Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another "I went to the Tunnel" Thread..... [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
After looking again, I think I nailed the points. Here is the video if you want to give it a shot. FWIW, I am measuring a closed hip angle of 40Âş That's seemingly a little tight, but what's one to do? Conclusion for me is although the upper arm angle looks very severe, it doesn't really measure that way....i'm definitely going to have go to a longer bike. ;)

as i look at that video - acknowledging that i'd rather have a background that contrasts with your clothing - it looks pretty good to me, angles-wise. just eyeballing it. i like it much better than if the bars were considerably lower. but i'm mostly interested in what i think will affect your comfort and power.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Another "I went to the Tunnel" Thread..... [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Martin, do you take any UCI exemptions?

thanks

MTM wrote:
Dan gave me a heads up on this article - thanks, Dan. I'm on training camp in Spain this week so am not keeping up as much on the interwebs as I usually am. I haven't read the thread, but will comment on what Dan summed up in his mail to me.

He is correct that my position hasn't changed much from 2015 to 2018. Biggest change has probably been when I went from the USE Tula to the 3T Aduro a few years back in that the Aduro was a bit higher stack so I had to go up a bit simply because of the handlebar limitation. I've used a couple of different ski bend extensions, but that's really minor. I dabbled a bit with some really steep ski bends to be more stretched within UCI limits (so the base of the ski tip is further forward when the tip set to max UCI length), but it wasn't comfortable nor faster, so I don't think I ever raced with them. I might also have adjusted my saddle a tiny bit back and have gotten a bit more stretched out from that. The Argon 18 I ride on the track is not stack limited, but it should be set up very close to the P5 position on the road. If anyone has some side by side comparison that shows a difference between the two I would definitely be interested to see that.

Seems like there are indeed some people moving to a higher hands, stretched position. I don't know if it's more than usual, but it might be. If it is, it might be related to the UCI now having more clear rules regarding where the limits are, so you are more secure about what you can do and what you can't - a few years back it was a bit more of a judgement call by the commissaires at the specific race, so you didn't really want to push the limits and being told that you can't race when you go to the bike check 10 min. before your start.

As a bit of teaser I can say I've changed my position quite a bit this year and am still working on getting the minor stuff adjusted - I took the decision back in October to shuffle things up regarding both position and training in order to have a shot at taking the last step up, but have kept it really low key as to keep my opponents as much in the dark for as long as possible. I'll do my first TT of the year in April, but it'll be a low key one, so it might be hard to find pictures from it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Feb 27, 19 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Another "I went to the Tunnel" Thread..... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the 80 cm BB to tip exemption - I don't know any male that doesn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Another "I went to the Tunnel" Thread..... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:
really, today's best time trialers as well i don't see their positions different than they were 5 years ago.

Really?

I'll pick a small sample size for argument's sake. But Dumoulin and Dennis are what I'd call "2020 UCI TT orthodoxy" and "Spartacus and Panzerwagen are what I'd call "2015 orthodoxy" (for their positions at the time). I think there's been a definitive change.

(cycling news photo credit)

From a horse's mouth:

(start at 2:50 if it doesn't automatically do that)
Quote Reply

Prev Next