Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would fit into their fitness segment, rather than their outdoor segment.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo has done quite well and just got an influx of case from a VC ....I am waiting on that watch to see what they bring to the table.....I believe if they do it right they could really hammer Garmin (especially Garmin's crappy software). I would love a Wahoo & TR or Zwift and TR..:)))))

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Garmin ecosystem... and I have a Tacx Neo.. so for me this sounds good. I have the wahoo desk and have owned the Kickr in the past... only thing I'd buy now is the fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this deal has more to do with Garmin helping Tacx gain foothold with their smart bike to compete with Peloton than it does helping Tacx compete with Wahoo in direct drive trainers.

The market is MUCH bigger for stationary trainers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I think this deal has more to do with Garmin helping Tacx gain foothold with their smart bike to compete with Peloton than it does helping Tacx compete with Wahoo in direct drive trainers.

The market is MUCH bigger for stationary trainers.

I’ve had that smart bike on pre-order from day one. It keeps getting pushed back. :-(

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I think this deal has more to do with Garmin helping Tacx gain foothold with their smart bike to compete with Peloton than it does helping Tacx compete with Wahoo in direct drive trainers. The market is MUCH bigger for stationary trainers.

i'm interested in seeing how this plays out. and seeing who pops up to give me the info i'm missing. but at first blush i don't think garmin is trying to help tacx; i think garmin is trying to help garmin, and garmin was completely shut out of the most important growth market in cycling: stationary. now it isn't. now it's in the game.

there are 2 other companies shut out of stationary, except that their parts are ridden on bikes that are ridden stationary: shimano and SRAM. i'd be surprised if shimano didn't at least take a pretty serious look at tacx. i would've if i was shimano. SRAM, no. SRAM, it needs just to make its own trainer. via quarq. quarq knows power, and quarq bought velotron. quarq knows a lot. if quarq doesn't make either a smart trainer or a peloton-style bike i think it's missing an opportunity. in fact, shimano also makes a power meter, a smart crank, and a sorta kinda bike thru the manufacture of its fit bike. so, shimano could also place itself in the game.

i'm just surprised that neither SRAM nor shimano has gotten themselves into stationary. if you're not in this market you're missing the boat.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does this mean we can look forward to the next generation Tacx trainer to be a $1000+ beta version model that has a great marketing buzz, has the release date moved back half a dozen times, and then ships with major design flaws that they try to band aid together by telling everyone that they need rub baby oil on the connectors in order for it to work ..or at least work sometimes????

says the frustrated guy who bought (and returned) the Vector 3s
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Post-money on the Zwift $120M raise was $600M.

Garmin's problem is that their software is a decade behind Wahoo. Their head units are a huge PITA to set-up.

You obviously haven't seen this. https://joshua0.dreamwidth.org/65779.html

Secondly, Garmin's head unit and watch are pretty darn easy to set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's another aspect to this. We all know Garmin for their GPS watches and bike computers, and GPS is a core competency. But Garmin is also huge in aviation, specifically cockpit instrumentation. They have a major aerospace engineering unit in Salem, Oregon. I think it will be very interesting to see how Garmin leverages their expertise in data acquisition, processing, and graphical display. They are playing very much from their strength here, and none of their competitors in the "glass cockpit" business have in-house expertise in sports and fitness hardware. I'll concede that Garmin has ground to cover in software; maybe they should buy Fitbit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need some time to figure out how I feel about this. I have a Tacx Vortex Smart - a pretty low end, but controllable, trainer. Totally bulletproof over 3+ years. Software stinks, but with Zwift, Trainerroad, Sufferfest, etc., who cares as long as the FE-C works? Garmin. Yeah, Garmin. I love what they try to do, but my hardware experiences stink (but customer support is great). I've replaced my 920xt (altimeter, warranty) and my V3 (twice, then gave up). My 305 is as bulletproof as my Tacx and could lay down a better GPS track than any modern Garmin device, I'm confident (no power measurement, though). So, does this mean that Garmin will crapify Tacx hardware? Or is it a real opportunity for integration? Dunno. BUT, right now, I'm wearing a loaner Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR because my replacement 920xt says that I'm a few 100 m under sea level at the moment (really at 200 m above). So I'm thinking that my replacement 920xt is not long for this world and is out of warranty...so what's next...? I'm worried that my first prediction (crapify) is more likely to be true...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there is the Zwift stationary bike/ smart bike trainer-all-in-one in development...seems like it may be the further future of indoor riding where you can have the entire mechanical and software tied together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see what Wahoo will do in response....and waiting for the watch...come on Wahoo....rooting for you. I also wonder what will happen to Training Peaks (standalone training platform) and Trainer Road (which I love) and how Zwift will respond now. They have to make a move now for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd been hoping for Zwift to acquire TrainerRoad, but now I wonder if Zwift and Wahoo aren't a more natural combination. The TR stuff might not be that difficult to build into Zwift from scratch.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wonder if this is the reason the smart bike i had preordered that was suppose to ship this month got pushed back to august.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo has the kickr and the kickr climb. If they combined them into a smart bike with some virtual shifting it could be pretty cool.

You can sign up for a Peleton membership without buying the bike. If wahoo made a full indoor bike they could theoretically make it for Zwift and Peleton. Use Zwift and Zwift controls the resistance. Use Peleton and it’s erg mode with plus/minus buttons to increase/decrease resistance instead of spinning a knob.

Honestly, I would buy that, and I have a kickr and climb. My wife would use Peleton in a second. Spin bikes are also quickly adjustable so it would be trivial to adjust back and forth for us.

This also lets Wahoo hedge its bets a bit with Zwift. If Zwift starts selling hardware it’s going to be stiff competition immediately for Wahoo. Also let’s them get in with an entire new (to them) market with Peleton.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Munq E. Wrench wrote:
I'd been hoping for Zwift to acquire TrainerRoad, but now I wonder if Zwift and Wahoo aren't a more natural combination. The TR stuff might not be that difficult to build into Zwift from scratch.

I thought about this but it doesn't make sense. Zwift can build workouts just like TrainerRoad. All someone needs to do is just add more workouts to Zwift's training section.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Munq E. Wrench wrote:

I thought about this but it doesn't make sense. Zwift can build workouts just like TrainerRoad. All someone needs to do is just add more workouts to Zwift's training section.

I absolutely agree, but... [shouting at clouds] WHY HAVEN'T THEY DONE IT?!

It feels like zwift could afford wahoo, but it would take most of that last investment. It's in the ballpark anyway.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its more tedious than you think. At least in the zwift workout creator. Can't even copy and paste!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Its more tedious than you think. At least in the zwift workout creator. Can't even copy and paste!

completely agree. zwifts workout environment is absolute trash. for them being the giant they are they are falling all over their own face in this area.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:

Tedious is a word. So is annoying. I do one of two things:

1. Run TR on an Android tablet beside me while I run Zwift off a PC and display it on the TV
2. Manually create the workout in Zwift, and then run it on the PC and display it on the TV.

If the workouts (and plans) were baked into Zwift, it would simplify things considerably. Eliminating a subscription would be gravy.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The .ZWO files are text based and can easily be created in a text editor or using a macro, which I have done in excel. You simply put the time and %FTP in the cells (columns C and D in my example) and the program can spit out a .zwo file in the directory you choose (rwo 4, column C), Right now it only works for steady state segments (no ramping) but if anyone is interested I can gladly share it. Makes creating custom workouts very easy.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 13, 19 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin signs purchase agreement to acquire Tacx [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can build and save your workouts in Golden Cheetah and import into Zwift (save as .zwo). I did a bunch of TR-style workouts this way when I was on Zwift for a while. GC's workout builder is better than most, IMO. If you want to make workouts based on %FTP, you can just create a new athlete with an FTP of 100 and the workouts will scale accordingly.

BryanD wrote:
Munq E. Wrench wrote:

What's on Zwift has a lot of workouts available. Some plans, some single workouts. Just download and copy to your workout folder and they'll show up in Zwift.
Last edited by: Newduguy: Feb 13, 19 12:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next