Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Work Ethic
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the topic of 'work ethic'. I've always had a strange pattern to my work effort and focus in that I tend to be ultra-focused for moments in time based on issues/projects/agreements that are strategically important then I just need to coast for a little bit. My entire career has been startup to acquirer, acquirer for a few years on retention agreements, back to startup. Obviously, the startup stress and focus is extreme as compared to working for a huge company post acquisition, which I find boring and slow. And I fully understand tech entrepreneurs are a strange breed.

But even in startups, I tend to follow the on/off pattern because I just cannot keep up that level of intensity for too long. Then, once the issue/project at hand is done I just relax for a week or two (working but at a very casual pace) then ramp back up. I would imagine the litigators in the LR are similar wrt trials.

I've always imagined most people approach their work effort at a consistent/measured pace, or atleast without major swings on either side. Most of the people I work with are quite steady day to day while I'm way up or down, depending. I watched my Dad's entire career in the military then in the DoD and it seemed very steady day to day, year after year.

Anyone else have an inconsistent work pattern?
Last edited by: JD21: Feb 20, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Work Ethic [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I'm curious about the topic of 'work ethic'. I've always had a strange pattern to my work effort and focus in that I tend to be ultra-focused for moments in time based on issues/projects/agreements that are strategically important then I just need to coast for a little bit. My entire career has been startup to acquirer, acquirer for a few years on retention agreements, back to startup. Obviously, the startup stress and focus is extreme as compared to working for a huge company post acquisition, which I find boring and slow. And I fully understand tech entrepreneurs are a strange breed.

But even in startups, I tend to follow the on/off pattern because I just cannot keep up that level of intensity for too long. Then, once the issue/project at hand is done I just relax for a week or two (working but at a very casual pace) then ramp back up. I would imagine the litigators in the LR are similar wrt trials.

I've always imagined most people approach their work effort at a consistent/measured pace, or atleast without major swings on either side. Most of the people I work with are quite steady day to day while I'm way up or down, depending. I watched my Dad's entire career in the military then in the DoD and it seemed very steady day to day, year after year.

I see the major swings more than consistency. In my work it's generally the fire drill of the day so I do pace a little off of that but there's very little measured pace.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a lab that has a consistent if not predictable work load.

We are a trauma center and at times we have what we call an "MTP" Massive Transfusion Protocol.
The blood bank is then on a mission to get out as many units of blood as the patient/surgeon needs. I have given out more than 100 products in an 8 hour shift. One patient needing that much blood doesn't fair well for the patient, but occasionally they do live and it's all worth it.

Having a job that has predictable times for busy/slow can be a blessing until you add in an MTP.

The job isn't for everyone and a more than a few techs have not been able to handle to flow and have been reassigned.

I'm not sure if it's ethics or necessity that gets the job done.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

I have a similar work history and a similar work pattern. I summed it up just the other day.

1.) It's very easy for me to implement things when I know exactly what I want to do and exactly how I want to do it.
2.) Once I've finish doing those things, I need some down time to begin the process of prioritizing new projects, and establishing exactly what I want to do and exactly how I want to do it for the new stuff.

This type of pattern isn't limited to the work I do myself, but also includes how I might want to delegate tasks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I developed software I always enjoyed the times when we had a deadline and a purpose rather than just maintaining software. I was more focused and less distracted.

When I am on a storm running insurance claims, I usually go hard for about 16 hours a day every day. I get paid by the claim, so it makes sense to spend my time making money rather than watching TV. However, when I get home from a storm - I need some downtime to relax. Funny thing is that it is difficult for me to just sit around and watch TV when I get back home. I may sit down for a little while but get up because I feel like I need to be doing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for a law firm and the year varies a lot.

Q1: Super busy - in the past I've had +200 hr months - and a lot of travel.
Q2: Still busy, but not crazy. One big project always in May, then a short break.
Q3: Catching up on things and start planning for the second half of the year.
Q4: Back to very busy, plus travel, though the last week of the year is usually pretty chill once we get our renewal filed.

And, I seem to do better when there is a hard deadline. When I have things that need done but they aren't urgent, then focus isn't as sharp.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 years ago I started a construction business. Only now am I finding my work flow starting to even out. Generally the pace has fluctuated between 'relentless' and 'completely unsustainable'.

Part of that was me having no idea what I was doing, from a business standpoint, when I started. Part of it was being an anxious workaholic and perfectionist.

Now inconsistent work patterns happen when I have no choice but to take a job for various reasons (it's a high profile opportunity I don't want to miss, maybe it's a bit too big of a stretch for us but not taking it would mean we are too slow, etc). I'd like to say it's an ebb and flow situation, but when we ebb there's always just a billion things to catch up on I didn't have time to do before!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in spurts. A few times last week I worked until 1am. Often times I'll start at 10am, stop at 4:30, and get a couple hours of actual work done.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply