 15:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next