Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia
Quote | Reply
I will be going to Singapore on a business trip first week of April, and wanting to take a week after that for vacation in the region.

Any ideas of countries/places to go out of Singapore?

I've already been to Thailand, so that's not on the list for this trip.

I generally like to sight-see and do all things outdoors (hiking, exploring, etc..). Not as much into staying at big resorts, but not totally opposed to it. Also looking at not spending a lot of $$, I'm pretty easy and low maintenance while travelling.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to plan this, as I need to book my travel in the next week, so looking to kick-start my options/ideas.

I initially had in my mind to jump up to Vietnam and/or Cambodia, but know absolutely nothing about visiting there or where/what to do.

Open to any and all ideas within the region.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know an American ex-pat couple that lived in Hanoi for 5 years and are 2 years into a stretch in Hong Kong. They speak highly of both places, but I've never been to either.

I spent a week or so in Cambodia way back when. I'm glad I saw it but not sure I'd recommend it, other than Angkor Wat complex. However, I was there almost 20 years ago and my understanding is that the country (or at least Phnom Penh) has changed a lot since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have great memories of both Singapore and Hong Kong. Enjoy your travels for me.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed both Cambodia and Vietnam. Personally out of the 2 I would go back to Cambodia. (But then I have been to Vietnam so many times I’m kind of Vietnammed out)
We really enjoyed Angkor Wat. We spent several days exploring most of the Temples. We went many years ago, so I don’t know crowded it has become. We hired a guy on a moto to take us around while in Siem Reap. I just read a blog about a guy who rented an electric bike to get around the Temple
http://www.greene-bike.com/
We enjoyed having a cold beer and watching the world and river go go by from the terrace at the Foreign Correspondants Club in Phnom Penh. I think it gotten a bit trendy though.
To get you started https://www.lonelyplanet.com/...-5142bd7c8f85/355852
Last edited by: travelgirl: Feb 15, 19 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Singapore is a great destination on its own (Disclaimer: I did several stints as an ex-pat there).
Obviously its more of a urban (though very green) destination. If you like to do physically active stuff, go to East Coast Park, rent a bike (or jog if you are hardcore and can handle the heat) and ride along the coast trails up to Changi Beach Park. Then come back and have a satay lunch at the hawker centre near the start.
There is some OK hiking at Bukit Timah nature reserve & reservoir. The Botanical gardens make for a nice walk.

2. Malaysia is right next door. My favourite part is Penang Island (it was home for many years). Penang is 45min flight north and under $100 USD. Penang has a cool old town, nice mix of modern and developing areas. My favorite part is hiking jungle trails around Penang Hill. ( https://www.strava.com/activities/812731153 ). I've come across all sorts of wildlife - from Monkeys (Long Tailed Macaques & Dusky Leaf Eaters), snakes (pythons, cobras), water monitors, and birds. I'm going back for a month this July and will be doing loads of these hikes with my teen kids.
Penang also has some resorts & beaches - though nothing as pristine and clear turquoise water as Thailand.

3. East Malaysia on the island of Borneo. A short flight from Singapore. The hike / climb of Mt. Kinabalu's 4,095 m (13,435 ft) peak is a treat. There are Orangutans in the jungles nearby.

4. Indonesia is near. Bali is not too far. There is a reason why half of Australia seems to holiday there. Its gorgeous. It's where Thanos retired to at the end of the last film.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could swing by Cambodia but Angkor Wat is a zoo and so is the coastal town of Sihanoukville. For Vietnam I'd recommend staying in Hanoi for the week or go to Laos where it's a little more quiet. If you want to go a little further then Yangon or Bagan in Myanmar are both pretty cool places to see. All are fairly inexpensive compared to European standards...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the table but go up to Malaysia (and Borneo) and forget about the other countries mentioned here.

Quote | Reply
suggestion: whatever you do, end with a day or two in kuala lumpur: cheapest 5-star hotels on earth. get a really nice room at the majestic, relax, and wash off the SE asia grit.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Late to the table but go up to Malaysia (and Borneo) and forget about the other countries mentioned here.

I've been to every country in SE Asia and each has something unique to offer. Why would you forget all except Malaysia and Borneo?

Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I've been to every country in SE Asia and each has something unique to offer. Why would you forget all except Malaysia and Borneo?

Proximity and time.

Quote | Reply
Two more ideas for things to do near Singapore:

1. Taman Negara, Malaysia (a.k.a. National Forest Park) - its "one of the world's oldest deciduous rainforest, estimated to be more than 130 million years old". True equatorial SE Asian rain-forest. Apparently there are still wild Malayian tigers and Elephants in the forest (deep in the jungle). The canopy walk is a popular attraction, as are a slew of other 'eco-tourism' options.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/...nal_Park-Pahang.html

2. Tioman Island, Malaysia: A nice resort island. I've never been there but friends and colleagues say its good. Personally I'd just go to Koh Phi Phi or some other Thai island if I was after a beach experience.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/...ahang-Vacations.html

3. Cameron Highlands, Malaysia - a welcome respite from the heat and humidity of S'pore and sea-level SE Asia. This hilly/mountainous region its around 1,600 mASL . The tea plantations are a nice visit. Some good hiking options.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/...ighlands_Pahang.html

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Proximity and time.

Thanks all for ideas. I've been researching what might be reasonable.

I like the idea of spending the week in Borneo doing hikes and sight seeing, but everything seems so controlled and nature access a bit like Disneyland.

I've sort of narrowed down to just do the entire week in Myanmar (Burma). I guess I was attracted to it being a lot less developed (tourism-wise) and thought I might like to see it before it gets any "worse". It would be a lot grittier trip than the other destinations and probably not anywhere near as good of food as other countries (so I hear).

I wanted to see another country or so, but logistics were just too pinched and time-consuming travelling in SE Asia.

Keeping it in Malaysia would be the easiest thing to do, but have not really looked that hard at a Malay agenda/itinerary or focused on what areas might suite my style there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We went to Myanmar a few years ago ... logistically not the easiest place to get around and you will only be able to visit a limited number of areas. We actually loved the food - they’ve got a very sour and bitter palette- not too many sweets around (except some sweet shops). Do you know where you’re planning to go? Also be aware that everyone gets VERY sick ... most likely due to the diff bacteria, so make sure you bring some antibiotics. The old trains and boat up the Irrawaddy were a couple of highlights of our trip.

I’ve travelled to most of the countries around SE Asia and would’ve otherwise recommended Vietnam for outdoor activities (esp caving) and food - probably some of the most amazing and fresh we’ve ever had. As someone has already mentioned, Bali is stunning - its landscape, culture and food. We’ve done some really affordable and excellent diving and as long as you stay out of Kuta and Ubud, you’re sweet. Malaysia has amazing food, loved old Penang - lots of hiking opportunities all over the country. I could go on as SE Asia is an amazing region to travel in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spent a week or so in burma a few years back and had a fantastic time - you're in for a treat. take high tea at raffles and make sure to visit bagan. mandalay was a bit of a let down, but rangoon was great - i could have spent a whole day at shwedagon paya.

enjoy!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To follow up, I ended up spending the entire time in Myanmar. Took buses and trains around and visited Yangon, Bagan, Hsipaw, and Mandalay. Had a great time and the people were wonderful, happy, friendly, engaging. Saw relatively few westerners (besides Bagan which is a tourist destination), and no one from the USA. It helped I went in the off season I guess.

Quote Reply
Re: Vacation Suggestions - SE Asia [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
suggestion: whatever you do, end with a day or two in kuala lumpur: cheapest 5-star hotels on earth. get a really nice room at the majestic, relax, and wash off the SE asia grit.

Also, make sure to go to the swanky roof top bars of said hotels in your pj's.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indonesia, laos, or Philippines.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply