Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

They see value in watching people play poker.....far more boring than any sport on earth yet that sport is broadcast now all over the world. It's not that there isn't a good TV feed for Kona it's that there is no incentive to have a good TV feed.

Ok. Now you’ve gone too far. Lol
I’m a poker fan. Half the time, I’m watching poker on the trainer or treadmill. It’s great!

This thread is the pessimists group funeral. I need to hand all of you some tissues to wipe all those tears. I like biking and running and ... well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Jk, swimming has grown on me too. I don’t care about the races. I enjoy the training, being fit, and eating what I want. I enjoy all my expensive toys and bikes. If there was no racing, I would still train every day. I’ll make my own tri time trials.
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my reasons for believing there will not be a boom in triathlon there.

The people I work with, exercise with, and speak frequently to spent the first 25-40 years of their life living and working in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam.

Your there now having a positive experience.

Your seeing more interest.

There will be more involvment.

More will do triathlon.

I simply don't belive there will be a boom that rides for 5-10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It didn't start that way. Trust me, based on the original advertising I had no idea I was going to line up with so many kids on a colored mat, flagged start and the whole enchilada. Several years later with a number of variations it became what it is and I don't see that remotely as the kind of event to grow the base of triathlon. It is a niche within a niche.
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha so your one of the “what’s the old dude doing here” that raced in the EDR many years back. I’ve been to that event every year since 2011 and knew the score even back then.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The very first one! I wasn't DFL, but it was close! Colleges had long been coming to Clermont for Spring Break and I had raced many ... and beaten many ... in local no draft races. The first draft legal race was billed for anyone who wanted to try the ITU format. I naively assumed that more "experienced" people would sign up. They had a no draft race that same day and many of the college kids opted for that instead.
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha that’s awesome!

I don’t think DL is the specific answer I think sprint races in front of fans can be the answer. But of course that doesn’t translate well with “get in aero for 2 hours” triathletes who think anything below that is beneat them.

ETA: but I also think this...the people that are going to be putting on races in 10 years will be me and colleagues of mine who may stay with the Same approach or may see sprints as the answer etc. I also know that there is a ground swell of under 19 athletes the past 5 years that the sport has never had. Give them time to filter college and get “life” started and what they may like and want to race may be completely different than the current middle to old athletes filling most of IM’s now.

So I don’t know the answer I do know the specifics of the sport is showcasing that in fact there is the first generation of “young” athletes that have raced triathlon and may stay in sport or come back post figuring life out stage etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 19 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look good. Look at golf and tennis as examples, along with triathlon they are not appealing to younger generations. I remember waiting hours to get a court, and not even playing golf on some days as you could never get a tee time (now there is never a wait for either). Ten years ago there were often multiple choices for triathlons in my area, in July I could do one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. Looking through the race calendar, most of those are gone. I think there will still be big races around, but what we are probably looking at is fewer races, higher fees, and hopefully people not talking about triathlon in the same conversations as darts, and bowling.

I don't think there should be much mystery to triathlons modest appeal to younger athletes.
Most races are populated mostly by athletes in the 35-50 age range. That alone will likely put off most 15-25 year olds.
On top of that there's the focus, in some spheres (ST especially) on equipment and data. This is not what most younger athletes are looking for in their sport. I'd expect the vast majority of younger athletes to be unable to compete in terms of equipment since they will typically have considerably smaller budgets. I'd imagine that could be a bit off-putting, even if the reality is that their youth facilitates much bigger performance gains than fancy equipment does!
We've turned the sport into something that can be perceived as rather expensive, exclusive and full of it's own importance. There are consequences.

I think, ironically, that forums like this are public enemy number one when it comes to cost. Most of the posts on the forum are "what XXX should I buy?" and those items generally carry a 4 figure price tag. There's shockingly little here about training or race reports (at least on a regular basis). It also doesn't help that triathlon has become all about Ironman, which has an extraordinary price tag just for entry.
Last edited by: jhammond: Mar 9, 19 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look good. Look at golf and tennis as examples, along with triathlon they are not appealing to younger generations. I remember waiting hours to get a court, and not even playing golf on some days as you could never get a tee time (now there is never a wait for either). Ten years ago there were often multiple choices for triathlons in my area, in July I could do one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. Looking through the race calendar, most of those are gone. I think there will still be big races around, but what we are probably looking at is fewer races, higher fees, and hopefully people not talking about triathlon in the same conversations as darts, and bowling.

I don't think there should be much mystery to triathlons modest appeal to younger athletes.
Most races are populated mostly by athletes in the 35-50 age range. That alone will likely put off most 15-25 year olds.
On top of that there's the focus, in some spheres (ST especially) on equipment and data. This is not what most younger athletes are looking for in their sport. I'd expect the vast majority of younger athletes to be unable to compete in terms of equipment since they will typically have considerably smaller budgets. I'd imagine that could be a bit off-putting, even if the reality is that their youth facilitates much bigger performance gains than fancy equipment does!
We've turned the sport into something that can be perceived as rather expensive, exclusive and full of it's own importance. There are consequences.

I think, ironically, that forums like this are public enemy number one when it comes to cost. Most of the posts on the forum are "what XXX should I buy?" and those items generally carry a 4 figure price tag. There's shockingly little here about training or race reports (at least on a regular basis). It also doesn't help that triathlon has become all about Ironman, which has an extraordinary price tag just for entry.
I agree this forum can be quite focused on expensive equipment purchases. I presume that's mostly because people like to get the opinion of others before spending significant money, and this can be a great source of opinion. I also find Americans often seem more purchasing oriented than others. Just my observation from having lived in the US for a while, online conversations, working with Americans, etc. I'm not sure if it reflects the US as a whole.
There is a lot of training discussion on ST. I'm surprised you say there's shockingly little.
Not many race reports, I agree. I'm fine with that.
Ironman is probably by far the best publically known triathlon brand globally but I don't believe triathlon is all about Ironman. Certainly a majority of triathletes I know, focus on sprint, olympic and 70.3 distances, with a reasonable proportion having done one or two 140.6 races; but most see that as an extra challenge to tack onto their mainstay if shorter races. Again, this seems a little different in the US from what I've gleaned here.
Quote Reply
Re: What will the future of Tri be? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Equipment:

I don't know why people on this forum avoid to adopt, but solid rubber tires are the way to go, especially with a company like Tannus making a tire mimicking an air tire. So no more DNF due to flats.

Sport:

Can we get vasa on Zwift... From there virtual tri's will be a thing. Perhaps spin cycling studio s can be turned into a gaming center to do triathlon.

Been looking at Tannus tires. How are they performance wise? It seems interesting.

Page 18: http://www.triclubsandiego.org/...inews-november-2018/

Wish dcrainmaker would review but all he cares about is powermeters

VERY interesting, thanks for the link. Have you used them yourself???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next