Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
I've switched from buying Samsungs for my rental properties to Whirlpools.....front loader washers. Purchase from my local Lowes when they have sales. You can easily find good deals on Samsungs but around here you can't find anyone to service a Samsung appliance product....you must go through a Samsung service center......which may or may not be close by. You don't need to spend the kind of money on Miele, but thats personal choice.. I'm sure you have done reviews but here is one that is pretty comprehensive. i'd keep them side by side and build shelving to accommodate. And yes, always keep the door open.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/...ble-appliance-brands

If you find a Samsung repair person they are usually worthless. My french door frig kept freezing up and I had to finally fix it myself through a Youtube video with some foil tape and insulation. There is a 20 page forum on problems with Samsung refrigerators that were designed poorly and they won't warranty them. Between the wash machine and the fridge, I will never buy another Samsung appliance.

To quote me from another ST thread about ice maker problems with Samsung fridges:

The GMAN wrote:
We had the same issue with the Samsung. We had the four door model, if you've seen that one, and we would have someone out every six months to fix it. After four and a half fucking years of this I had enough and went DefCon 1 on Best Buy. My five year warranty was running out so these repairs were going to start coming from my wallet and that wasn't going to happen. Best Buy refunded my money. Bought an LG and haven't had a problem.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Bought w/d this summer. I wanted to go easier on the pocket book, so i went with top loading washer. It is important if you go with top loading to get one with an Impeller, not an agitator.

Since i'd rather just hang out here in the LR instead of venturing out in to the wide world of Googles, could you or anyone else explain why?
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We recently replaced our 15 to 20 year old washer and dryer. We went with a whirlpool and Maytag combo (do you really need to have the same make?). And we went cheap, as cheap, means no extra fancy electronic circuit boards that will break down. The pair cost around $1100. Was looking at Speed Queen but heard there werechangestothe more recent models that have affected quality. The washer is a top load with no agitator, and the tub volume seems huge compared to our old one. 2 weeks in no issues.

I was going to just fix our old dryer, but the price difference between a new dryer and the needed part was around $300.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s where my logic started and now I’m thinking about replacing the utility sink with a dog wash station.

Pretty soon the fact I have to do laundry will catch up with me and I will come back to reality.

Everything seems so bad these days I’m leaning towards going super basic and having low expectations.

Well other than the new dog wash and total reconfiguration of cabinets.

Anyone know if there is a big plumbing change from a utility sink to a dog wash (hand shower and shower base surrounded by tile)? The drain is my concern.

The tile saw hasn’t been off the shelf in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
Bought w/d this summer. I wanted to go easier on the pocket book, so i went with top loading washer. It is important if you go with top loading to get one with an Impeller, not an agitator.

Since i'd rather just hang out here in the LR instead of venturing out in to the wide world of Googles, could you or anyone else explain why?

What ever you do don't buy a top loader with an Impeller, get an agitator.

Why, the impellers are the "new" high efficiency top loader, since front loaders failed.. Well without the agitator its hard to get the clothes to mix and with the reduced water, its even more challenging. The new stuff just has not been figured out.

Sure they will tell you an agitator wears out your clothes (do you notice your clothes wearing out now?) they use more water, they use the same amount your current one uses.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Built in obslecence is definitely a thing when it comes to washers and most of them, even the supposed high end ones out there today are terrible. Used to be Speed Queen was the bomb but no longer. Look for the Maytag commercial series washer. Good review on YouTube from a dealer who doesn't even carry that line. Just did a bunch of research and bought one for my Pop.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
Bought w/d this summer. I wanted to go easier on the pocket book, so i went with top loading washer.
It is important if you go with top loading to get one with an Impeller, not an agitator.

Here's an article.....both have pros and cons. That's why so many recommend front loaders now.
https://www.appliancesconnection.com/...ith-no-agitator.html

Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
First good luck, I dread when this day comes if ever for us, I just keep fixing mine.

The state of washing Machines in the US in my opinion is a mess. The US has for a few years now been trying to bring across efficiency methods used in europe and do to differing lifestyles many just dont work. (I use to be a big fan of tankless water heaters, but could not understand why the US didn't have them, but after more research, I understood, in general the US uses way more water, and the euro style tankless just cant keep up with our water demands, now they are starting to make them bigger and more powerfull to keep up but especially for gas ones, you need to make sure the gas can get to them... sorry for the side track but it applies) So the US brought over the front loader high efficiencies, and for years manufactures denied they had problems with mold. (turns out in Europe if the have a washing machine its in a place they leave the door open. Most us homes its hidden away in a closet or mud room and the door is kept closed... And you get mold. So unless you can keep the door open don't get a front load (which then eliminates the stacking ability). Now because they realized oh shit this aint working, they have come out with top loading High efficiency washers. The earlier reviews were they didn't clean very well, to be honest I have not researched these much in the past few years, and maybe someone has really figured them out. For me if I had to go buy something, I would buy an old fashioned top loader with an agitator. In 2017 39% of the machines sold in the US were still top load agitators.

https://www.consumerreports.org/...ad-agitator-washers/

Oh and if your dryer is still working no need to buy a new one of those.

So very well said!
We will be keeping our washer and dryer for life. If we sell the house we will take them. They are fantastic and I've done simple fixed fixes for minimal cost. I will need to replace a part in the washer soon, but even if it's 250, I would rather keep it than get a new POS that will definitely fail in 1 to 3 years, and not work well.

To the OP, keep it, and get it fixed by a neighbor or handyman since your husband is out with injury. The new ones suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reviving this post.
our whirlpool washer - 12 years old had our wet clothes hostage yesterday.
we got them out after trying various things, it finally gave up the goods when we hit the child lock option, unplugged and plugged back in.

then i out in 2 towels to do a test run, and they have been stuck since.

we are looking at another no frills front loader and the whirlpool is not in stock at one shop and takes a week to deliver from another.

they have samsung in stock but i am not so sure.

suggestions?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most washers these days try to use a minimal amount of water (high efficiency). I don't care for that, my family does a lot of exercise and living down south we are regularly washing completely drenched clothes with sweat. Our machine has a "water plus" option that makes it run with using a lot more water which I find is good to dilute the sweat and get the clothes cleaner.

Thats one feature I would be aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SinkCrashBonk wrote:
Built in obslecence is definitely a thing when it comes to washers and most of them, even the supposed high end ones out there today are terrible. Used to be Speed Queen was the bomb but no longer. Look for the Maytag commercial series washer. Good review on YouTube from a dealer who doesn't even carry that line. Just did a bunch of research and bought one for my Pop.

4 yrs later, still feel the same way?

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Most washers these days try to use a minimal amount of water (high efficiency). I don't care for that, my family does a lot of exercise and living down south we are regularly washing completely drenched clothes with sweat. Our machine has a "water plus" option that makes it run with using a lot more water which I find is good to dilute the sweat and get the clothes cleaner.

Thats one feature I would be aware of.

Time for my rant... Living surrounded by the great lakes. I HATE ALL WATER CONSERVATION THINGS (have not seen one that really works) and I don't waste water, It gets pulled from one of the lakes, and returned to one (or a river that feeds one of the lakes) Times were the water getting returned was cleaner than the water coming out (not sure if this is still the case, as the lakes and rivers have gotten cleaner) But its 1 gallon in, 1 gallon out unless I drink it then sweat losses have to be accounted for. Point is I only borrow the water.

Oh and many (like the washer) use more electricity cause they run longer..

End RANT --

I know return you to your washing machine thread.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Post deleted by DavHamm [ In reply to ]
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
I would go HE with top load. We just got a new to us washer after giving up on fixing our old and moldy front load HE. Never again will I have a front loading washer. Just saw something that got my interest, a combo washer and dryer in one. Seems like a reasonable idea but who knows just more stuff to go wrong in a single unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we got another whirlpool for $699.
i read that the samsung was hard on clothes. gets them clean but ruins them slowly?

we will see how long this one lasts.

our first one was a used maytag. it was 20 years old when we got it and it lasted for years. then a top loader maytag that worked for 17 years, the whirlpool was good for 12.
i see a trend here.
Quote Reply
Re: Washer/ dryer recommendations and layout question [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

I would go HE with top load. We just got a new to us washer after giving up on fixing our old and moldy front load HE. Never again will I have a front loading washer. Just saw something that got my interest, a combo washer and dryer in one. Seems like a reasonable idea but who knows just more stuff to go wrong in a single unit.

Plus you cant dry clothes while you wash the next load so it takes more time.

We ended up with a HE agitator. GE Profile offer impeller or Agitator in all their models. Everything is the same, just does it have the agitator or a impellar/wash plate, other than that identical machines.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next