Quote | Reply

Here is what the MRI read:
High grade, near-complete radial tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus
at the root attachment.
Last edited by: MadisonMan: Feb 21, 19 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your doctor didn't tell you, then find another doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on' man...Really.... You know in today's world they post results on your electronic record and it takes a few days to get into see your doctor. Thanks for the great insight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
high grade = not good it's usually a score..but calling it high usually means surgery.
Near -complete = should be rather obvious you think
posterial horn medial is just giving the location (back part)
root attachment = weight bearing part sadly.

hate to break it to you, but I've been exactly there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if you have been here,
What type of surgery?
How long were you out!
You back to normal running?
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running. Had some knee pain and then flared up bad in a race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That scares me. No trauma or twisting. Just straight up running. Ugh.
Best of luck! Hope it all ends up being ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, hard to tell. The longer version is I was dealing with a hamstring issue that wasn't bad so I ran through it. I did the Disney Goofy Challenge, did the 5K on Thursday no issue, during the 10K on Friday I felt something like my knee was tight and then a mile later it hurt pretty bad but then went away. I don't recall stepping weird or turning. The weird thing is now it feels pretty good and even after several days after the 10K I was biking on the trainer and no problem at all. I even had an all time high best FTP Test on the trainer....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize they post your medical test results before seeing the doctor so I apologize. My doctor never did it but I guess some, or many do nowadays. Anyway, I thought it took trauma to tear a meniscus unless it was age related. I hope yours heals but the meniscus often doesn't. Everybody is different though, and yours might. Perhaps the fact that it wasn't trauma is a good thing, as it might be easier to address (or heal). We don't like seeing anyone have to deal with joint issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tore my meniscus eight years (and about 75 races) ago. Dr. Scerpella, now the head of UW Sports Medicine in Madison, performed the arthroscopic surgery. Couldn't be more pleased - full recovery, and you can't even see a scar. I followed the PT regimen post-surgery for eight weeks, followed by a gradual resumption of distance running. That knee has taken a pounding ever since with no issues. Good luck with your outcome, and look forward to the best years ahead.

https://www.uwhealth.org/...-a-scerpella-md/8752

John, formally in Madison, now escaped to St Pete Beach

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was in 2015 ( I was 53)...started as a nuisance pain behind the left knee during some easy runs....then after 2 weeks off, i decided to enter a local 10 mile race. Just over 1 mile in, my meniscus tore. felt like someone took a scissors and snipped most of the supporting ligaments and tissues connecting my lower leg to my knee. I hobbled back to the start of the race, drove home, and iced up. I could walk, but pain when trying to test run.
Doctor diagnosed the torn meniscus, exacerbated by arthritis.
Same day surgery, walking and doing stairs the next day.
Recovery back to 90% running took me 15-18 months.
I lost 30-45 seconds off my pre-injury mile pace.
Since the injury, Ive completed 2 HIM and one IM (IMMD in 2018)
Follow the PT regimen for improving chances for successful recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore the meniscus in my left knee when I was 30. Did it in the pool pushing off the wall and hyper extending the knee. Then I did the same thing to my right knee 15 years later - again in the pool. That's why I hate pool swimming and don't run anymore. Good thing I can still do open water swim and go fast on the bike.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s probably the report from the radiologist that they give to you and send to the dr, and then at your dr’s appointment they go over it with you to explain exactly what it means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter. Results from surgery are just as good as physical therapy one year out. Find a good PT and get your range of motion back. Avoid those activities that aggravate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like I may have had a different type, as I had a horizontal slap tear, caused in the run of a sprint tri (I had just turned 40). It was very painful for a few weeks then didn’t really improve for about 3 months. I saw a surgeon after 4 months and it had just started to get a little better. The surgeon said he wasn’t going to sell me on the idea of surgery at that point as it had started to improve. Now 14 months later I hardly notice and it still seems to be improving. I’m 70 odd runs into the 100/100 run challenge and no issues at all. Just letting you know that surgery isn’t always the only option (as others have said). I biked almost staight after the tear which I think helped a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
So, if you have been here,
What type of surgery?
How long were you out!
You back to normal running?

I tore my acl too...so replaced that with a donor, cut off miniscus and smoothed out
was out 1 year but that was more acl related
I will never be able to run what I call normal, i lost too much meniscus. i cant pile on the miles
Quote Reply
Re: Types of Meniscus Tears--What is mine? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, do you still do Tri's? Is your plan to swim/bike most of the volume and then do a couple of strong runs a week? Just trying to plan what the long term looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes mostly sprints now.. I limit the amount of running I do to almost nothing. I will throw a 5k in here and there. The little tri-series near me is both good and bad being more of a trail run. Good that the surface is dirt, but can be loose so I need to be carfeful there too.

Most of my volume is cycling.. I'm a cyclist first. Just started doing Tris again since I needed to justify my TT bike a little more in my mind. Last time I did 10k my knee was a little wonky.. so not ready for Oly distance, but I do need to try again and see how it goes.

everybody is different.. you will need to see how things go after PT.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 25, 19 10:00
Quote Reply