Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself
Quote | Reply
Skiing

I took her up a drag / button lift three times on a nursery slope. So, very gentle but......

Her teachers said she can do it herself and she said she wanted to so she got on it, surpisied the lift attendent and I followed, two buttons later

So she gets to the top, grabs pole, moves legs apart and let's go....... All good....

And then she turned downhill and starts going straight, no snow plough, just straight

I dump the loft, and try to intercept her, my brother misses her and she hits the first lot of safety netting, flips over it in to the second.......

It was unbelievable, although it ws short, she picked up so much speed........

It was like she got clotheslined

Unbelievable. She got a hell of a shock but has come round and says she doesn't want to talk about her accident
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The next Lindsey Vonn!
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to get her back on skis asap...I have vivid memories of similar incidents with my daughter when we was just staring (now 20).

Edit to add, if she got hurt I understand it may not be the right thing for her to ski the next day.
Last edited by: blueraider_mike: Feb 17, 19 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a really rough ski slope. Any of the kids ones here are basically flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad she's ok.

Was she wearing a helmet?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legend is that I started the same way into a chain link fence. Now I live in Colorado mainly for the skiing.

When my daughter was that age I screamed Turn or we are going strainght back to the lodge more times that I can count.

At 9 she can out ski me on double blacks. It’s a weird feeling when your kiddo schools you down hole in the wall.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Feb 17, 19 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter used to go straight down. She got over that and isn't nearly as fast as she used to be

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you watched your kid having fun and wiping out like kids do.

My first time down the ski hill, I ended up going through the parking lot and crashing into the side of car. Safety netting, LOL

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Feb 17, 19 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tethers. And don't let her off until she proves she has speed control.

Or don't watch and pray for the best. Kids are pretty resilient.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
- Jeff

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I see a lot of these on Utah ski slopes.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
jkstevens wrote:
- Jeff

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I see a lot of these on Utah ski slopes.
We use tethers all the time (I volunteer for an Adaptive sports program), for everything from actively creating a turn shape with them to simply as a back-up speed control.

Quite frankly, if someone is on the slope that simply will/does not show that they have control, you need to do something, not just to protect them but to protect everyone else on the slope. It's just proper etiquette.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She had tethers. The problem was that she was in the lift in front and did not stop.........

Anyway. Back at it today........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck!! Skiing with tiny kids can at times be terrifying. If I could find it, I’d post the video of my then 4 year old skiing perfectly down the slope, and at his last turn slamming into a pole (a permanently placed metal pole with a pad on it) right at the lift line. He was fine, but sometimes they just crash. (And he could control his speed and turn, just turned at the exact wrong time).

My now 4 year old is riding the big lifts and the instructor told us we need to work on him not trying to lean forward on the chairlift. That’s terrifying!! It’s bad enough they needed to talk to us about it - Grandpa is coming tomorrow and we will be working with him the rest of the week on chairlift safety more than anything before next weeks lesson. Kids!!!

Have fun - before you know it they are 9 and telling you about the 10 ft cliff they daffied off of or the chest deep powder they hit on the XX rope drop in the Extremes!😂😂

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
She had tethers. The problem was that she was in the lift in front and did not stop.........

Anyway. Back at it today........
Ah, yes... I need tethers for my reading comprehension, apparently...

If kids wanna get away, there isn't much you can do other than never let 'em off a leash or leave 'em home. And neither is a good option.

Good luck with that one!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've an acquaintance who's five year old has done the valle blanche

I am pretty sure my 5 year old could now ski it, it's the distance that would wipe her out. The five year olds skiing red / blacks........

Ski club next season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 7 year old almost started crying when I said he should try skiing.

So there's that.
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he'd rather mountain bike down those slopes instead!
Quote Reply
Re: I watched my three year nearly seriously harm herself [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Perhaps he'd rather mountain bike down those slopes instead!

HA! He's very risk-averse. The two year old is going to "out-sport" him for sure. Luckily, he's also not the kind of kid who would care about that - he'd just want to cheer his brother on.
Quote Reply