Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Google Chromecast: resolved
Quote | Reply
The Google tech is telling me that the device has to be within 15-20' of my router to work. How many houses don't have every TV within 15-20' of their router? Neither of my TVs are that close.

Can't get the thing to connect to the router. Sounds like a deal-breaker.

Resolution: wife came home and talked me down from the ledge. Looked through the router settings and we found one value that we changed, and everything worked. No distance issue. It'll be nice to be able to control the video from the iPad wherever we are sitting, rather than going to the TV where the iPad used to be.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Feb 15, 19 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
The Google tech is telling me that the device has to be within 15-20' of my router to work. How many houses don't have every TV within 15-20' of their router? Neither of my TVs are that close.
Can't get the thing to connect to the router. Sounds like a deal-breaker.

Weird. My chromecast is at least 30' and one floor up from my 10 year old router. Though I don't use it much anymore.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems a bit useless. I used Chromecast for a short while about 5 years ago, pretty sure I was further away than 20', probably 40' minimum, and it seemed to work just fine.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of my TVs are probably within 15-20' of the router. One in the next room, one in the room directly above the room with the router.

I have nothing to add other than try Roku.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Both of my TVs are probably within 15-20' of the router. One in the next room, one in the room directly above the room with the router.

The tech person you are talking to is wrong. If your phone can connect via wifi to your router, so can chromecast. I have several throughout my house on multiple floors and quite a ways away. It is no different than any other device in your home.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
BLeP wrote:

The tech person you are talking to is wrong. If your phone can connect via wifi to your router, so can chromecast. I have several throughout my house on multiple floors and quite a ways away. It is no different than any other device in your home.

The person you are talking to doesn't need to talk to tech people.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yeah, I figured that would kill the marketability of the device. The FiOS router I have apparently isn't on their works-out-of-the-box list, and I can't find the settings they recommend on my router settings web page. Very frustrating.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hook it up to a tv close to your router, set it up, then move it?

I have no problems. My furthest is between 10 and 25' from the router with a closet and two wood framed walls in the way and I have no problems, so I can't help. I also use a 12 month old pricey AC1750 router.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
hook it up to a tv close to your router, set it up, then move it?

I have no problems. My furthest is between 10 and 25' from the router with a closet and two wood framed walls in the way and I have no problems, so I can't help. I also use a 12 month old pricey AC1750 router.

I'm sure it is an issue with the router settings. Ain't got time for that now.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used chromecast for a little. I think it would have been great in an APT set up where I was switching between TV/tablet situation. Outside of that I couldnt really think of when I would want one instead of a ROKU.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Chromecast [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I used chromecast for a little. I think it would have been great in an APT set up where I was switching between TV/tablet situation. Outside of that I couldnt really think of when I would want one instead of a ROKU.

I just want to stream ESPN+ from my iPad to my TV. But ESPN+ doesn't support mirroring (why the F not?) like Netflix, etc., but they support Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

I just want to stream ESPN+ from my iPad to my TV. But ESPN+ doesn't support mirroring (why the F not?) like Netflix, etc., but they support Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.

Something that you all may not know about, but through chromecast, I can turn on and off my tv via my google home.

When I go to workout, I say, "hey google shut up legs." It turns on my music, lights, tv, computer and fan. Computer starts zwift at startup. All I have to do is put on my shoes while everything starts up and start riding. So in my workout room chromecast is just to turn on and off my tv. Upstairs in our main room, my daughter likes to cast disney now from her tablet. :)

Only negative is I have to switch from chromecast to computer HDMI setting when I start riding. Haven't figure that out yet.
Quote Reply