Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri shoe recommendation
Quote | Reply
I need new bike shoes and would like to get a tri specific shoe for the first time. First and foremost, I want a shoe that is comfortable for long rides, including iron-distance rides. Second, I want a shoe that is easy to get in and out of during transitions at Oly. distance races. Finally, I would like to spend less than $150 and will not spend more than $200. What shoe best fits the bill?

I have seen several pairs of DMT R3 Tri shoes on closeout, but know nothing about them. Does anyone have an opinion about that shoe?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the Shimano SH-TR01 first. It has a carbon sole and will be the stiffest. It is also quite durable. If that doesn't work for you, then go to the Sidi T-1. The Shimanos and the Sidis have the best multisport design with the reverse closure strap. The Carnac TRS-6 might be candidate, but would be third in my book. Any of these shoes falls in the $150-$200 range for a new shoe, not on sale. If you can find them on sale somewhere, you'll find they are the best bargains out there. Although I'm a big Macca fan and have the Kestrel Talon SL, I just didn't care for the DMT shoes that he wears. The last felt funny on my foot. I have the Shimanos and Sidis. The Shimanos have a bit more toe room. The Sidis are somewhat narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the recommendation for the Shimano TR-01's. Absolutely awesome shoes if they fit you correctly. They are by far the most comfy cycling shoes (not just tri shoes) that I've worn. If the Shimano road shoes are as comfy as the TR-01's, I'm going to ditch my Sidi Genius3's soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Sidi T1's. Mine are the old style ones (without the carbon sole) and although probably flexier than a carbon sole, they're still pretty good. I'm sure I'm losing MUCH more time to issues other than whatever power I'm losing through the injected plastic sole of my shoes.

Hwy Nineteen has a new shoe out that looks and feels really nice too. I tried 'em on at Endurosport and they felt great. Unfortunately, the smallest men's size they make is a 7 - which is still too big for me in a cycling shoe. Single strap, neoprene liner, nice heel loop.

Both should be well within your price range.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Pearl Izumi SLR triathlon shoes, also with carbon sole. They also look great and are rather cheap if you compare them with Sidi or shimano.
I paid 120euro and i never have put on my Sidi shoes since.
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [IronFrankMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton eveyone. I didn't even know Shimano made a Tri shoe. I will try on the Shimano, Sidi, and PI's and buy whatever fits best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of Northwave shoes for Christmas. I think they are called Caiman. I really like them although I have only had them on the trainer. They did require some assembly involving three different lengths of screws. Another reason why I can't wait until spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, "The Best" overall cycling shoes are road cycling shoes. The Tri specific shoes always seem to be a bit of a comprimise - particularly when it comes to long term comfort. Unfortunatly, many of the cycling shoe companies have gone to putting funky ratcheting closures on many of their road shoes which may rule them out for tri use, which is a shame.

All that being said, I have had a look at the new Shimano Tri shoes and I must say that they look very good. If they fit your feet, and fit is another huge, critical variable, then they could be the shoes for you.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck (or anyone else)-what road shoe would you recommend that is both comfortable for long rides and passable for quick transitions?
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the Shimano TR-01 is a very comfortable shoe, I never wear socks and have used this shoe up to 1/2 IM. Also very fast transitions in shorter races, I leave mine clipped on and transition on the bike which is made easy due to the single reverse strap. I can't compare to a high end road shoe with mulitlple straps, ratchets etc. as they are the only shoe I own other than a mid line pair of road shoes I use for training that don't compare.
Quote Reply
Re: tri shoe recommendation [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the tri specific shoes good for long rides and long races? What would be the difference from bike shoes? Less straps?

Gracias!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply