Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SC unanimous against excessive property seizures
Quote | Reply
This is a good ruling. I hope it stops the blatant police theft of property when no charges are filed too. It has always struck me as "guilty until proven innocent". I think it had the inadvertent effect of legalizing police shakedowns.

https://www.foxnews.com/...s-and-seize-property

Supreme Court curbs power of government to impose heavy fines and seize property

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled to drastically curb the powers that states and cities have to levy fines and seize property, marking the first time the court has applied the Constitution’s ban on excessive fines at the state level.
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who returned to the court for the first time in almost two months after undergoing surgery for lung cancer, wrote the majority opinion in the case involving an Indiana man who had his Land Rover seized after he was arrested for selling $385 of heroin.
“Protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history for good reason: Such fines undermine other liberties," Ginsburg wrote. “They can be used, e.g., to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. They can also be employed, not in service of penal purposes, but as a source of revenue.”

While the ruling was unanimous, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote a separate opinion outlining different reasons for reaching the same conclusion -- namely, that "the right to be free from excessive fines is one of the 'privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States' protected by the Fourteenth Amendment." Ginsburg's opinion was based on the due process clause of the same amendment.
The Supreme Court, with its ruling, sent the case of Tyson Timbs back to a lower court to decide if Indiana officials went too far in seizing Timbs’ Land Rover. Timbs, who bought the Land Rover for $42,000 in January 2013, was arrested a few months later for selling heroin and pleaded guilty.
Timbs, who was sentenced to one year of home detention and five years of probation, argues that the forfeiture of his vehicle was disproportionate to the $10,000 maximum fine he faced for selling heroin.

The high court’s ruling could now limit the ability for states and cities to carry out what critics – on both sides of the political divide – say is an increasingly common practice of imposing steep fines and seizing property.
Timbs' legal team, at the Institute for Justice, cast the decision as a blow against the practice of civil forfeiture, the legal process by which law enforcement officers are able to take assets from people suspected of involvement in a crime without necessarily charging the owners with wrongdoing.

Last edited by: Harbinger: Feb 20, 19 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great news. It bothers me that those who are supposed to protect and serve were shaking innocent people down. I wonder how long it will take for the process to stop completely, or even noticeably.
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good. I read this article recently, and it's basically how SC funds its police departments.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/...tigation/2457838002/
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Good. I read this article recently, and it's basically how SC funds its police departments.

That report is infuriating. I really hope this SC ruling stops that crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised the law wasn't changed before the ruling. I don't know anyone that thinks this is a good idea any more. It is one thing to seize the fruits of illegal activity. But seizing a truck for a hunting violation or a car because you drove through town carrying some cash or any of thousands of egregious examples is nuts.

About time, but how could Congress not get the job done years ago.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised the law wasn't changed before the ruling.

It was a big money maker. I read about a former police officer who went around the country training other police departments on how to find free money for their departments. They targeted out of state vehicles to make it more difficult to fight in court and more difficult to complain to your representative. Talk about abuse of power.

Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised the law wasn't changed before the ruling. I don't know anyone that thinks this is a good idea any more.

Do you know anyone that believes in the progressive tax policy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

That report is infuriating. I really hope this SC ruling stops that crap.

I want to say there have been some big issues in Denver with this too.
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
I'm actually surprised the law wasn't changed before the ruling. I don't know anyone that thinks this is a good idea any more.

Do you know anyone that believes in the progressive tax policy?

I like ham.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good, way past time to stop this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have time to get into the case today, but is its holding limited to property seizures, or does it also extend to ridiculous fees and charges that are heaped onto a fine? Two cases in point:

(1) Ferguson, MO, had a practice of lumping huge "administrative" penalties on top of the small fines people incurred for things like parking tickets. When people couldn't pay the exorbitant penalties, they'd be jailed. So far as I know, Ferguson stopped the practice.

(2) Here in San Diego, a traffic ticket's total cost will increase hundreds of percentage points over the actual fine because of a slew of state and local fees and charges. E.g., I received a traffic ticket several years ago. The violation carried a $100 fine, but with state and local fees and charges it became a $490 ticket, which is a number WAY out of proportion to the crime (which wasn't even a moving violation). (I fought it and the court split the baby.)

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: SC unanimous against excessive property seizures [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually the Court only rules on the case before and this involved property seizure.

Way to go RBG and SCt!!!

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Institute for Justice was the largest recipient of my charity dollars last year. Excellent bang for the buck for liberty. They are about to have their hands full with eminent domain cases as well.

Strava
Quote Reply