Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes?
Quote | Reply
I have a great, but heavy, steel Kona Rove that I use for gravel, foul weather riding, commuting, etc. However it is a bit heavy and I'm thinking about a light, fast, comfortable carbon gravel bike for doing some races, and I might only keep it for a season, so I'd hope to get something that holds value (as much as a bike can, after all).

One of the go-to answers for an affordable, fast tri bike that holds value is a Cervelo P2, to which you then upgrade the basebar, add Tririg brakes, and put some aero wheels on it, and you have 98% of a Superbike (or something like this). What would you say is the gravel equivalent to this? I am thinking something like the Warbird 105?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why carbon? I'm convinced that (especially on a bang-for-the-buck basis) aluminum frames are the best option.

For example, a Fuji Jari 1.1 appears to be >$1K less expensive than the Warbird 105, is comparably spec'd, and I'd bet is within 1 lb. of "all up" weight...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair question! This is based on test riding a Kona Rove NRB DL (aluminum on 650b Byways) and a Libre (carbon on the same Byways) - they had essentially the same 105 groups and kona alloy cockpits. The carbon frame was lighter and felt smoother with faster acceleration. I think over the course of a long day that would make a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t necessarily know the answer to your question but when I was doing my research a few months ago it seemed like no matter where I looked the Venn diagram of “affordability”, “cant go wrong” and “highly respected” centered around the Warbird. Thus, I picked up a close out 2018 Warbird Apex 1 and have been very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Canyon Grail as it was the best value for money I could find (and the cheapest entry level Carbon frame gravel bike I could get in Australia). But I guess for resale value, in your case, the non-orthodoxy of this bike (especially the handlebar) is not the best comparison with a P2.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Why carbon? I'm convinced that (especially on a bang-for-the-buck basis) aluminum frames are the best option.

For example, a Fuji Jari 1.1 appears to be >$1K less expensive than the Warbird 105, is comparably spec'd, and I'd bet is within 1 lb. of "all up" weight...

I think aluminum is probably still best value but steel is also an option and lots of frame designs making weight close to aluminum frames. And steel tends to absorb the rough roads better which in the case of gravel riding can be important. Even better titanium. Lynskey has some pretty affordable titanium gravel bikes and they're always having sales.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Even better titanium.

The P2 is my only bike, after 3 years I'm very happy with it. Recently I started playing with the idea of getting another bike, bounced around between road/cx/fat/mountain and came to the conclusion that a gravel bike is really what I'm looking for.

I played with the idea of the Canyon Grail for a while, but then discovered the titanium bikes. Still looking into them, but as a second bike ti is well in the lead for me.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a P2 for tri and picked up a 2019 Salsa Warbird (Apex build) last fall and am in love. Price is decent and there isn't much it can't do. Eventually my plan is three wheel sets... 700c general gravel (just ordered some Industry Nine wheels and they are flat our gorgeous), a 650b that I can either put wide mountain bike tires on or a wider gravel tire for sand, and a set for road wheels. Flat out awesome and versatile bike at a decent price. I've heard other people say that other brands have a better value for the build so it might be worth looking into, but I'm a Salsa fan and they really take the adventure by bike lifestyle seriously and have been doing it as long as anyone, if not longer.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice set of bikes! Yes, the newest Warbird really does seem to hit most everything I'd want, so pretty interested - plus as a former Vaya owner I do like the brand.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grail is definitely interesting - I actually really like the alloy model and for one bike to do it all it seems awesome. However, since I already have a steel bike to really beat up, I feel like full carbon is what I want to do here.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this bike is a great bang for the buck:
https://www.donnellycycling.com/...ts/copy-of-g-c-rival


Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Warbird 105 is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's pretty expensive for the component set. For $1300 less, you can get a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 which matches up, on paper at least, pretty well. Yeah, it has Giant's Conduct hybrid cable/hydraulic brakes which get mixed reviews. But even if you decide to upgrade to true 105 7000 hydraulics, you're still nearly a grand ahead.

Or spend ~$150 more than the Warbird 105 and get a Revolt Advanced 0 with Ultegra, carbon wheels, and Giants vibration-damping D-Fuse carbon handlebars. I think the Advanced 2 is the safer bet, however, in terms of absolute depreciation should you wish to liquidate after a year.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 22, 19 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
mickison wrote:
Even better titanium.


The P2 is my only bike, after 3 years I'm very happy with it. Recently I started playing with the idea of getting another bike, bounced around between road/cx/fat/mountain and came to the conclusion that a gravel bike is really what I'm looking for.

I played with the idea of the Canyon Grail for a while, but then discovered the titanium bikes. Still looking into them, but as a second bike ti is well in the lead for me.

I have been looking a new gravel/commuter for about 6 month now and I can't decide if Ti is worth the price. The frame sets I am looking at (from the same company) come in around £1800 for Ti or £700 for alloy including a carbon fork. The Ti frame is also 200g heavier than the alloy frame. I have ridden a few nice modern allow frames in the past few years and I can't imagine Ti rides >£1000 better.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The Warbird 105 is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's pretty expensive for the component set. For $1300 less, you can get a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 which matches up, on paper at least, pretty well. Yeah, it has Giant's Conduit hybrid cable/hydraulic brakes which get mixed reviews. But even if you decide to upgrade to true 105 7000 hydraulics, you're still nearly a grand ahead.

Or spend ~$150 more than the Warbird 105 and get a Revolt Advanced 0 with Ultegra, carbon wheels, and Giants vibration-damping D-Fuse carbon handlebars. I think the Advanced 2 is the safer bet, however, in terms of absolute depreciation should you wish to liquidate after a year.

The Giant Revolt Advanced 2 is on my very short list of next bikes

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revolt 2 does seem like a very good deal - however I am not sold on the Conduct braking system, and I don't think it is 650b compatible. However for bang for your buck the Giants seem pretty hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about the Kestrel Terx as well. $2100 from Bikes Direct, carbon frame and Force build.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the Cervelo P2 of Gravel bikes? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
SteveM wrote:
mickison wrote:
Even better titanium.
I have been looking a new gravel/commuter for about 6 month now and I can't decide if Ti is worth the price. The frame sets I am looking at (from the same company) come in around £1800 for Ti or £700 for alloy including a carbon fork. The Ti frame is also 200g heavier than the alloy frame. I have ridden a few nice modern allow frames in the past few years and I can't imagine Ti rides >£1000 better.

I wouldn't go Ti, or Carbon.

I happen to have an older US-made Spooky Supertouch frame, which is fantastic - stout and super-light .
Spookycycles rebooted http://www.wearespooky.com/gravel

Not cheap tho!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://www.jagersport.com/
Quote Reply