Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you have already established you are a single issue voter. Imagine you have two candidates and agree with one of them on 50% of things and agree with the other on only 80% of things. If you choose the 50% over the 80% because somewhere in that 20% is a single issue you feel very strongly about, then you are a single issue voter.

Middle candidates are not supported by single issue voters because most single issue topics are roughly split 50/50 in support so they propose compromise.
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1992-2000 version of Bill Clinton.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have a problem with Joe because he says he is pro gun control. I'm not sure he is because he was caught with an open mic saying all those gun control laws he proposed won't have any affect on crime. Maybe he just says the thing the pro gun control people want to hear, but won't actually work towards it.

He also had that horrible interview with google where he recommended shooting a double barrel shot gun from the balcony to scare away criminals. Of course that would break multiple gun laws. So was he that stupid or just trying to scuttle any chance of gun laws passing?

These statements and positions mean essentially nothing.

Obama was pro-gun control. What's the net result of his impact on gun laws over 8 years and countless massacres?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ergopower wrote:
Closest I can think of

Having lived in Ohio, it is comical to me that Republicans think Kasich is middle of the road just because he isn't a raving lunatic.

My cousin-in-law, lifelong conservative, recently terminated from the closing Lordstown GM plant in Youngstown OH, was pro-Trump, anti-Kasich, because Kasich cut funding in a way that affected his wife's job.

It always comes down to who hits you in the wallet, doesn't it? I wonder where he stands on Trump these days.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hit refresh and have fun.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Feb 15, 19 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
But you have already established you are a single issue voter. Imagine you have two candidates and agree with one of them on 50% of things and agree with the other on only 80% of things. If you choose the 50% over the 80% because somewhere in that 20% is a single issue you feel very strongly about, then you are a single issue voter.

Middle candidates are not supported by single issue voters because most single issue topics are roughly split 50/50 in support so they propose compromise.

The problem with that there are a lot of single issue voters.

environment
abortion
healthcare
education
taxes
gun control

Lots people have a single issue so people who have compromised all those issues are going to have a problem getting elected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was my point above. A lot of people feel that they are moderate and many of them are on most issues, but not on all issues. The most black and white are taxes, abortion, gun control and LGBT rights. Education, healthcare and environment have their extremists, but they allow for a middle road that many can buy into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, gun control would be your only, or 1 problem with this ticket?
I may, or may not agree with JB's gun control proposal(s), but that would be why I would consider him a "middle candidate".

I'd be interested in your idea of a "middle POTUS candidate".
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
So, gun control would be your only, or 1 problem with this ticket?
I may, or may not agree with JB's gun control proposal(s), but that would be why I would consider him a "middle candidate".

I'd be interested in your idea of a "middle POTUS candidate".

Well as Obama's Gun Czar, he did try to pass about 10 initiatives that would have not brought down murders. I would hard call that middle of the road on gun control. Off course there are those who want to remove all guns, tax bullets at 50%, etc so perhaps it is not extreme left.
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Until we define middle-of-the-road on abortion there can be no such candidate, can there?

It is such an all-or-nothing, hot button issue and people just won’t budge much if at all.

It’s an interesting question and I don’t mean to reject it on its face. I just can’t get past what I identify as the toughest issue to find a middle (followed closely by gun control).

I feel like leaving the issue up to the states is a pretty middle of the road stance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does any politician actually have a policy to take away all guns?
Quote Reply
Re: What would the ideal "middle" presidential candidate look like? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Does any politician actually have a policy to take away all guns?

some of these quotes sure make it sound like some do.

Excerpted from Nobody wants to take your guns?
“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.” Andrew Cuomo
“I do not believe in people owning guns. Guns should be owned only by [the] police and military. I am going to do everything I can to disarm this state.” Michael Dukakis
“[To get a] permit to own a firearm, that person should undergo an exhaustive criminal background check. In addition, an applicant should give up his right to privacy and submit his medical records for review to see if the person has ever had a problem with alcohol, drugs or mental illness . . . The Constitution doesn’t count!” John Silber, former chancellor of Boston University and candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. Speech before the Quequechan Club of Fall River, MA. August 16, 1990
“I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about. Is that it will happen one very small step at a time so that by the time, um, people have woken up, quote, to what’s happened, it’s gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the banning of semiassault military weapons that are military weapons, not household weapons, is the first step.” Mayor Barbara Fass, Stockton, CA
“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.” Senator Diane Feinstein, 1993
“The Brady Bill is the minimum step Congress should take…we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns, except in a few cases.” U.S. Representative William Clay, quoted in the St. Louis Post Dispatch on May 6, 1991.
“I don’t care about crime, I just want to get the guns.” Senator Howard Metzenbaum, 1994
“My bill … establishes a 6-month grace period for the turning in of all handguns.” U.S. Representative Major Owens, Congressional Record, 11/10/93
“We want everything on the table. This is a moment of opportunity. There’s no question about it…We’re on a roll now, and I think we’ve got to take the–you know, we’re gonna push as hard as we can and as far as we can.” Illinois Rep Jan Schakowsky says assault rifle ban just the beginning, ‘moment of opportunity’ and seeks to ban handguns (2013). Illinois Rep Jan Schakowsky says assault rifle ban just the beginning, ‘moment of opportunity’ and seeks to ban handguns
“People who own guns are essentially a sickness in our souls who must be cleansed.” Colorado Senator (Majority Leader) John Morse. 2013
“No one in this country should have guns.” Superior Court Judge, Robert C. Brunetti, Bristol, CT. September, 2013
Quote Reply

Prev Next