Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The joys of Colonoscopy [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
Francois wrote:

and PSA: get screened! Colonoscopy, FIT, cologuard, even flexible sigmoidoscopy if your PCP still does this (fairly rare now). Screening saves lives! (my funding from NCI is precisely on CRC prevention).

I turned 50 this year, but my doc only authorized the FIT test. I was relieved at first, but now I'm wondering if I should push for the colonoscopy.

If you're low to medium risk (see my other post on that) then FIT is fine. If it comes back positive, you'll get a colonoscopy. If not, a repeated FIT annually (or 3 years for the new ones) is just as good.
Actually in Canada, colonoscopy was removed from the screening guidelines for low/med risk folks in favor of blood tests. They still also occasionally recommend flexible sigmoidoscopy because physicians there
are still trained to do these in a primary care setting. It's become very rare in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: The joys of Colonoscopy [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me thinks a lot of folks are over reacting to the procedure. I am on the 5 year plan so I have had 4 of them. Drinking the gallon of Golytly is a joke. Nothing about going and light are involved. It should be called crap water till you bust. My last formula was drink half the night before and the rest at chicken thirty in the am instead of all at once. I thought that was way easier than the all at once plan.

They sort of drug you into twilight and I barely remember much after going into the room and moving up to my side. I think the dentist is a lot worse of a procedure if you have ever had a crown placed. There you are wide awake.

Having worked in a hospital and have set up and watched rectal ultrasounds to stage cancer, my advice is to take the colonoscopy anytime it is offered. It is a really sad day to hear the MD tell someone that they will be crapping in a bag for the rest of their life. Colon cancer is no joke. Early diagnosis is your friend, so suck it up and get in line.
Quote Reply
Re: The joys of Colonoscopy [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember getting rolled onto my side, that's when the anathesiologisted inject the night-night juice. The Gastroenterologist asked me what kind of music I like, I told him 80's, the last thing I remember is him saying, "alexa play 80's." 30 minutes later I was awake and ready for breakfast at Chik Fila A, it's next door to the hospital and I wasn't waiting.

The prep sucks, but the procedure is quick. I"m very glad to have done it, even with the finding and removal of polyps.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: The joys of Colonoscopy [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:
Francois wrote:

and PSA: get screened! Colonoscopy, FIT, cologuard, even flexible sigmoidoscopy if your PCP still does this (fairly rare now). Screening saves lives! (my funding from NCI is precisely on CRC prevention).

I turned 50 this year, but my doc only authorized the FIT test. I was relieved at first, but now I'm wondering if I should push for the colonoscopy.

If you're low to medium risk (see my other post on that) then FIT is fine. If it comes back positive, you'll get a colonoscopy. If not, a repeated FIT annually (or 3 years for the new ones) is just as good.
Actually in Canada, colonoscopy was removed from the screening guidelines for low/med risk folks in favor of blood tests. They still also occasionally recommend flexible sigmoidoscopy because physicians there
are still trained to do these in a primary care setting. It's become very rare in the US.

I got into the doctor today on what must have been a cancelation. ask about the other tests but when I realized i'd be sending in a poop sample every year instead of the colonoscopy lasting 10 years if it is clear I opted for the colonoscopy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next