Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - UPDATE
Quote | Reply
I am having a difficult time getting a title for a car I bought before Christmas. It is rather complicated. I will have a quick summary at the end for those who don't feel like reading it all.

I found a low mileage 2013 Nissan Rogue on Craigslist as a private local sell. The 50+ year old woman who owned it lost her job when a DOD contract was not renewed at the local Navy Base. When the hurricane hit she lost the apartment where she was staying and had been moving around. I felt sorry for her and agreed to pay $100 over her asking price which was fair.

When we got to Wells Fargo office, she told me that she owed more than the selling price, but that WF had agreed to settle for a lower amount since she was going to sell it. The only thing was that they hadn't told her exactly how much they would settle for, but she was willing to go ahead and write a check for the difference in the payoff.

I felt sorry for her situation, plus she has an adult autistic son, which I can identify with. I told her that if she went ahead and paid it off WF would probably not settle for less and she'd be out for whatever they agreed to settle for. So, I told her to wait until after they told her how much they would settle for, and then I'd give her the cashier check in exchange for the car and the Bill of Sale. She would then need to overnight the money to WF corporate office since the local guy said that it would probably go quicker that way. A couple of days later I handed her the check and she gave me the Bill of Sale and the car.

One note. Florida issues electronic titles, and the liens are filed electronically too. I figured it would take some time to get processed with Christmas and New Years, so I waited until after the first of the year and contacted her. She told me that they told her that it had been sent to the lien release department which was backlogged and that they would get to it soon. Each week since I have contacted her and asked her to get an update. She called and they kept telling her that it was backlogged. She even sent me a screen shot of her account showing the payment that was made and the final settlement amount of $795 which they were writing off.

After a month of the same story from WF, I was able to get some help from someone who told me that the account was still showing with a balance. I contacted her and she called a manager who told her that the lien would be released within 3 days. This was about two weeks ago. I asked again today and she told me that she had been on the phone for 2 hours and was told that they still hadn't released it, but that it would be released by Feb 15.

She said that the stress of dealing with it was affecting her health and that she was done calling them and would let me know if she got a lien release notification, and for me to do whatever I needed to do. She said to name WF in the lawsuit (???) since they had the money.

I had the feeling that she was about to bail on it, so I asked her if she would give me a power of attorney specifically for the car. She said that she would agree to do that, so we're going to meet up tomorrow to get it. I figured the state DMV might accept that along with the Bill of Sale in case she refused to show up or had a stroke before WF release it.

Once I get the POA, I'm going to ask her to forward any correspondence from WF where they agreed to settle for the balance. I'm beginning to have some doubts as to her truthfulness.

The DMV (local tag office) has issued two temporary tags, and the last one will not be renewed when it expires on March 1.

I have text messages for almost all communication. If this was any other bank but WF, I'd be doubting her story - but WF's past actions make me think the problem may be with them.

So, what are some of my options if WF stalls any longer, or if she lied to me about the settlement?

IF She told the truth and WF is not releasing the title due to some internal issues
1 - Is there a state department or agency that may be able to help me?
2 - If I have to hire a lawyer to get them to release the lien, can I sue WF for damages to recover my time and attorney fees?

IF She lied and WF did not agree to settle for the $10k that I paid her for the car?
1 - Did she commit a crime by selling the car and lying about paying it off?
2 - Can I sue her in small claims court for the $795 payoff amount if I have to pay it in order to get the title?
3 - Can I sue her for damages?

Will WF talk with me if I provide a Power of Attorney?

Any suggestions or advice?

Quick Summary as promised - I bought a car, but cannot get the lien released on electronic title. WF is either stalling or the seller lied about WF accepting a lesser amount since she lost her job and could not pay for the car.

This is a bit aggravating because the car was a gift for my wife and she won't be able to drive it after March 1 if this doesn't get handled. I went out of my way to help this woman because I felt sorry for her. If I hadn't been a softy, I would have required her to paid it off while we were at the bank and I probably wouldn't be going through this hassle.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Feb 20, 19 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this for a living.

You are screwed.

Most likely you are going to have to pay WF the deficiency balance (and btw, they won't even talk with you b/c it isn't your debt). So if she has been stringing you along you are looking at late fees etc. But the debt is hers, and she needs to be the one to pay it.

That being said FL is actually pretty consumer friendly on these things. What copies of paperwork/correspondence do you have with her showing WF agreed to settlement? The one thing WF does not want right now is what they term headline risk.

FL is ELT---a title can be released & re-issued in 2 days, tops.

That she told you "do what you have to do".....did you by chance get a copy of her DL? There are ways to force thru a title. And getting another set of temp tags is ez.

Just depends on what your time is worth. Where in FL are you? I might be able to get one of our dealerships to help you.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the future, if you or anyone else here wants to get a car, truck or SUV (or boat or motorcycle. etc.) just PM me. I have access nationwide to the major industry auctions (Manheim and Adesa along with Copart and IAAI and so forth) and can almost always find the vehicle anyone's interested in at wholesale prices somewhere in the U.S. At minimum, I can tell you what the model you're considering is currently fetching at the auto auctions (dealers get most of their used car inventory from the auctions, NOT from trade-ins). I have to charge $150 for the documentary legwork (to get a Minnesota title done up and overnighted to you), the auction buyer's fee (it's usually $125 to $175 and any transportation costs to get it to your address, but that's it. I don't charge my LR brethren anything extra and I'll print out any auction prices and run data to prove it. For example, today I bought a 2012 Chevy Captiva LT AWD online at the Flint, MI Adesa auto auction (they sold 1,903 vehicles today) with 41,000 miles on it and a condition rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 (that's very clean) for $7,100. It sells retail for far more than that. That's for a car that will come from an honest-to-God dealership, not a Craigslist seller.

Now, a couple of things about your particular situation:

1. Wells Fargo sucks when it comes to getting titles cleared up and then released, usually because there are several departments that have to sign off on such deals as you entered into. Most auto dealership title clerks hate dealing with them, even when it comes to simple 10-day payoff quotes.

2. Florida has one way of doing things when it comes to title transfers, assignments and reassignments and it doesn't make it easy to do any of those three when you have the situation you're dealing with. Personally, I've never heard of any auto lender agreeing to what amounts to a "car short sale." Normally, they'd rather repo the car and send it to auction and then go after the former owner for the negative balance. I've certainly never heard of Wells Fargo doing so, that's for sure.

3. Never, never, NEVER buy a car on a private party sale without a "clean, green" title already in the seller's hands. What you experienced is typical when automobile sellers try to do what you described. Car dealerships and auction houses have highly experienced title clerks whose sole job is to handle this stuff (which is why dealers sometimes (but not always) charge those "documentary fees."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
I do this for a living.

You are screwed.

Most likely you are going to have to pay WF the deficiency balance (and btw, they won't even talk with you b/c it isn't your debt). So if she has been stringing you along you are looking at late fees etc. But the debt is hers, and she needs to be the one to pay it.

That being said FL is actually pretty consumer friendly on these things. What copies of paperwork/correspondence do you have with her showing WF agreed to settlement? The one thing WF does not want right now is what they term headline risk.

FL is ELT---a title can be released & re-issued in 2 days, tops.

That she told you "do what you have to do".....did you by chance get a copy of her DL? There are ways to force thru a title. And getting another set of temp tags is ez.

Just depends on what your time is worth. Where in FL are you? I might be able to get one of our dealerships to help you.

Absolutely right, brother. It's the Craigslist shenanigans (because plenty of car sellers on Craigslist do shady stuff, like jump titles, sell without clean, green titles in hand... you name it) that are the root of the issue here (though I don't have any love for W-F, either heh. I sometimes find good deals on C.L. and will purchase a car from someone off that site, but if they try to hand me a title they've jumped I walk away 100-percent of the time. Too much curbstoning and no one needs the state DMV or SoS investigators up their ass. Ugh.

Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can pull a KSR tomorrow & see what the real story is. I'm friends with some of WFDS and can probably expedite some of your grief, if most of what she represented is true. If BK has a dealership that uses DT, they have a quick release service (which sucks BTW) which might expedite the title.

Not to give you nightmares, but are you sure she actually owned the car/was on title? Not to scare you but FL is the auto-scam capital of the world.

And btw, you bought a used Nissan. $800 extra isn't the end of the world. It has already depreciated that much since you bought it. Not trying to be harsh.....but there isn't a shittier/faster depreciating non-luxury car brand out there right now. It is the Asian Chrysler.

BK's offer is very generous. And will be in place until "one of those things" happen, as they always do in the used car biz. You can buy green-lit cars at auction everyday--at stupidly good prices, but it is one of those things where there is NO margin for error or hesitancy.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
A couple of days later I handed her the check and she gave me the Bill of Sale and the car.

How could she give you a bill of sale for a car that she does not own? That's a pig in a poke.

You may not want to hear this, but your best bet might be just to pay off the deficiency which I think you said was like $795.

Then, you could decide whether to chase the likely insolvent women who may really be having some times in life, or is just a common a crook (and maybe a bit of both).
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
I can pull a KSR tomorrow & see what the real story is. I'm friends with some of WFDS and can probably expedite some of your grief, if most of what she represented is true. If BK has a dealership that uses DT, they have a quick release service (which sucks BTW) which might expedite the title.

Not to give you nightmares, but are you sure she actually owned the car/was on title? Not to scare you but FL is the auto-scam capital of the world.

And btw, you bought a used Nissan. $800 extra isn't the end of the world. It has already depreciated that much since you bought it. Not trying to be harsh.....but there isn't a shittier/faster depreciating non-luxury car brand out there right now. It is the Asian Chrysler.

BK's offer is very generous. And will be in place until "one of those things" happen, as they always do in the used car biz. You can buy green-lit cars at auction everyday--at stupidly good prices, but it is one of those things where there is NO margin for error or hesitancy.

You ain't lying about that (both about the Nissan and the MoE thing). I research the HELL out of the cars I'm going to look at when they come up to the block, including hands-on stuff if I'm near the auction site. I like the units from sellers that are GMT ("guaranteed motor and transmission) with a green light. Those red light/yellow light units without a GMT? I don't touch 'em. And I NEVER buy salvage-titled cars. Too much liability and I don't want the hassle. And like you say, there's no margin for error these days, and it could all go south in an instance. Right now, I'm more about DealerBlock and OVE than anything else. It's less profit margin but it's definitely a more assured vehicle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mopdahl and BK

Thanks for the advice and offers to help. Mopdahl - I'll send you a PM with the VIN and account number.

When I get the POA tomorrow, I'll get a copy of her driver's license. Once I have that, I'll ask her for any correspondence regarding the settlement amount. If she doesn't provide anything, I'll know she's probably lying.

My wife doesn't like bigger vehicles but wanted an SUV, so I had been looking for a Rav4 or CRV for over a month. I couldn't find any for sale anywhere near here, so I decided to look at the Rogue and found this one. She'll drive it until the wheels fall off, so I'm not worried about resale value. I didn't realize they depreciated that much more than the Toyota or Honda.

BK - I may take you up on your offer to find something later this year. If my wife gets used to the Rogue and thinks that she could step up in size I might try to find her a Toyota Highlander.

Thanks again for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
A couple of days later I handed her the check and she gave me the Bill of Sale and the car.

How could she give you a bill of sale for a car that she does not own? That's a pig in a poke.

You may not want to hear this, but your best bet might be just to pay off the deficiency which I think you said was like $795.

Then, you could decide whether to chase the likely insolvent women who may really be having some times in life, or is just a common a crook (and maybe a bit of both).

She "owned" it in as much as the title is in her name but with a lien on it. That is pretty common here in FL. I'm suspecting that I may have to pay it off too, whether WF is stalling or she is.

As to going after her. If she lied to me after I tried to help her, she needs to be held accountable. I wouldn't expect someone to be sympathetic to me if I screwed them out of $800 and lied to them - but then I wouldn't do that to someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, you know it about Nissan. My wife’s cousin manages a high volume Nissan dealership, so we rolled the dice and purchased a new Rogue from him at a deal too good to pass up, whatever he would have paid. It’s been 5 years and we’ve had no problems, paid nearly nothing for maintenance (dealer paid for the most part), but the damn thing sounds like a 11 year old car and I’m not confident it will last another 5 years as planned. Meanwhile my CRV is just a year newer than hers and runs like it’s fresh off the lot. I’m galvanized in my “only Honda or Toyota brands” decision now. Might have to dump her Rogue for the $63.72 it’ll be worth in 2 years and get her a Pilot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting someone at WF to honor the auto-only POA may prove to be a challenge. Your best bet is getting some shmuck at a local branch to give up the info with you present, because their phone customer service or lending folks will likely stonewall you. That at least might give you the chance to know if she’s lying or not. It also wouldn’t hurt to file a complaint if she does have that small of a balance and can also prove they agreed to write the remainder off. Has she shown you that in writing? If she can, file a complaint and make it clear you’re formally filing a complaint. Submit it in writing. Banks are under much higher regulatory scrutiny to respond to official complaints now, and they tend do. Chances are that she’s either lying or clueless, though, making it all the more likely your quickest course of action is ponying up the additional cash and dealing with her in small claims if you deem it worth your time and money.

This kind of stuff is exactly why many banks have eliminated private party auto lending. It’s a minefield of losses and headaches, even the simplest of deals.

rick_pcfl wrote:
jw13 wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

She "owned" it in as much as the title is in her name but with a lien on it. That is pretty common here in FL. I'm suspecting that I may have to pay it off too, whether WF is stalling or she is.

As to going after her. If she lied to me after I tried to help her, she needs to be held accountable. I wouldn't expect someone to be sympathetic to me if I screwed them out of $800 and lied to them - but then I wouldn't do that to someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Damn, you know it about Nissan. My wife’s cousin manages a high volume Nissan dealership, so we rolled the dice and purchased a new Rogue from him at a deal too good to pass up, whatever he would have paid. It’s been 5 years and we’ve had no problems, paid nearly nothing for maintenance (dealer paid for the most part), but the damn thing sounds like a 11 year old car and I’m not confident it will last another 5 years as planned. Meanwhile my CRV is just a year newer than hers and runs like it’s fresh off the lot. I’m galvanized in my “only Honda or Toyota brands” decision now. Might have to dump her Rogue for the $63.72 it’ll be worth in 2 years and get her a Pilot.

Except for their performance stuff, Nissan tends to put underpowered engines in their rides. The Rogue, while it's nice, is like that. I think the last couple model years, the engine's only good for about 175hp, which isn't a lot for an SUV that's fairly heavy, relatively speaking, and is the lowest hp among its major competitors (RAV4 and CR-V as well as Escape and so forth). The engine noise creeps into the cabin and it doesn't sound much better when you're standing outside it while it's idling.

Some of this disappoints me, because a lot of Nissan's tech and cabin and body fitment and engines benefit from their connection to the Infiniti marque, so you'd think they wouldn't have that engine noise problem. Me, I've been an Infiniti guy for years and love them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, exactly. It’s loud as hell and rides tougher than a crossover should. It wasn’t that way for the first 3.5 years, but now sounds like a 13 year old 3/4 ton Chevy and rides like a 5 year old F150 that’s lived a life hauling the bass boat around. Everything seems OK performance wise aside from that, but it just feels and sounds prematurely aged.

Infiniti’s are quite awesome though. But I think my next ride will be a Lexus or a decked out Pilot (& a jet boat for chasing trout on the river), although that’s 8 years out when the boy is old enough to inherit my car for his first ride. I’ve a feeling Mrs MWR will be getting something new much sooner. The upside of a Nissan? They depreciate so rapidly that the smell of spilled yogurt and lattes shouldn’t cause much more significant depreciation!

big kahuna wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Except for their performance stuff, Nissan tends to put underpowered engines in their rides. The Rogue, while it's nice, is like that. I think the last couple model years, the engine's only good for about 175hp, which isn't a lot for an SUV that's fairly heavy, relatively speaking, and is the lowest hp among its major competitors (RAV4 and CR-V as well as Escape and so forth). The engine noise creeps into the cabin and it doesn't sound much better when you're standing outside it while it's idling.

Some of this disappoints me, because a lot of Nissan's tech and cabin and body fitment and engines benefit from their connection to the Infiniti marque, so you'd think they wouldn't have that engine noise problem. Me, I've been an Infiniti guy for years and love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the Nissan products, I'd put the Rogue #3 behind the Titan & Frontier. Well #4 behind the GTR.

It isn't a bad product. But vs CRV and RAV it isn't close. Heck the newer model Escapes don't suck as much as they used to. Maybe even whatever the name of Hyundai's is. And Lexus' R-whatever they are on continue to rock (and 5-6 year old ones are GREAT values as you get all the toys but the soccer moms have moved on).

The Rogue is a Top 10 crossover. Problem is that there are only 12 or so. That being said I'd get a Rogue over anything made in Europe.

Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I white-label a finco for one of the nation's largest Nissan dealerships. B/C of an NDA I can't talk to much about it...lets just say that the performance of their portfolio is now literally almost 50% worse than it was 4 years ago. Same FICO (including grade inflation)/origination metrics, etc. What has changed? Average severity of loss is up over $2300 per unit. 100% brand related. When Chrysler 200's were killed off, Nissan jumped into the fleet game big, and destroyed their brand in the process. And that was before the sub-compact market went in the toilet. A 4 year old Nissan Versa is literally worth 25% of what it invoiced for....and even that is probably too much.

That being said Hyundai is next to go down that path. I travel a lot & always chose different cars at Enterprise so I can personally asses them. Hyundai of today is not what it was of 3 years ago. Then again compared to whatever the POS that Jeep is putting out as their crossover Asia/Japan has little to worry about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, that’s a severe difference. I was shocked to hear Rogue grew to the highest volume crossover sale, but then I opened my eyes and saw them everywhere. The damn unreliable CVTs they use don’t help. A well made CVT is fine in my opinion, but a bad one shows its spots. As I understand it Nissan hasn’t taken any time or ownership to do the R&D for their own and has fully outsourced them. Get enough of those going bad with people who cannot afford a repair and I can see a portfolio hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Damn, that’s a severe difference. I was shocked to hear Rogue grew to the highest volume crossover sale, but then I opened my eyes and saw them everywhere. The damn unreliable CVTs they use don’t help. A well made CVT is fine in my opinion, but a bad one shows its spots. As I understand it Nissan hasn’t taken any time or ownership to do the R&D for their own and has fully outsourced them. Get enough of those going bad with people who cannot afford a repair and I can see a portfolio hit.

Mop's exactly right when it comes to Nissan and loss severity and such. It still somewhat depends on the part of the country the Nissans are running through the auction block, but they're not fetching similar prices compared to what similar Toyotas and Hondas are. Their condition grades and "damages" (what it might cost a dealer to recondition the defects pointed out by the auction after rating it) are lower on the first and higher on the second (some of it's build quality and durability). But I've learned to not 100-percent trust those grades, either. A lot of us think the big auctions sometimes shade condition ratings for their bigger sellers or favored dealers.

Listen to what Mr. Mop's pointing out about those Hyundais, too. I think cars are something like a $149 billion annual industry, so the money's to be made (sometimes so easily you'd laugh -- especially if you watched me sit at a computer and sell a car at auction I just bought at that auction and walk away with several hundred dollars, heh), but at Mop's high-level (far above the humble 'B' lot "independent auto dealer" folks, believe me) he definitely sees things well before we would and far, far before the public would, that's for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's the Craigslist shenanigans (because plenty of car sellers on Craigslist do shady stuff, like jump titles, sell without clean, green titles in hand... you name it)

You are making it sound more complicated than it is. I've bought 4 vehicles in the past four years off CL or Facebook (two were motos). Helped my son buy one too. A person can do it with common sense and you don't need to pay a commission to a used car seller. If unsure of something, call or visit the local DMV where you'll be registering the car (they can even check the title for you or you can call the state for that).

If there is another party involved, like a bank, close the deal at a branch location where they sign off.

Now, if we want to talk shenanigans, a used car dealer said . . . .

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - lawyer or state consumer affairs help? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
It's the Craigslist shenanigans (because plenty of car sellers on Craigslist do shady stuff, like jump titles, sell without clean, green titles in hand... you name it)

You are making it sound more complicated than it is. I've bought 4 vehicles in the past four years off CL or Facebook (two were motos). Helped my son buy one too. A person can do it with common sense and you don't need to pay a commission to a used car seller. If unsure of something, call or visit the local DMV where you'll be registering the car (they can even check the title for you or you can call the state for that).

If there is another party involved, like a bank, close the deal at a branch location where they sign off.

Now, if we want to talk shenanigans, a used car dealer said . . . .

I'm talking about trying to find cars for reconditioning and then sale on a lot (or at a public auto auction or even an industry auction). It's the title jumping, or "curbstoning," that buyers for dealers have to watch for. If I'm looking at a C.L. car and the owner hands me a title he's jumped I walk away 100-percent of the time. Too many legal liability issues and, besides all that, title jumping ("curbstoning") is ILLEGAL. The rest of it is standard issue "All buyers are liars and sellers are worse" stuff. All sellers of homes and cars think their homes or cars are golden, gleaming jewels. All buyers think those same properties are ghetto holes or hoopdies, heh.

Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - UPDATE [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally!!! I found out today that the lien has been released. It took almost 2 months but it is released. I ended up speaking with the seller's daughter because the seller was apparently overwhelmed by my once a week text messages asking for a status update.

I want to publicly thank Mopdahl who provided some useful information for me that I probably wouldn't have been able to get elsewhere.

I thought I was going to have to pay the car off myself and sue the seller in small claims court, but it was just a matter of Wells Fargo dragging their feet.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchased car - having difficulty getting title - UPDATE [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Finally!!! I found out today that the lien has been released. It took almost 2 months but it is released. I ended up speaking with the seller's daughter because the seller was apparently overwhelmed by my once a week text messages asking for a status update.

I want to publicly thank Mopdahl who provided some useful information for me that I probably wouldn't have been able to get elsewhere.

I thought I was going to have to pay the car off myself and sue the seller in small claims court, but it was just a matter of Wells Fargo dragging their feet.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you! (and not surprised to hear that Wells Fargo was the problem)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

He's the man when it comes to this stuff, and the car biz in general, that's for sure. A brilliant guy when it comes to the percentages (and I'm not just saying that because he handed me my ass on that STUPID 2012 presidential race bet we made with each other, heh). Nobody better in the business, IMHO.

Quote Reply