Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please quote scientists who say that "we only have 12 years to live."
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Please quote scientists who say that "we only have 12 years to live." "

Are you asking me? Hell, I can't even find any kids in that video who said we only have 12 years to live. As far as I can tell, that's Ripple's quote.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
watched video - we just had another thread on 'arguing from authority' - so Feinstein loses this round based on her only falling back to this fallacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it from gphin.

#passthebuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Lets see, where have we heard this before?"

Scientists.

You seem to doubt them. Since you don't have a phd nor study the climate, can you tell us what is so absurd about their claims? Prayer? Faith? Good ol' fashion horse sense?

Really? What scientists are you referring to? Who exactly is the "they" you are referring to?
Or should we just believe AOCs word for it?
Last edited by: gphin305: Feb 24, 19 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

In Grade 6, the Principal threatened our entire class because we were all partaking in various stages of elastic fights. We had those desks you raise up so could use as a shield then you get paper and fold it into a tight U-shaped figure and propel it with an elastic band, like a slingshot. Someone started it and the entire class got involved. It slowly progressed to the point where people were using things like paper clips as a weapon. I can still hear him yelling that it's only fun until someone loses an eye.

And he wanted to give us the strap just for that? Go figure.

Paper clips? Pshaw. In my 8th grade class things escalated to the point where some kids were bending 2" sections of coat hanger wire into a U and sending them the length of the gym with industrial rubber bands.

At that point the administration rightfully cracked down *hard*, and having a rubber band in your pocket became a capital offense (well, almost).

Before it got to that point, I will never forget the day when the class bully fell asleep during algebra, lolling back in his seat. A few rows up, I waited until the teacher was at the board, turned around, lined up the shot, and nailed that fat fuck Danny right in the forehead with a smokin' fast hard paper wad.

He beat the shit out of me later, of course, but it was worth it. 40 years on, I've forgotten the beating but I still remember the way his eyes shot open a mile wide when I nailed him, and the big red welt left on his forehead. Priceless.
Last edited by: eb: Feb 24, 19 21:43
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Because it actually doesn’t help long term. There is a plenty of research on this. The problem isn’t the type of discipline, it’s the complete lack of any discipline.

I can not argue a complete lack of discipline as the woe for our ills in child development. However, I remain convinced (and this is just gut think and personal experience because I haven't read up on the plenty of research) that timely application of corporal punishment is an effective, short term behavior modifier and a compliment to other tools for long term adjustment.

I just don't understand why what was for centuries once acceptable and effective has fallen completely out of use. I acknowledge abuse of the technique has cast a bad light, but were there not successes too? Have more modern discipline tactics been as effective? I have not won this argument with my wife nor with my daughter who is now a mother too. Trust me, I tread lightly as an advocate and work real hard on those other discipline tools as a grandparent not wanting to lose visiting privileges, and more importantly and less selfishly, wanting my grand kids to appreciate thoughtful and measured discipline.
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Because it actually doesn’t help long term. There is a plenty of research on this. The problem isn’t the type of discipline, it’s the complete lack of any discipline.

I can not argue a complete lack of discipline as the woe for our ills in child development. However, I remain convinced (and this is just gut think and personal experience because I haven't read up on the plenty of research) that timely application of corporal punishment is an effective, short term behavior modifier and a compliment to other tools for long term adjustment.

I just don't understand why what was for centuries once acceptable and effective has fallen completely out of use. I acknowledge abuse of the technique has cast a bad light, but were there not successes too? Have more modern discipline tactics been as effective? I have not won this argument with my wife nor with my daughter who is now a mother too. Trust me, I tread lightly as an advocate and work real hard on those other discipline tools as a grandparent not wanting to lose visiting privileges, and more importantly and less selfishly, wanting my grand kids to appreciate thoughtful and measured discipline.

I'm with you on corporal punishment but the problem became, too many teachers and administrators didn't know when they crossed the line and punishment wasn't doled out equally. In addition, parents wanted to be the only ones discipling their kids. Problem was, the parents ended up not disciplining at home so there were/are no consequences at school any longer. Also, administrators are afraid to offend parents. Instead of telling the parents Little Johnnie is a shit and deserves his punishment, they have the teacher modify their discipline to adjust for the special little boy.

My wife's a teacher and she doesn't want corporal punishment in schools, doesn't really like it at home either but there is rarely if ever any punishment at home for what happens at school. I knew when I was a kid, I better not get into trouble at school because when I got home it would be 10X worse. My kids suffered the same fate.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
My wife's a teacher and she doesn't want corporal punishment in schools, doesn't really like it at home either but there is rarely if ever any punishment at home for what happens at school. I knew when I was a kid, I better not get into trouble at school because when I got home it would be 10X worse. My kids suffered the same fate.
Ditto. I hoped my parents wouldn't find out about the times I got into trouble at school. But now as a teacher, I've had situations where I've simply told a student who never turns in homework to put their cell phone away and get started on their homework when they have ten minutes remaining before the bell rings. Next thing I know, mom sends me an email or rings my desk phone wanting to know, "Why are you being mean to my little Billy!" after Billy sends mom a text message complaining about me. (And I'm dealing with the "upper third" of students in physics and chemistry classes.)

Parents these days. It's no wonder their kids act the way they do.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
DJRed wrote:
orphious wrote:
Do you have a link to a full video? I searched and cant find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3H1boPIIE

I didn't have a problem with the truncated version. But, when you see the entire exchange, Sen Feinstein handled herself more than appropriately. Could she have glad-handed these little bundles of joy and placated them? Absolutely. But, that would have been a disservice. She gave them a little dose of reality - something that seems to be missing in a lot of our schools today.

I saw it this way too, both the short and in the long versions [watched most of it]. I thought Senator Feinstein was frank and honest in the exchange.

Furthermore, I'm not as down on the kids as others. I actually give the kids kudos in being able to speak up, to an adult, on a complex issue, that they care about. Didn't seem scripted, as in I'm-going-to-read-this-paragraph-I-prepared. which is how it could have been on a field trip to meet a Senator. There was some good spontaneous, unrehearsed commentary there. Granted a 6th grader would be an unlikely match debating against a seasoned politician on practical realities, and I think that's what happened. I would hope the teachers debrief to the kids would have shared that sometimes there are alternative points of discussion, and sometimes you meet an immovable object.
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
What's worse the brain washed kids or Senator Fienstiens' smug reaction.

https://www.foxnews.com/...i-know-what-im-doing

How about Mitch McConnell having them arrested?
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost as if the left held some secret strategy meeting to discuss the best way to lose the 2020 election.
Quote Reply
Re: What's worse? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
"Smack in the head", aka corporal punishment, I think that train has left the station and I don't see it returning. Of the few childhood memories still vivid are my third grade nun cracking her ruler over the palm of my hand and my uncle pulling his belt out from his pants as he climbed the stairs to coax 4 boys to stop jumping on the bed. If parents won't apply this proven behavior modifier, they might at least be just as disinterested with their outrage over "my child was abused and is the victim here".

Not to betray my age but in my primary school we had the strap, a thick piece of rubber where the Principal would hold a child's hand and give him a smack. I never had it but it was the best deterrent for all the kids.

In Grade 6, the Principal threatened our entire class because we were all partaking in various stages of elastic fights. We had those desks you raise up so could use as a shield then you get paper and fold it into a tight U-shaped figure and propel it with an elastic band, like a slingshot. Someone started it and the entire class got involved. It slowly progressed to the point where people were using things like paper clips as a weapon. I can still hear him yelling that it's only fun until someone loses an eye.

And he wanted to give us the strap just for that? Go figure.

I lived in fear of the strap. Never even saw the damn thing but got hauled into the principals office a few times and the mere mention of it got me in tears.

We did the elastic thing too. Once in grade 8 I sailed one across the class and did hit a girl in the eye. She cried for about ten minutes. Then I panicked thinking now I have done it. That was the last time I did stupid stuff like that.

About a month after that somebody stuck a little message on the back of the teachers pants. It said kick me. I actually felt sorry for the guy so I tried to pick it off as he went by. I bungled the attempt and he felt something and busted me for attempting to stick it on him. I didn't even bother protesting.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next