Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation
Quote | Reply
On a whim I watched the first episode. Got hooked. Its beautifully done - clever, funny, dark, intelligent, touching... disturbing.
Great performances - especially from Natasha Lyonne - the externally brassy and barsh New Yorker, who also injects a beautiful existentialist angst and razor sharp mind into the role.
Many interesting concepts and themes - from "dying is easy, its living that's hard", to echoes of Sliding Doors (1998), to redemption and second chances.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just binge watched the whole season. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch it! It looks like it will be a 3 season show. It will be interesting to see what happens in season 2
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
On a whim I watched the first episode. Got hooked. Its beautifully done - clever, funny, dark, intelligent, touching... disturbing.
Great performances - especially from Natasha Lyonne - the externally brassy and barsh New Yorker, who also injects a beautiful existentialist angst and razor sharp mind into the role.
Many interesting concepts and themes - from "dying is easy, its living that's hard", to echoes of Sliding Doors (1998), to redemption and second chances.

Got hooked last week and binged it. Really good. Like a modern version of Groundhog Day.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes you say it's going to be a three season show?
I'm not sure how I feel about another season. Its not a concept that will work if replicated.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good, entertaining, and not a huge time commitment, only about four hours for the entire season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about another season. Its not a concept that will work if replicated.

Not replicated, per se

I'm guessing Season tow will be "So, how did this happen, anyway?" and Season Three will be "How do we fix it?" or "How can we use this to our advantage; either for a) person gain or b) the greater good?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://variety.com/...-reality-1203159796/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

I read an article saying it would be a 3 season show. Now when I google it, it says it was plotted out and pitched to Netflix as a 3 season show. I’m guessing they didn’t realize it would be such a big hit and want to now keep their options open. I have a hard time believing they can keep it going for more than 2 or 3 seasons before the story line and the characters no longer work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pseudo review?

I think there was some bit on some morning radio show where some guy had a segment giving very opinionated reviews of movies that he hadn't seen.

Your review wasn't that, so I might watch.

Edit:

http://www.reviewsofmoviesihaventseen.com/
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Mar 11, 19 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The show is getting rave reviews, but I found it to be pretty meh. I thought the ended was a big let down.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished season 1 and started 2, so far I like the time loop(season 1) and time travel(season 2) aspects of the show. A sci fi feel with your standard relationship plot twists. Will finish off season 2 this week, and then have to think about what a season 3 would look like.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Doll on Netflix: A pseudo-review and recommendation [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recent New Yorker magazine article about Natasha is critical to understanding this show, IMO. https://www.newyorker.com/...arrels-into-the-past
Quote Reply