Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New trainer
Quote | Reply
So I’m looking to upgrade from my Tacx Vortex to a direct drive model.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 - all with different prices. I should be able to get $250 for the Vortex - I’m in NZ so bear that in mind.

I do almost all of my indoor training with Sufferfest these days.

Choices

Neo @ $1850

Kickr Core @ $1400

Tacx Flux @ $1050

Thoughts?

Get at me....
Last edited by: BayDad: Feb 24, 19 0:36
Quote Reply
Re: New trainer [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a Core. It was just ok.

Got a Neo 2. It’s awesome.

Others will have different opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can ride the Neo before you buy?

I went from wheel on, to direct drive / Neo. Used it for 7k miles / year the last 2 years

I can’t comment on the others, but my Neo is enjoyable to ride, quiet (although louder than it was when I got it), and accurate

If I were to buy again, Even if trying to save $$, wouldn’t consider buying anything else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing out there touches the Neo. Works every time with no fuss and has both precision and accuracy. I have that and an Elite Direto here. The Elite is nice as well, but nothing else out there touches the Neo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my standard KICKR (not on your list). But, everything I have read always points to the Neo/Neo 2 as the best. If one of those is in budget, that is my recommendation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can give a downvote to the Core. I'm on my 4th one, and it is most likely on the way back. Wahoo was good the first two times, the third time got a little rough, and now the 4th has been less than enjoyable. Would do anything for a refund, but that looks improbable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
So I’m looking to upgrade from my Tacx Vortex to a direct drive model.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 - all with different prices. I should be able to get $250 for the Vortex - I’m in NZ so bear that in mind.

I do almost all of my indoor training with Sufferfest these days.

Choices

Neo @ $1850

Kickr Core @ $1400

Tacx Flux @ $1050

Thoughts?

Get at me....

Have you considered stack?

Really happy with ours so far.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Neo and I would buyit again!
Set up is easy and it is quiter than the bike drivetrain noise!
Love it in combo with Trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy with our NEO II (after some teething problems with creaking noises - slightly warped plastic casing & loose casing screws) The new Wahoo CORE purchased for a friend apparently had an electrical/chip(?) fault that causes a large number of failures - (pleasant Wahoo rep apologised for delayed response mentioning that he was "dealing with several hundred of these") Many replacements had the same problem over again. Upgraded to Kicker for replacement -fist unit immediately died of electrostatic shock disease (see D C Rainmaker interview with Wahoo CEO). Second Kickr with upgraded power block seems to be working so far.
PS: NEO II is available from Clever Training for $1400 minus DCR's 10% coupon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be fine with all of them. Neo and new Kickr are truly silent - if that's something that you value.
Quote Reply
Re: New trainer [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I’ve been reading about the Core’s issues.

Being here in NZ anything of that size and weight being imported attracts large import duties. The $1800 price I quoted is in NZD and locally available - Neo 1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have his 'n hers Neos in our Tauranga bike training room. One from T7, the other from Evo - both in sales a while back for about $1700. Evo especially is likely to have a 20% off everything sale soon, whereas T7 seems to have better sales, but more specific, so it depends on how long you want to wait. Both been fine with almost no regrets. Only slight reason to go for the Neo 2 would be to get all the axles with it and not need to buy if you've got a disc brake based bike (or will have).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The brand I would trust most is the Wahoo. I've been riding Cycleops this year (Hammer) and like it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also do all my indoor training on Sufferfest and use the Kickr. Works great - that is; it communicates well with SF and is quiet.
Quote Reply