Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans
Quote | Reply
Did some quick searching and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Signed up for an iron distance race last year and couldn't end up doing it so deferred to this summer and despite life becoming the more important thing to focus on over the last 6 weeks (and losing a lot of fitness) I'm going to see if I can get ready for the race on 8/18/2019. I really don't want this to consume my life as I'm trying to get my priorities right and stop having triathlon dominate my life, so a low volume plan seems like the best way to balance training with life. (Going back to sprint/oly after this).

Has anyone used TR's low volume base/build/specialty plans? What are your experiences? Did it just get you to the finish line or do you feel like it allowed you to improve (if you'd previously done a full)?

I'd like to have a more structured plan on the bike so I can maximize training time and not waste my time on the bike doing junk miles. I would use their run workouts as a guideline and adjust to fit me. I'd also plan on moving Sunday's generally long run to probably Monday so I can keep Sunday free for time with my wife.

Background...31yo, been racing/training since 2009 and probably done 30-35 races, including 1 IM and 4 HIM. Went 15:18 at IMMT in 2014 and would love to be faster than that, but at this point, I'll take finishing this race without killing myself.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
I'll take finishing this race without killing myself.

Following a TR plan to the letter will probably get you to the finish.

TR's "low volume" full iron is still a bit of a commitment. I know some weeks have four workouts. I forget the hours/week though.

I did the half-iron low volume as a first-time half iron participant and I found the plan quite difficult. This was after doing a few years of sprints and olys.

If you're going into this as a "participant," which is totally fine, then let go of your time goal. It'll free you up mentally.

Start *now* with Sweet Spot base and get going. Then move into the build and specialty.
Last edited by: reefblastbody: Feb 15, 19 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing the same race, and using this same plan, but this will be my first IM, so I'm definitely interested in any experience people have. I've gone through one base 12wk block already, and was pretty happy with the structured bike workouts, but it does seem like the "specialty" plan doesn't include the long rides I would expect leading up to a full IM.

Low volume for me means I can only fit in 9ish workouts a week, but I still plan to make one of those a 5-6hour ride every other week in the final 8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reefblastbody wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
I'll take finishing this race without killing myself.

TR's "low volume" full iron is still a bit of a commitment. I know some weeks have four workouts. I forget the hours/week though.

I did the half-iron low volume as a first-time half iron participant and I found the plan quite difficult. This was after doing a few years of sprints and olys.

If you're going into this as a "participant," which is totally fine, then let go of your time goal. It'll free you up mentally.

Start *now* with Sweet Spot base and get going. Then move into the build and specialty.

I'm definitely not going in with a time goal. It would be great to beat 15:18 but I won't be holding myself to it at all. Doesn't look like the cycling ever gets above 6.5hr until the specialty phase and running doesn't ever seem to be much more than 3 hours, which I think is the right amount for me, right around 9-10 hours.

In what ways did you find it difficult? Sticking to the plan, or the workouts themselves were too hard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used TR low volume for my last IM race. I had, for me, a great ride on race day and if I was to do another IM I would likely use their low volume training plan again. I would say with the low volume it is even more important not to miss a bike workout.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:
Doing the same race, and using this same plan, but this will be my first IM, so I'm definitely interested in any experience people have. I've gone through one base 12wk block already, and was pretty happy with the structured bike workouts, but it does seem like the "specialty" plan doesn't include the long rides I would expect leading up to a full IM.

Low volume for me means I can only fit in 9ish workouts a week, but I still plan to make one of those a 5-6hour ride every other week in the final 8 weeks.

I'm definitely trying to stay away from those 5-6 hour rides. I'll try to get one in for sure and maybe shoot for a second but I'd rather do 3-4 hour rides with some efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
In what ways did you find it difficult?

I wasn't quite prepared, fitness-wise, to handle the plan. Hadn't done a base or build beforehand. My trainer wasn't any good in terms of quality. I think my FTP was set a little too high. All this meant that my legs burned up after four weeks. Always tired. Affected the running. Total mess.
Last edited by: reefblastbody: Feb 15, 19 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the low volume TR plan for my first IM last year and finished in 11:23 with gas in the tank. I followed it pretty close to the letter. May have skipped some swims on the run/swim combo days with no time to get to the pool and get both workouts in. In my opinion, it's plenty of volume and will do you fine for your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re just looking to finish, why not just walk the run and spend all your time swimming and biking?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rossguy wrote:
I used the low volume TR plan for my first IM last year and finished in 11:23 with gas in the tank. I followed it pretty close to the letter. May have skipped some swims on the run/swim combo days with no time to get to the pool and get both workouts in. In my opinion, it's plenty of volume and will do you fine for your race.

Thanks for the insight. What's your background? Fast previous HIMs? Come from a single sport background?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
If you’re just looking to finish, why not just walk the run and spend all your time swimming and biking?

I walked most of the run last time! Would love to be able to run more of it but will probably do a run/walk combo to get through it. I actually plan on swimming as little as possible just enough to get me through the swim easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I come from a team sports background (hockey and lacrosse) with some mountain biking thrown in. My first 70.3 was in 2016. Followed the TR low volume half distance plan and finished in 5:47. Did the 140.6 in April of 2018 and finished in 11:23. Then I raced another 70.3 in September of 2018 and finished in 4:55. All following the TR low volume plans. Im 31 as well.
Last edited by: Rossguy: Feb 18, 19 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reefblastbody wrote:

That doesn't give it enough credit. I think the TR plans can be very effective.

My anecdote: between Nov 2014 and Nov 2017 I did 12 IMs gradually dropping my PR from 12:45 to 10:35. Then in Jan 2018 I got a smart trainer, signed up for TR, and did every workout to the letter, as you say. FTP went from 209 W to 290+ W in just 11 months and I set a 9:45 PR at 190 lbs body weight. Even my running has improved significantly, with two 3:12 IM run splits. I'm still making significant gains on TR as I'm repeating the mid-volume plan right now. 7:05 running pace feels like 7:30 did last season and my last FTP test in December pegged me at 300 W. If someone would have made this prediction for me a year ago I would have laughed.

Granted, it was mid-volume version, but I will switch to low volume when I start a new job later this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reefblastbody wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
In what ways did you find it difficult?

I wasn't quite prepared, fitness-wise, to handle the plan. Hadn't done a base or build beforehand. My trainer wasn't any good in terms of quality. I think my FTP was set a little too high. All this meant that my legs burned up after four weeks. Always tired. Affected the running. Total mess.
You went right into a speciality plan? That is only intended to be the icing on the cake after base and build.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I wasn't ice cold. I'd trained for and done and sprint and Olympic earlier that year. But in terms of following a plan, yes, I went straight into specialty. Agreed that it isn't recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used TR's low volume base/build/specialty plan last season for my first full IM. I was very happy with the plan and the fitness I had for race day. I did the majority of my weekend long rides outside instead of on the trainer over the summer (race was in October), but generally tried to match the duration of time and effort of the scheduled TR session. I know TR modified their plans recently, so I'm not sure what changes they made to the low volume IM plan. I was recently doing the low volume HIM plan (build) and there is a ton of over/under stuff which is rough.

One thing to consider working into your training is the Galloway method for running. I did that which included 4 min running then 1 min walking repeated continuously. I used that for all my long runs the last few months of training and did that for the race as well. It really breaks up the run and keeps you fresh. I set up an alert on my garmin that would notify me every time I needed to switch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the TR mid plan for Placid last year. There are several long rides of 5.5+ hours and these are done in erg mode if you have a smart trainer (no coasting, stopping to refill bottles,etc). I found them to be plenty effective.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Low volume for me means I can only fit in 9ish workouts a week, but I still plan to make one of those a 5-6hour ride every other week in the final 8 weeks. "
----------------------------
This is low volume? That is more than my high volume.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Low Volume Trainer Road plan increases from ~8 to 15 hours per week over the course of the base/build/specific plans. So like others have said, 15 hours is still a pretty serious commitment, and this plan is more than just a "get me to the finish" if you follow it faithfully. But it's still low volume compared to plans that top out at 18-20 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rossguy wrote:
I come from a team sports background (hockey and lacrosse) with some mountain biking thrown in. My first 70.3 was in 2016. Followed the TR low volume half distance plan and finished in 5:47. Did the 140.6 in April of 2018 and finished in 11:23. Then I raced another 70.3 in September of 2018 and finished in 4:55. All following the TR low volume plans. Im 31 as well.

Thanks! That makes me feel better as I come from a soccer and lacrosse background. Although I was a goalie in both so did a lot of standing around haha!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
reefblastbody wrote:

That doesn't give it enough credit. I think the TR plans can be very effective.

My anecdote: between Nov 2014 and Nov 2017 I did 12 IMs gradually dropping my PR from 12:45 to 10:35. Then in Jan 2018 I got a smart trainer, signed up for TR, and did every workout to the letter, as you say. FTP went from 209 W to 290+ W in just 11 months and I set a 9:45 PR at 190 lbs body weight. Even my running has improved significantly, with two 3:12 IM run splits. I'm still making significant gains on TR as I'm repeating the mid-volume plan right now. 7:05 running pace feels like 7:30 did last season and my last FTP test in December pegged me at 300 W. If someone would have made this prediction for me a year ago I would have laughed.

Granted, it was mid-volume version, but I will switch to low volume when I start a new job later this year.

Wow! That's incredible progression. I'm going to remember this and hope I can see some strong improvements by following their plan.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Low Volume IM Plans [jb27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jb27 wrote:
I used TR's low volume base/build/specialty plan last season for my first full IM. I was very happy with the plan and the fitness I had for race day. I did the majority of my weekend long rides outside instead of on the trainer over the summer (race was in October), but generally tried to match the duration of time and effort of the scheduled TR session. I know TR modified their plans recently, so I'm not sure what changes they made to the low volume IM plan. I was recently doing the low volume HIM plan (build) and there is a ton of over/under stuff which is rough.

One thing to consider working into your training is the Galloway method for running. I did that which included 4 min running then 1 min walking repeated continuously. I used that for all my long runs the last few months of training and did that for the race as well. It really breaks up the run and keeps you fresh. I set up an alert on my garmin that would notify me every time I needed to switch.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Once weather gets warm and after I finish the base plan, I'll try and do most of my long weekend rides outside also.

I will definitely look into the Galloway. I've never heard of it but I was planning on doing a 4:1 ratio for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacrosse goalie.... You are a crazy man. No wonder you got into Triathlon!
Last edited by: Rossguy: Feb 19, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rossguy wrote:
Lacrosse goalie.... You are a crazy man. No wonder you got into Triathlon!

I was thinking the same thing as I was writing it! To be honest, I do actually think there is a bit of a correlation. I didn't always mind getting hit with shots...I even liked it some times. Definitely some masochism in both fields.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing the same program. Full - Low Volume, and if I feel like its not enough i will add in another workout here and there. The low volume also gives me some freedom to still play Hockey and XC ski. I rather add workouts then have to take them away, if that makes any sense.

I have done two IM both using the Low Volume plan, First one was IMMT and it didn't go very well, but looking back i missed a fair amount of the workouts. Second one was IMUK while i did more then before and felt way stronger that course kicked the crap out of me.

Background, Hockey player, always been over weight, both races i have been around 205lbs at 5'10". This year IMMT i hope to be in the 190's but that's a far ways away after taking a year off and getting fat.
Quote Reply