Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Women in sport Part II: Commentators [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
So she can't be a good commentator unless she's ugly?

Gotcha!

Well that's definitely not what he said, but hey, it's 2019 so disregard what he actually wrote and let the self-righteous virtual flaying continue.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Women in sport Part II: Commentators [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it has a lot to do with what demographic they think they are hitting.

Most olympic sports seem to do fine. I hear you, though. I remember many years back one of the main NFL networks added a "weather girl" to their team. Now weather girls are notoriously good looking to begin with, but they took it a step further and picked someone with.....lets just say an intellect that wouldn't intimidate your average football fan.

Having said that, I think the NFL has learned, for the most part, that despite the average IQ of their target audience, they actually prefer knowledgable and intelligent people on the shows (i think.....I admittedly only watch a handful of games a year).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as the person sounds good and doesn't say stupid stuff...and they're actually knowledgeable we're good.

Beth Mowins has been calling Big 10 Football games for over a decade. She's always been good.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Thoughts?

So how do you rate Cate McGregor as a cricket commentator?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The BBC has quite good form for transitioning retired athletes into either sidekick commentary roles, or studio anchor/pundits doing analysis. And often those roles are filled by female former athletes. It works well, because they know their stuff and understand the stresses of performing at a high level.
Quote Reply

Prev Next