Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
It's $40 or $45 a month. So if you subscribe it's likely because you're cutting cable, not cutting TV. It's a streaming service so you just need good internet.

It's amazing how quickly things have developed. We gut renovated our house a couple of years ago and the contractor couldn't believe I didn't think running speaker and cable wiring through the walls was a good investment. Today our router is the only device in the house that has more than one wire coming out of it.

There was a discussion on the speaker wire thing a few weeks back. I think a high jacked thread about sound bars. I have not done the research, but I do have BT/Wireless speakers, and I would be shocked if a company like Polk Audio did not offer wireless INwall speakers. So yeah, the whole house wiring thing is over. Plus, they make all sorts of "extenders" BT and all, so that you can put a hub somewhere and use said wireless speakers anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firestick does work for YouTube, you just have to click onto youtube.com then proceed. I prefer Roku to Firestick. I got one Firestick to replace a Roku, a couple of years ago, then another. I've since replaced that first Firestick with a Roku Stick. I think that one is the best bargain in Roku devices.

My upstate house gets on over the air tv and we don't have cable. There is plenty of streaming content available. We don't need cable.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use appleTV to drive my youtubeTV. I tried the firestick and the workaround, approx. one year ago. It was janky as hell, and it did not work. Did this get fixed? Do Amazon and Google (Youtube) play nice together now? If not, and the work around has not been introduced, then don't waste your time using YouTubeTV and Firestick.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have an update on the city house, got a 60 mile antenna and got 0 channels. Took it back and got a Roku box from Costco today, and so far so good. Signed up for Netflix and Hulu, and I get 3 months CBS for free, so that will have to do for now. Kind of bummed about the local channel thing, but I guess I may have to sign up for something that includes most of them later on.

Next up is the rural house, now not too sure about those locals and the antenna. If not, will do the Roku thing there too, it seems almost like a real tv with remote and voice commands..
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, right now I'm at my Upstate house. It's in the mountains west of Woodstock and we get no over the air channels. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and CBS we have more than we need to watch. I got CBS so I could watch the morning news,but now Roku has the NewsOn app that gives you your local news. With NewsOn, I'm now getting CBS news from Albany and can probably get NYC as well. I'll probably give up the CBS app soon.

You can also get a Chromecast and you'll be able to cast anything from your computer, ipad or phone. There's plenty to see without cable. We don't need no stinkin cable!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I am zero local via antenna on my side of the hill because the Mt Wilson towers are blcked by the foothills, and I would bet Xantusia also has the same problem. But because of this thread I cancelled DirecTV in favor of DirecTV now ... works great on computer and ipad, but had to upgrade both internet and my roku stick. Even so, looks like good savings in the long term, so thanks for pushing me off the fence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
SO I have two accounts, direct and dish at two houses, I just cancelled them for the end of the month. Just got tired of the creeping up of costs, and then arguing with them and just getting an offer to go back to where I was. Combined they were about $140 a month, so I will save about $1700 a year. Have 3 young kids, dont let them watch a ton, but need good content for them.

But I need to replace them with something, thinking Netflix? I also would like some local channels, what can I do there, any antennas that bring in the digital signals? One house in a big city, other is rural. My wife has a $5 a month Hulu, figure to keep that, add in the 4 tv Netflix, and maybe another cheap one?? Do I need something to connect it to my tv, like Apple TV? I know I can connect my computer to it, but don't really want to tie it up every time we want to watch, so some set top box?

Ok, lots of questions for those of you that have cut your cords, I would like to keep the monthly under $25 total so that I actually save a decent amount of money. Dont mind up front costs of equipment, that will amortize it self over time to almost nothing, just want to get the best bang for the buck.

I went down this path late last year and, as is typical for me, I decided to take the most complicated route. I built my own Plex server. Here is a mile high overview: https://nymag.com/...rvice-with-plex.html

I built my Plex server on an Intel NUC with a 4TB hard drive (about $400) and I buy Blue Rays off of eBay (typically will get a bundle of 10 for $20-30). I've bought entire seasons of some shows (The Office, House, Game of Thrones, West World, etc.). It kind of becomes a "batch" thing that I might do once a month while doing laundry (pop a disc in, let the computer do its thing, come back again in a couple of hours). I probably have 200+ movies and a dozen shows at this point with less than $1,000 and 20 hours of time invested... but said time invested is kind of overblown since, like I said, I incorporated it into normal chores.

One of the reasons I did this was I anticipated weekend trips in a camper to remote places where I was unlikely to have great internet but still might want to watch a movie at night. I can "download" YouTube videos and podcasts as well to Plex which is something I intend to do.

That said, I still have Netflix at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I get all the local channels over the air. The only live TV I watch is NFL, but if I couldn't get that I'd have to do something desperate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the cable cord, need advice [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to get local with an antenna, but both places I live did not receive a one. So CBS was my go to, has a lot of shows I like, and the local news with the best looking weatherwomen.. (-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next