Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me an aero wheelset for draft legal sprints
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for switch down this year so need to add some umpf to my road bike (no TTs allowed for sprints in UK)

I've got a Giant TCR disc from last season. Was thinking of 50-60mm wheelset (I'm pretty heavy so stability not an issue) - or maybe 50 front, 70 back.

I have thru axles if that matters.

Budget isn't open-ended - would prefer not to drop Zipp cash if possible.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an aero wheelset for draft legal sprints [simski81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For draft legal--

https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=black_grey

Good wheels, great price, great service and this:

Quote:
Every set of Bontrager carbon wheels is backed by the Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Program. In the unlikely event that you damage your Bontrager carbon wheels within the first two years of ownership, we’ll repair or replace them for free.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an aero wheelset for draft legal sprints [simski81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simski81 wrote:
I'm looking for switch down this year so need to add some umpf to my road bike (no TTs allowed for sprints in UK)

I've got a Giant TCR disc from last season. Was thinking of 50-60mm wheelset (I'm pretty heavy so stability not an issue) - or maybe 50 front, 70 back.

I have thru axles if that matters.

Budget isn't open-ended - would prefer not to drop Zipp cash if possible.

Thanks

Unless you are the lone guy out of T1, aero is less important than weight - you will be doing a lot of slowdown and sprinting out of the corner during the DL races, and the key to stay in the pack is similar to crit races. Now if you can find a set that's both aero and light weight, that would be great. I think for me, anything more than 1500g is too heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant's house-brand wheels seem pretty decent and very reasonably price.

With discs (i.e without the brake track being a factor) I would opt for any decently-shaped cheap offering. Plenty of UK brands (and "UK" brands that just rebadge Chinese wheels) should offer something.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be too concerned about weight - as long as the course is flat.

If import duties don't eat you alive, look for Hed Jet 6+ disc wheels when they go on sale. I got mine from Competitive Cyclist for just under $900 US.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an aero wheelset for draft legal sprints [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
For draft legal--

https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=black_grey

Good wheels, great price, great service and this:

Quote:
Every set of Bontrager carbon wheels is backed by the Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Program. In the unlikely event that you damage your Bontrager carbon wheels within the first two years of ownership, we’ll repair or replace them for free.

This is probably a pretty good suggestion. The price and quality are both good. The only knock against the Bontrager wheels was braking on the carbon rim, particularly in wet conditions. Obviously that isn't a problem with disc brakes.
Quote Reply