Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
mattr wrote:
I get what you are saying. Do you mean tone deaf looking at it from the blackface angle or the man with face mask “girly/gay” angle?

Either way I think it’s people being too sensitive and reading into things when they aren’t there. Seems like no one thinks of intent or context anymore before they make accusations.

He just says tone deaf without any support, probably because his position is indefensible when a scintilla of analysis is applied and he's chosen to die in this hill.

I'm just curious. What hill do you think I'm trying to die on here.

Do you think I believe these kids were being racist in what they were doing?

No I think you're being a prig with this tone deaf nonsense.

got it. Opinions vary

So what did the kids do wrong exactly. You still haven't said.

they didn't consider the fact that not everyone would interpret what they were doing as they had intended. They thought they were making a joke. Others interpreted that they had created a picture of a player on the other team wearing black face. It became a national story that we are talking about.

Perhaps your definition of that is "wrong".

My definition of that is "tone deaf" relative to what is going on in our country at the current moment.

I have also stated that, considering it is a national story that we are talking about, all parties involved thus far have handled it in a manner so as not to make the situation worse. Or other than what was intended

The only people who are wrong are the asshats who thought they created a blackface picture and their enablers and defenders. You're operating, erroneously, from the position of the kids were wrong whereas you should be operating from the position of those condemning and/or jumping illogical conclusions are wrong.

I'm operating from a position that, by definition, these kids didn't consider how this would be interpreted.

I believe the asshats are those who are specifically accusing them of what you say above and their enablers and defenders.

I believe, unless these kids intended to get into the controversy that exists, they were tone deaf relative to the picture they chose to use vs. the dozens of other creative things they could have done that would have not only had the effect that was intended but who's explanation would not be needed.
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
mattr wrote:
I get what you are saying. Do you mean tone deaf looking at it from the blackface angle or the man with face mask “girly/gay” angle?

Either way I think it’s people being too sensitive and reading into things when they aren’t there. Seems like no one thinks of intent or context anymore before they make accusations.

He just says tone deaf without any support, probably because his position is indefensible when a scintilla of analysis is applied and he's chosen to die in this hill.

got it. Opinions vary

To quote one of my profs...

Just because you have an opinion does not make it valid.

I couldn't agree more. Despite what an ass you are being I will continue to consider your opinion on this matter valid

I didn't tell you to go fuck yourself

I am aware of that. If you had we would still be good from my side. And I'd still send my poo water your way.

I beleive a current map disproved that
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
mattr wrote:

got it. Opinions vary

I couldn't agree more. Despite what an ass you are being I will continue to consider your opinion on this matter valid

I am aware of that. If you had we would still be good from my side. And I'd still send my poo water your way.

I’ll let you and JSA hammer that out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
windywave wrote:
mattr wrote:

got it. Opinions vary

Nope. Straight from Milwaukee directly to Chicago. Enjoy!

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/currents/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Its only a matter of time before white people posting the word 'B***face' online becomes deemed racist...

OMG.
too late.
you is

I'm a 40-something white male so I'm racist by definition (or so I'm told).
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Right. In other words, people looking to see something offensive can make a case that it's offensive even though it isn't inherently offensive, or racist, and wasn't intended as racist, so it's best not to give them any ammunition whatsoever.

I'd tell them the very same thing.

This seems like part of the reason the current President got in. People are getting sick and tired of all the unjustified accusations of racism, sexism etc. Having someone loud enough and powerful enough to call out BS when they see it is somewhat therapeutic. Not in anyway excusing the reverse, just pointing out the potential backlash to all this PC nonsense.

I went to a game of our local National Basketball leaugue on Friday. There were giant cut outs of other people’s (celebrity) heads behind the net. Attempted distraction. The only reason they aren’t of individual players is because there’s too many visiting teams and no one standout to put off their game.

Even claiming ‘tone-deaf’ is ridiculous. They grabbed what they saw as an embarrassing pic of him. Would the same discussion be had if it was a pic of the guy in a dress/ speedos/chicken suit? It’s a vocal minority imposing their perpetually offended mindsets on a new generation. Nothing more.
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

This seems like part of the reason the current President got in. People are getting sick and tired of all the unjustified accusations of racism, sexism etc. Having someone loud enough and powerful enough to call out BS when they see it is somewhat therapeutic. Not in anyway excusing the reverse, just pointing out the potential backlash to all this PC nonsense.

I went to a game of our local National Basketball leaugue on Friday. There were giant cut outs of other people’s (celebrity) heads behind the net. Attempted distraction. The only reason they aren’t of individual players is because there’s too many visiting teams and no one standout to put off their game.

Even claiming ‘tone-deaf’ is ridiculous. They grabbed what they saw as an embarrassing pic of him. Would the same discussion be had if it was a pic of the guy in a dress/ speedos/chicken suit? It’s a vocal minority imposing their perpetually offended mindsets on a new generation. Nothing more.
More than that (and more harmful): people seeing race in everything said or done. These kids didn't hold up the pictures with any intent beyond a distraction for a star opponent, but they're being castigated around the country as racist assholes. How fucked up is that?
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re probably over this thread, but I only just had the chance to read from the start.

I’ve seen you continuously state that you agree with pretty much everything here. Where I believe you’re going wrong (or pretty much not agreeing with anything!) is your repeated reference to ‘tone-deaf’. Only those who think there is any semblance of validity to the ‘blackface’ accusation would even use the expression. To claim the kids were tone deaf gives oxygen to the idiocy.

There can’t be any middle ground on this sort of topic. The kids are either racist or those making the accusation need to be flogged. I’m in camp flogging (which doesn’t sound right!)..
Quote Reply
Re: White People Holding a Picture of a Black Person in "Blackface" (?) is Racist [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://fox6now.com/...ete-seen-on-posters/

local story. At the risk of being told to fuck myself.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just to give this another local bump.

The Port Washington team (the one with the student fans who displayed the signs) are on a bit of a cinderalla run

As a 7 seed in their regional they beat the 10 seed. Then the 2 seed. then the 3 seed

which sets up a sectional semifinal match.....at their home gym (which was assumed was going to be a "neutral" court)…… against the #1 seed Nicolet team with the player in the spotlight of the story.

Things have pretty much died down locally but this will stir it up again. The chances of all these things happening were pretty slim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The student's letter was a nice gesture and conveyed the correct sentiment, that the focus should be on supporting their own team rather than trying to compromise their opponent. It was exactly the right tack, recognize how they should do better without feeding the fire of racism speculation.

The letter from the school administration, on the other hand...disappointing. There ought to be at least a shred of evidence of racist intent before they give that malicious interpretation any oxygen whatsoever.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next