Quote | Reply
You should order from Merlin.
Quote Reply
Re: Chainreaction - how much longer not selling Shimano? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
GrahamK wrote:
Shimano wants to have different pricing structures in different markets (both geographic, and o.e.m. install vs individual "replacement" sales) to optimize the revenue-per-unit/market-share equation. Their wholesale prices for replacement component sales in the USA, a market with a large number of consumers with substantial discretionary income and relatively low transaction taxes, are presumably at the higher end of the scale. When Shimano turns a blind eye to retailers who are grey-marketing Shimano components bought wholesale at European o.e.m. install prices (presumably at the lower end of the scale) into the USA replacement components market, it not only undermines the US wholesales & retailers, it also undermines Shimano's overall global pricing strategy.

Yes it undermines their strategy, which is basically, screw the North Americans because they can afford it. The existence of grey market is an unsurprising result of this strategy. If they had a flat pricing strategy across the different markets, there would be no grey market and no undermining of US retailers.

really, you guys don't know how good you have it!
its not just north americans they are screwing, it is pretty much every market outside of the EU/UK. in NZ we look enviously at the US prices (on pretty much everything) and we can't get shimano from wiggle etc either.

For NZ maybe you buy in USA online and use comgateway to freight forward to you in NZ?
Quote Reply
Re: Chainreaction - how much longer not selling Shimano? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
GrahamK wrote:
Shimano wants to have different pricing structures in different markets (both geographic, and o.e.m. install vs individual "replacement" sales) to optimize the revenue-per-unit/market-share equation. Their wholesale prices for replacement component sales in the USA, a market with a large number of consumers with substantial discretionary income and relatively low transaction taxes, are presumably at the higher end of the scale. When Shimano turns a blind eye to retailers who are grey-marketing Shimano components bought wholesale at European o.e.m. install prices (presumably at the lower end of the scale) into the USA replacement components market, it not only undermines the US wholesales & retailers, it also undermines Shimano's overall global pricing strategy.

Yes it undermines their strategy, which is basically, screw the North Americans because their draconian lack of consumer-protection laws allow us to.

FTFY. It's free-market capitalism at work.

But at least you have FREEDOMâ„¢... to be exploited.
Quote Reply
Re: Chainreaction - how much longer not selling Shimano? [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike shop!
Quote Reply
Re: Chainreaction - how much longer not selling Shimano? [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that others have posted the two most common sources (Merlin) and (bikediscount). I bought a Di2 group from Merlin this time last year and the transaction went very well. I have also just purchased some shimano MTB groupsets from Aliexpress since it was the cheapest I could get.

For some reason, shipments through China don't seem to attract as much CRA attention/tax* as do shipments from EU (*I'm in Canada).
Quote Reply

Prev Next