Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ultrasound massager
Quote | Reply
I was noodling on buying one of these things but it turns out you need a prescription to do so in the US, but not in Canada, or presumably elsewhere. What's up with that? Outside of attempting to insert it into a body cavity, is there any possible way I could injure myself with one of those or is it just a form of regulatory protectionism?
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exactly sure what this is. I have an ultrasound unit in the office. This is therapeutic ultrasound, not to be confused with ultrasound imaging. These units cost a couple of grand or so and AFAIK in most places you have to liscensed as a DC, DO, MD, dentist, etc to legally use them.

Would you have a link to one of these units.
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [Doc Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a person who used to repair ultrasounds, there was the possiblity of burns, not only on the surface but deep in the muscle, I wouldn't recommend using one unless I was a physical therapist or the like. These should also be tested at least yearly to make sure they are safe, and yes while testing I have been burned by theraputic ultrasounds while holding in my hand testing them.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [rshultz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't take a Master's Degree, or medical school, to learn how to correctly use an ultrasound unit. It does require that you keep the soundhead constantly moving to prevent burns as was mentioned in the previous post. Ultrasound can reach a tissue depth of about 3-5cm.

I can say that, as a physical therapist, I have used and prescribed ultrasound hundreds of times, and the more that I use it, the less I believe that it is an effective form of treatment. There have not been any quality clinical studies that have shown it to be an effective treatment.

I say, save your money and avoid the possibility of burns. It's not likely to improve your health much or make you a better triathlete. Just my $.02

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an allied health professional who uses therapeutic Ultrasound, you do need to have some higher education to use it. Different settings are used to treat various types of injuries or conditions, this is not something you just slap on a body part and swirl some gel around for a set amount of time without a correct set-up. And yes there are studies that suggest it is both a valid modality and other that say it is not. If your interested in having some ultrasound therapy done I suggest you get a prescription from your orthopedic and go see a PT or Certified Athletic Trainer to be treated.
Quote Reply
Re: ultrasound massager [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"ultrasound therapy done I suggest you get a prescription from your orthopedic and go see a PT or Certified Athletic Trainer to be treated"

------

I'm doing that, but that process is much more time consuming than slapping the ultrasound massager on myself. Your post and the one immediately above yours have informed me that self treatment is not a good idea, so thanks for the input.
Quote Reply