Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A discussion about clutched rear derailleurs
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that a clutched rear derailleur actually saves Watts? Now before you get the pitch forks I was having a discussion about this with someone who knows way more than me about friction. The thought process was the extra tension may cause a small loss but by calming any extra chain movement it could be a net zero or possibly better. Now I have been running shimanos RX 805 clutched di2 rear derailleur on a 1x setup but with my new bike I'm returning to 2x ( to hilly were I live and the races I want to do) and considering keeping the clutched derailleur. Now the RX has a switch to turn it off but if it's a net zero or possibly a small gain why not leave it turned on. Now I have tried to find any loss on the trainer but can't. Ie to small or doesn't exist.

Discuss........
Last edited by: Fishbum: Feb 17, 19 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: A discussion about clutched rear derailleurs [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a very detailed write-up on Cyclingtips on this matter.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/do-clutch-rear-derailleurs-add-drivetrain-friction/

Have fun! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thought. I guess along with chain movement you are not taking into account aerodynamics as well, certainly a chain that bounces less must be more aero. There are probably a myriad of things that could affect the outcome that no one has tried to quantify as well. Regardless I wouldn't hesitate to run a clutched RD if only for a little bit extra peace of mind.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one of the most recent velonews podcasts with friction facts/ceramic speed guy.

Do clutched rear mechs cost watts? "Absolutely not"

case closed! Now whether they save is another matter!
Quote Reply