Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching from Soda to Tea
Quote | Reply
And don't call it pop!!!

I'm 45 years old and have been a soda addict pretty much my whole life. I try to kick it ever now and then, but it always comes back. Diet tastes nasty.

In this last year, however, the sugar started to mess with my health. Not in a bad way (yet) but soda would start making me feel sick. I've slowly switched to iced tea. Unsweetened doesn't taste very good, and sweet tea has just as much sugar as soda. I've finally found that I can mix just a bit of sweet tea and squirt a lemon into it and get a pretty satisfying drink with ~5g of sugar compared to the 45g in a can of soda.

Every now and then I'm in the mood for the fiz, and for that I drink flavored sparking water. It used to be disgusting, but I've gotten used to it.

So I've been soda free for ~4 months, the longest in my life. Yay me.

Side note: I'd always thought it was the caffeine that was messing me up. Turns out it was the sugar.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s pop.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely soda 😉

We drink a lot of flavored sparkling water. After a while of drinking it, soda just tastes so brutally sugary it’s hard to drink. My kids love it and take it to school for lunches, makes them feel like they are drinking soda. The Bubly brand (aside from the lemon and lime which are lightly flavored) has some spretty strongly flavored waters and lots of choices.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depending on the tea and how one drinks it - it may not be much healthier than soda. Look at the damn English they drive on wrong side of the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a sodastream and drink carbonated water.

After 6 weeks you’ll think sugary soda tastes gross.

If you need caffeine have some coffee.

If you just love drinking from a can get La Croix.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had soda. But I use to drink a lot of Pop as in a couple 2 liters a day. Went cold turkey for several years and need to start that up again.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We tried the soda stream for a while but it just never caught on. Right now I prefer Schweps, but lacroix and polar aren’t bad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It's pop. And the key to diet is just make the switch. After a couple days you won't notice the difference. It will taste normal. Then if you have a full sugar pop it seems thick and too sweet.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Feb 18, 19 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
We tried the soda stream for a while but it just never caught on. Right now I prefer Schweps, but lacroix and polar aren’t bad.

Soda is poison.

Good luck.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Soda is poison.

Agreed. With the occasional exception of Mexican Coke.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
It's pop. And the key to diet is just make the switch. After a couple days you won't notice the difference. It will taste normal. Then if you have a full sugar pop it seems thick and too sweet.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

No. It's coke. Some drink Coca Cola, some Pepsi, some 7-Up and some Dr. Pepper - but it's all coke. I don't know why people have so much problem understanding that.

But, I'll help you. You have Cervelo, Felt, Giant, Schwinn and Trek. They're all bikes. Just like all of the drinks listed above are cokes. You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obligatory:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
It’s pop.

It's all coke.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless its actually coke, then is cocola.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I used to drink a lot of diet soda per day (48 to 96 ounces). I was jittery as all get out. Quit cold turkey one day for about a year randomly but changed jobs and needed caffeine so started drinking copious amounts of unsweetened iced tea (around 128 ounces). Then I got kidney stones from drinking the tea so I quit as I alluded to in the other thread and no take my caffeine in the form of water Joe (or occasionally 4 or 5 shots of espresso)
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a ridiculous amount of anything to drink in a day. No wonder you got stones.

Did you have to pee every 5 seconds?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Soda to Tea [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That is a ridiculous amount of anything to drink in a day. No wonder you got stones.

Did you have to pee every 5 seconds?

I drink a lot of fluid. Not really, although the first pee of office day was usually pretty good
Quote Reply