Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearheads - a moment of silence
Quote | Reply
For the passing of John Haynes, creator of the Haynes manual.
I have owned 14 of them over the past 40 years. They weren't perfect, and now you can find most specific tasks on YouTube, but I really couldn't have kept my beaters on the road without them.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Gearheads - a moment of silence [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
I have owned 14 of them over the past 40 years. They weren't perfect, and now you can find most specific tasks on YouTube, but I really couldn't have kept my beaters on the road without them.

I owe a lot to Haynes manuals. I actually just bought one for my 1984 Kawasaki KZ750 a few months ago. Always been my go to bible when it came to fixing up cars or bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP. I'll pick Haynes over youtube most of the time. You never know for sure the quality of the advice on youtube. Also you often have got go through a bunch of crappy videos till you find a good one.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Gearheads - a moment of silence [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're a good start but there is nothing like the vehicle specific service manuals to help you get really confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

I saw the other day that he'd gone to that great repair bay in the sky. I know I've still got a few greasy paged Haynes manuals out in my garage. Prior to the internet age and YouTube, they were the best source for the DIY gearhead outside of the (pricey, if you could even get them) manufacturer manuals.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

He also wrote one for bicycles:

https://haynes.com/.../haynes-bicycle-book

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I haven't been able to do, drag a laptop/table under the car with greasy ass hands and find the info I need. RIP Haynes. He very taught more teen boys about auto mechanics than anyone.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply