Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on a Coach
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch world what say you when it comes to possibly looking for a coach? Looking for feedback and recommendations?

Teach me what you know!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on a Coach [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can probably coach yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on a Coach [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been "self coached" for several years and just looking for some more eyes and people with more knowledge to help me move forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can post videos here and get some great advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others so far here. This is my 9th season and found self coaching has worked best for me. Tried a coach once but he really didn't allow the flexibility I needed with my schedule outside of triathlon. Lots of good advice from the experienced here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of reading and setting up what looked like a great training schedule, I got a running coach. It made a huge difference. After running for years, within six months with a coach I went from being in the bottom quarter of my age group to the top quarter doing the same mileage. I look for someone that has been certified, has a good track record with other clients, creates a sense of comradely between clients, and will tailor your training as your needs change. Mine pushes drills, key speed workouts, slow pacing on most runs, and non-running flexibility/core/strength training. I am the fastest I have ever been and the longest I have gone without injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been working with Brian Stover (Desert Dude, here on Slowtwitch). Accelerate 3 is his business. He has another coach there as well, Dusty Nabor who is also well respected and knowledgeable. Nothing but good things to say about my experience with them as I head into my 3rd season under Brian's tutelage. Good luck in your search!

Scott

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’ve plateaued, and you want to keep getting better, seems like a good reason to try get a coach. A coach isn’t a guarantee, but it’s hard to get it all objectively right on your own. Sometimes, you are just too close to your own training to steer it effectively.

Reccomend reaching out to Steve Brandes, on here as “Brandes”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compatibility is key.
If you don't like your coach and they aren't happy to work with you, dead end.

Approachability.
After you either chat or email with a prospect coach, do you feel like you can question a workout or plan? Do you feel your voice will be heard, or they will jam a plan down your throat?

Definitely find someone with credentials, testimonials and even ask for referrals from past athletes. It should be pretty straight forward to fins a coach that knows the nuts and bolts of planning a calendar and workouts, but that relationship will be key.

At least, as a coach that has been what I found. Took me a minute to figure out that chemistry is 85% of the deal and if that's there, everything else can be sorted out.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on a Coach [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
I have been working with Brian Stover (Desert Dude, here on Slowtwitch). Accelerate 3 is his business. He has another coach there as well, Dusty Nabor who is also well respected and knowledgeable. Nothing but good things to say about my experience with them as I head into my 3rd season under Brian's tutelage. Good luck in your search!

Scott

I am starting my second year with Brian. Last year I exceeded my expectations of what I could do.

I don't have the time to study all the exercise science and learn about how to coach people to get the experience of a coach. I don't have the time to learn about circuits and all the code to wire my house. Hiring a professional to coach me is no different from hiring an electrician to wire my house.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on a Coach [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So appreciate all the advice! I’m definitely at a plateau level and want to get better. I’m also learning compatibility is key. I definitely need flexibility as far as schedule so that would be a big factor.

Thanks Again
Quote Reply