Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

unfriending somebody on facebook?
Quote | Reply
I just did up a facebook page about a month ago. I was on 12 yrs ago for a short time but took myself off. My main purpose now is just to try to contact people who I haven't seen for awhile.

So this guy who I knew a little bit sends me a friend request which I accept. Always thought he was an OK guy for the little I knew him until I go on his page and WTF - he posts ten times a day, all extreme right wing hate stuff. He posted a really hateful "ban all Muslim" immigration post just yesterday and everything he posts has some sort of intolerant hate message. He has a bunch of followers cheering him on. If people come on my page and click on his page under my "friends" section, I'm afraid they might think I'm some how associated with his views.

I've never unfriended anybody before on facebook so I'm just wondering if you just slip off in a subtle manner that he might not notice or will he get a "you've been unfriended" notification. If its #2 then I feel he should get an explanation from me why he's getting the boot. If I can just slip off quietly I won't bother. Either way I've got to get him off my page. Just wondering how it works.
Quote Reply
Re: unfriending somebody on facebook? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can unfollow people. That way you don't see their shit anymore, but you're not unfriended. Just click the "Following" button on that person's page. I do this for some people who are genuinely friends in real life, but are super annoying on social media.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 13, 19 20:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, easiest way is to unfollow. That way you can still snoop on his page to see how much of a whack job he is.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfollow is the way to go, unless he's constantly replying to your posts.

FB won't send a notification saying that you've unfriended them, but people eventually figure it out.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started on FB the first friend request I got was from a girl I sort of knew in High School but was never friends with or anything. So I accepted it. She was now living in Mississippi and a full on racist. Confederate flag avatar, and posts ranting and raving about the n!gger in office, etc. So I immediately unfriended her.

Then the funny thing is a few years later she friend requested me again and I had forgot all about her. So I accepted her and then had to unfriend her again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never understood this follow/ unfollow stuff. If the guys an ass, just unfriend him and be done. Who gives a crap if he knows, he’s a dick.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: unfriending somebody on facebook? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I never understood this follow/ unfollow stuff. If the guys an ass, just unfriend him and be done. Who gives a crap if he knows, he’s a dick.

Exactly.

I unfriended a boat load of people on my list during the 2012 and 2016 election cycles. People's true colors come out during election time and both the right wing racists and left wing nuts got unfriended. It skewed about 90% right wing racists but that's how that cookie crumbled.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 14, 19 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can block what they post... I find that the best route. He thinks you're still friends and you don't have to see his "stuff"... I do this with some family members.
Quote Reply
Re: unfriending somebody on facebook? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Nova wrote:

Exactly.

I unfriended a boat load of people on my list during the 2012 and 2016 election cycles. People's true colors come out during election time and both the right wing racists and left wing nuts got unfriended. It skewed about 90% right wing racists but that's how that cookie crumbled.

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just unfriend him. He isn't your friend in real life, or online, so be done with it and unfriend him.

cerveloguy wrote:
I just did up a facebook page about a month ago. I was on 12 yrs ago for a short time but took myself off. My main purpose now is just to try to contact people who I haven't seen for awhile.

So this guy who I knew a little bit sends me a friend request which I accept. Always thought he was an OK guy for the little I knew him until I go on his page and WTF - he posts ten times a day, all extreme right wing hate stuff. He posted a really hateful "ban all Muslim" immigration post just yesterday and everything he posts has some sort of intolerant hate message. He has a bunch of followers cheering him on. If people come on my page and click on his page under my "friends" section, I'm afraid they might think I'm some how associated with his views.

I've never unfriended anybody before on facebook so I'm just wondering if you just slip off in a subtle manner that he might not notice or will he get a "you've been unfriended" notification. If its #2 then I feel he should get an explanation from me why he's getting the boot. If I can just slip off quietly I won't bother. Either way I've got to get him off my page. Just wondering how it works.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Also besides not following you can block him from seeing your future posts without unfriending. So your stuff won't show up on his homepage. It will look like you are not very active. If he were to go to your homepage he would only see posts from before you blocked him. If I don't like things people post on their walls it's "nothing to see here move along". It's their wall and they can post and present themselves however they like. It's how they interact on my wall that would be the determining factor to block or unfriend.
Quote Reply