Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona run course goes in the wrong direction [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But your missing my point. What I'm saying is that the quality of the event is the biggest priority for an event like Kona that is so lightly spectated on site and really watched online. Just putting them in front of the fans doesn't really make it better. What will make it better is the quality of the course (and the athletes). So that should be the priority- build the best race within the confines of permits, etc that you can, and then worry about spectator viewing secondarily. But if the courses you are suggesting that does in fact create the better viewing is the best course, even better.

So your comments on watching empty stadiums vs full stadiums has nothing to do with the spectators but the actual quality of the athletes/event. AdH is so heavily spectated because it's an mountain that everyone knows is going to create fireworks on. They know that it's going to create a group of 20 and then a final small handful of athletes somewhere on the mountain.

So create the best course you can within the confines of permitting, roads having to cross over each other, etc and you'll get the best overall experience w/ on site spectators and online viewing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 24, 19 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: Kona run course goes in the wrong direction [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once you get about a mile from the pier on Alii though there aren't really any more hotels or anything. There aren't many spectators beyond that point, because there is no way really for them to get there aside from walking. I just don't think suddenly there would be crowds of people lining the course 5 miles out of town just because it was suddenly actually accessible on the off chance that that is where the interesting passing might happen. Sure, maybe people who are staying out near Keahou could have an easy time walking down to watch that end of the action, but then what? They might possible see an interesting pass if it happens at that part of the course? And then they have no clue what happens the last 4-5 miles? It's a guessing game on any given year where the "excitement" if any might occur on the race course. There are always going to be the most people right by finish/transition because that is where everyone is constantly coming and going, and because that is where people can set up camp and have restaurants and bathrooms and convenience stores if they don't have a hotel room nearby. From there they can see the first mile or so, the last mile or so, plus again at mile 8-9 or whatever it is now that they moved the turnaround a bit last year. I don't think changing the run course to start with the Energy Lab is going to change where people would watch the race from.

Plus, again, as has been stated already, the run needs to go to the Energy Lab later due to the run course crossing the bike course and it'd be too dangerous if it happened too early.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona run course goes in the wrong direction [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
Plus, again, as has been stated already, the run needs to go to the Energy Lab later due to the run course crossing the bike course and it'd be too dangerous if it happened too early.

Why can't the run just be on the ocean side of the run all the time?

or why does it HAVE TO GO into the energy lab?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona run course goes in the wrong direction [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with PJC. The first out and back is perfect. I could do without Palani and the Energy lab, it gets slow, hot and lonely out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next