Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
if you are buying a 6.0 with under 150k that hasnt already been bulletproofed than you deserve a tombstone in the idiots cemetery.

I've only ever seen one around here with the 6.0. Not my cup of tea.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These MBs, BMWs and Porsches are singing to me!! But first I have to deal with the 4 blizzards that have hit back to back and buried my home. But in 10 days...NV will ease that shoveling pain. Keep the cars coming! I’m trying to be patient and not just jump because I have the money in my pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
These MBs, BMWs and Porsches are singing to me!! But first I have to deal with the 4 blizzards that have hit back to back and buried my home. But in 10 days...NV will ease that shoveling pain. Keep the cars coming! I’m trying to be patient and not just jump because I have the money in my pocket.

Yeah, never do that. You're a car salesman's dream customer when you do, believe me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as it's properly maintained and - ideally - bulletproofed I wouldn't be upset with the 6.0. The 7.3 is great, but that is a big honkin' engine.
Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
As long as it's properly maintained and - ideally - bulletproofed I wouldn't be upset with the 6.0. The 7.3 is great, but that is a big honkin' engine.

You and Mopdahl are absolutely right. And it's his business to know the risk management side of making loans on all these rides we're discussing. I don't worry about you or anyone else here: you all know what you're doing.

And man, ain't that 7.3 a big bastard? Heh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
I'm not a porsche expert compared to the guys who live on rennlist, but it is my business to know their valuations & problems. This one:
1. Owned by ACA, so it is a repo from a previous owner with subprime credit. Most likely bought thru Carmax, which can be a good thing as they are pretty good about recon before putting them on their lot. Bad because if customer couldn't afford the payments, they likely didn't do preventative maintenance. Subprime + Porsche usually don't work out too well.
2. 4 owners. At least 2 too many without full maintenance records.
3. Presents well--their remarketing team did a good job of cleaning up but they couldn't clear the SRS code via the generic odb tool most of these guys use which means either a bad sensor or something worse.
4. Knock knock. On an IMS bearing engine. Yeah, no.

You can but an '07 with <40k miles for the same price retail in Seal Gray. Granted it is automatic instead of a manual. Or you can buy a slightly higher mile 996TT and drive it for 1-2 years, have a better driving experience, and only spend maintenance on it as there will be zero depreciation.

Yup. This one is going to sit a while, I think. I didn't want to bring up about ACA, but I knew right away when I saw who the seller was what the story was going to be. I think everybody it might have been on it started running the "subprime buyer plus Porsche that was repo'd" scenarios through their heads,. Probably spotty maintenance in parts of this car's life, too. No thankee, mister.

You're also right on when it comes to the 996TT. You know how it is, though. People think that newer always means better when it comes to these rides, for some unknown reason

2005 997 you can still swap the IMS bearing like in the 996. Although IMS failures were less likely on 997, 2006-2008 you can swap the bearing. Your driving taking a chance. In many ways, this makes it a worse car than a 996.

I’m a Porsche collector. I have 2 996 turbos right now. Bought an 11k mile manual trans car recently and selling my 43k mile tiptronic 996TT. They are great cars. Checks the box on owning a 911TT without the IMS issue of 996 and less money than a 997TT. Frankly, 996 headlights don’t bother me and I actually think the 996 interior look more masculine and “the business” of a turbo than a 997 interior does. I was close to pulling the trigger on a 1997 911 Turbo years back when they were about $60k. Honestly, the interior never “did it” for me. I didn’t jump on it and then the prices rocketed and I’m not a buyer at the current price levels. So, 996 TT it was for me. Honestly, I like the interior of a 944 Turbo over the air cooled 911.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
My bro will be okay in the long run....because...3 weeks after having bought it he got it up to AK, and immediately it got t-boned by an uninsured crack head. His current fight is with his insurance for loss of value. Lol

That’s one reason I’m not looking at new or out of a dealership, the loss of value is swift. Mine will be a keeper for a long time, so I’m not worried about keeping a good value, but also makes it okay for the title to have a fender bender on it.

This is what I love about the car biz. Wait a few and another one even better than the one before will surely come along. Now, like Mopdahl, I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the 997 V1, but this one is definitely better than one sitting up in Lansing. And they're asking for pretty much the same amount of green.

It's sitting at an Atlanta-area new car store (a franchise store), too, and I'm sure they had no idea in the world how to market or demo or sell the thing. Because they're a Mitsubishi new car store. What the hell it's doing on their lot is beyond me.

Anyway, here's another 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S in what looks like good condition and with only 48,000 on the odometer and for $34,000 or "make an offer" (means they'll take less than $34,000). Looks like it's got that Tiptronic automatic transmission, or whatever it is Porsche call the setup. It's via Manheim's OVE/Manheim Express site (dealer site).

I don't want to get in the middle of husbanding a ride purchase like this one, but if someone were of a mind, I'm sure a call to the dealership (it's on the front and back license plates in the pics) with an offer would result in a quick "YES! PLEASE TAKE THIS THING OFF OUR HANDS BEFORE WE LOSE OUR SHIRTS!" Heh.

Just an FYI- 2009 and newer was the car to buy for 997 as there were no more IMS to worry about as the engine was redesigned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's an 3-5 year old full size F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, Sierra going for these days? 4X4, either crew or dbl cab. I always got a kick out of the auctions after running a Copart site for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [cldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cldave wrote:
What's an 3-5 year old full size F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, Sierra going for these days? 4X4, either crew or dbl cab. I always got a kick out of the auctions after running a Copart site for a few years.

I'll check today. There's a Copart site less than 2 miles from my home. Lots of people like going there and rehabbing those rides, that's for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [cldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cldave wrote:

i know that the Tundra is massively over priced, along with every other used Toyota truck chassis vehicle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
cldave wrote:

i know that the Tundra is massively over priced, along with every other used Toyota truck chassis vehicle.

Yeah, every Toyota truck I looked at is going for top dollar at the auctions. Same for any Honda, no matter the miles on either make. It's crazy what the bidding goes like when a Toyota or Honda rolls through the lane. Really, any full-size pick-em-up truck is doing well at the auctions. Even those Rams. Heh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
That depends what side of ownership you are on. I got a 2013 contractor-model crew cab in 2014 (dealer could not move it since it had column shift and did not have the super glitzy stereo/nav system) and it's been awesome. The only reason I was even looking at that one to replace my 2000 Tundra access cab, was that my kid had grown to be over six feet tall and he didn't fit in the back anymore. I put about 120,000 miles on the 2000 and the only out-of-pocket extraordinary service it needed was to replace a rear axle bearing, which I could probably have argued to be a warranty thing because I think they did have a recall on the seals.

There are trucks with greater towing and payload capacity... but for what I need (vacations towing a 25 foot travel trailer or an flat-deck car hauler) I wouldn't get any other truck.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Newest Auto Auction Addition [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are 964's overpriced? I'd like to find one requiring work but I don't seem to see many. A c4 but they seem scarce

Where to find one?

Also, anyone any idea how to remove an entire wing mirror assembly that's in the corner of a car window. Like this?

https://goo.gl/images/HJ1Rb5

Would I have to remove door panel? That seems mad
Quote Reply

Prev Next